Diesel Fuel getting old and likely to get older

DavyS

I last filled my tank 9 months ago and due to circumstance have not used the motorhome much so it is down to quarter full now.

I need to take the motorhome out for its 3-monthly thrash - will I have problems?

If as a result of the Covid-19 I dont use it for a while then will I have bigger problems?

Some say fill the tank and it will be OK but then I might potentially, depending upon the virus, not use it for a year or so. Then I will have a bigger problem - a whole tankful of rubbish diesel?

Diesel should be good in storage for 6 to 12 months depending how it is stored.

Here is an extract from the RAC website...

"How long can I keep fuel for?

As for diesel, it can remain usable for between six and 12 months before becoming ‘gummy’ which, if used, can clog up filters and cause you issues with your engine."

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/does-fuel-go-off-old-fuel-and-fuel-storage-questions-answered/

So if you put, say, half a tank in now you should be pretty confident of using within 12 months.

The problem comes if you put contaminated fuel in, ie water contaminated. Then you risk the growth of 'Diesel bug'. But I think that risk is pretty slim if you fill at a reputable filling station.

As an aside I always try to fill at a main branded station as information I have read says they have better additive packages in the fuel than supermarket filling stations. But I may be wrong!

Keith.

The diesel itself will not age like more modern petrols, though there is a "but".

What it can do is support a fungal growth [cladosporium resinae] which really can clog up filters and corrode expensive injection equipment.

However, to be able to get that started there must be some water present, it's quite rare from large turn over forecourts to pick water up.

Another "however", if the fuel tank is not full, as the ambiet temperature changes the tank's "air" space can breathe, so theoretically moisture vapour can get in there and condense to activate the fungus spores.

Some modern tanks have a vacuum valve to minimise that breathing in and out, and plastic tanks don't lead to as much condensing as metal ones, so the problem is not too great where these are featured.

You can help quite effectively by topping the tank as full as it can be, indeed a tad overfill, so that air volume is smaller and thus any breathing is as reduced as possible, and a big plus, there will be very little tank "air" surface to condense on.

Diesel unlike petrol does not vapourise, so above the diesel there is this wretched air, in a petrol vehicle tank there is no air, just petrol fumes, so on that breathing air in and out score there is no problem

Ocsid, thanks for the reply, I think I will do what you suggest and fill the tank up now and it should then be good for 12 months at least

My tank is plastic and when I remove the filler cap there is a rush of air in so I think it might support a vacuum rather than draw air in when the tank cools.

Does your Elddis Accordo 105 March 2015 use AdBlue?

According to what I have read (no personal experience), if kept in a sealed container AdBlue has a shelf life of up to 18 months. If you do a search for, "AdBlue shelf life" you will get lots of reading material.

I personally have left both diesel and petrol vehicles for up to 3 months without experiencing any starting or running problems.

spospe - 2020-03-22 10:09 PM

Does your Elddis Accordo 105 March 2015 use AdBlue?

According to what I have read (no personal experience), if kept in a sealed container AdBlue has a shelf life of up to 18 months. If you do a search for, "AdBlue shelf life" you will get lots of reading material.

I personally have left both diesel and petrol vehicles for up to 3 months without experiencing any starting or running problems.

My 2019 does ,I have no idea how much is in its tank ,my concern is the injector . If it crystallises over time it could be an expensive problem.

DavyS - 2020-03-22 6:09 PM

Ocsid, thanks for the reply, I think I will do what you suggest and fill the tank up now and it should then be good for 12 months at least

Almost immediately after I wrote that, both clubs announced that their sites, including CLs, would close.Then the government asked people not to visit second homes and campsites. In my view the more outdoor spaces that are closed then the more people will congregate in the only places left, parks and beaches. Which is the opposite of what is needed.

So I will not be filling my tank cos empty 90 litres or so of diesel would be expensive and wasteful. So I will do nothing, leaving the 20 litres of diesel in my tank but fully expecting that in 12 months it will be 18 months old and unusable.

And incidentally my motorhome does not use adblue.

If you filled c9 months ago it will be summer grade diesel in the tank. This is more susceptible to "gumming" especially when the temperature drops & being in the tank for a long period

IMHO, top up the tank now & it will be the winter grade on the forecourts ( there's no problem mixing grades).

This will see you through if we get a cold spell & won't be affected if driving is suspended until summer.

It's always advisable to have winter grade diesel in the tank if the vehicle is to be laid up for any lengthy period.

DavyS - 2020-03-23 9:08 AM

So I will not be filling my tank cos empty 90 litres or so of diesel would be expensive and wasteful..

IMO, a wrong, unwise and poorly thought out call.

Diesel is presently not as expensive as it was, and probably cheaper than it will be when the "lockdown" is lifted and everyone will be using their vehicles again.

Wasteful? Why should that be with the precausions given there is next to no chance of the diesel going "off", there seems here to be a confusion between diesel and petrol fuels.

Your best protection of your engines fuel system, which compared to anything you spend on filling the tank, will work out mightly expensive, and actually to the stock of diesel in the tank, both are way best served by leaving it filled up.

witzend - 2020-03-23 9:25 AM

I know theres a additive to prolong the life of petrol is there not some thing similar for diesel ?

I have been using an additive in my Landrover in Australia for many years. Its a Biocide to prevent algae which occurs in diesel when moisture is present and stood for long periods. The one I use is called Diesel power but plenty of different brands of Biocide additives pop up if you google 'diesel algae' or 'diesel bacteria'

DavyS - 2020-03-23 9:08 AM So I will not be filling my tank cos empty 90 litres or so of diesel would be expensive and wasteful. So I will do nothing, leaving the 20 litres of diesel in my tank but fully expecting that in 12 months it will be 18 months old and unusable. .

I'd full it up a full tank less condensation less water less chance of algae

Definitely fill the tank to the brim so there is no space for air and thus condensation and water. Put in an additive to stabilise the fuel. Many obtained at garages and online.

I have used Marine 16 in my boat tank for 20 years and never had any problems even after a 7 month winter layup.

Dick

From the OP:

Diesel is cheap but I meant to say that if in 12 months I had to drain a full tank would be expensive if I had to pay someone to do it and then dispose of the diesel.

I have a little more information to add. I looked at a photo of a spare tank for a 290 Ducato/Boxer and it has a top vent tube which is not open but runs back to the filler. It seems that when the fuel cap is inserted it blocks the vent. Consequently when I open the cap after a long run there is a definite rush of air into the tank. It would seem that the fuel tanks on modern motorhomes are plastic and are sealed so dont keep drawing air in daily as they expand and contract as temperature changes.

Archived