Dethleffs hob rubber seal

Deffheads

Hi, Our 2006 Dethleffs 7870 A class needs new seals around the gas hob and sink unit. I had a quote from Pullingers for just the hob seal it was nearly £47, which I think is a ridiculous price for a rubber seal. Does anyone know of a cheaper supplier?

Whilst I may have your attention, what measures can be taken to improve fuel consumption on a 2.8 jtd engine, average mpg is 20.

I can’t help with the rubber seal although strange that new ones are needed. If we’re talking about the same thing, the seals on my 2003 Dethleffs are as good as they’ve ever been. It’s not as if they suffer much wear and tear. Any idea why yours have worn?

Re mpg, we have the 2.8jtd . I don’t know what mpg we achieve but I think that if the engine is professionally serviced then it will come down to weight and driving style. Ie travel light, don’t accelerate hard, avoid wasting energy braking and when on motorways/autoroutes don’t drive at more than 60 mph – basically drive a bit like an HGV. It makes for more relaxed driving as well as saving fuel.

If you already do that stuff then it may be that one of the diesel engine experts on here will suggest some engine checks.

As above - can only comment on the engine.

My 2.8jtd of 2003 vintage returns about 5.5 to 6 mpl.

In old money that's about 25 to 27mpg

We cruise at about 2700 rpm which is about 56/7 mph.

I read somewhere that you should try to keep the rpm above 2100 at all times as that is the turbo cut in point. Using the turbo is more fuel efficient than not. So on hills or slopes select whichever gear gives you about 2500 rpm and stick with it whatever your speed.

If the engine wallahs say that is wrong, then it still gives me 5.5 - 6 miles which I reckon is about as good as you are likely to get.

I do my own servicing in terms of Oils and filters etc.

Every so often give the engine a bit of wellie! Good for the turbo waste gate and other complicated bits!

Also every so often give it a bottle of diesel treatment - again with a bit of wellie! Good for the injectors so I'm told!

Jeremy

Thanks for the replies. I have tried seal direct to no avail. The mpg is down to weight, I'm sure as we are 5000 kg. As for driving style we only cruise about 55mph when possible.

I am sure that someone had put a higher top gear ratio in the gearbox, any thoughts?

Deffheads - 2022-08-01 9:39 AM

I am sure that someone had put a higher top gear ratio in the gearbox, any thoughts?

Well, if you have the same gear box as I have (five forward gears) the fifth gear is a big jump from the fourth and more akin to the sixth gear on most vehicles. I suspect attempting to replace with an even higher gear ratio will result in an underpowered vehicle especially on inclines and you’ll find yourself more often having to change down into fourth.

Bruce, I am sure that the seals around hob and sink are knackered by over use, as we have full timed in our motorhome for 6 years, unlike most motorhomes that only get used for a few weeks a year. As you are Kent based, do you go to any of the East Kent DA meets? We are going to Rye rally very soon.

Deffheads - 2022-08-02 7:15 AM

Bruce, I am sure that the seals around hob and sink are knackered by over use, as we have full timed in our motorhome for 6 years, unlike most motorhomes that only get used for a few weeks a year. As you are Kent based, do you go to any of the East Kent DA meets? We are going to Rye rally very soon.

Understood, yes, six years full timing would task any habitation area. Re East Kent DA, nope. We’ve no interest in motorhomes per se other than our own to keep it maintained, ie it’s just a means to an end (spontaneous low cost continental breaks) so we’d not attend motorhome meets, exhibitions etc.

Archived