Diesel Heater installation

vaughan

I'm about to order a diesel air heater for my Hobby motorhome (fitted inside ) and wondered about the exhaust going through the double floor. I've been advised to use some eberspacher glassfibre 'hose' to insulate the pipe where it goes through the floor. Has anyone else fitted a diesel heater and had to go through the double floor for the exhaust? If so, what did you use. I'm just concerned about the heat build up as the floors are timber.

Vaughan

It might be useful to know who gave you that advice...

Webasto offers an insulated sleeve for the exhaust (advert here)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webasto-1319670A-Flex-Waermeschuetz-Waermeschutzschlauch-Isolierung-Di-28-L-324mm-/323883408282

but I would have thought the glass-fibre product advertised here

https://www.butlertechnik.com/installation-accessories-c63/marine-accessories-c115/webasto-or-eberspacher-exhaust-lagging-insulation-40mm-11004-41v0001-p2098

should be fine if you just want to protect the wood in the floor from direct contact with the metal exhaust.

The following link is to an article on a marine installation (involving a Webasto Air Top 2000S heater) with a photo showing the sleeve protecting the exhaust pipe.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/installing-a-boat-heater-33132

As the glass-fibre sleeving is readily available and not particularly expensive, if you wanted to increase the protection you could use use two sleeves, one inside the other. Presumably you’ll be planning to take the exhaust through the double floor fairly close to the heater, rather than run the exhaust ‘long distance’ inside the double floor, so heat radiating from the exhaust through the sleeving shouldn’t be an issue.

My Eberspacher marine installation kit came with the exhaust pipe already made up, insulated with glass fibre and inside a c. 60mm flexible ducting. You then cut 60mm through any bulkheads etc. to pass this prepared exhaust through.

This should work for a motorhome floor too and the marine exhaust might be available separately from the kit.

Capture.JPG.f627b566f2c2da69377b4a4ec3800565.JPG

Exhaust going directly underneath heater, through double floor and out to 2 silencers in series clipped along chassis, facing the rear.

You're right about the cost of the sleeving; worth doubling up on it.

I'm assuming the best is to fit the exhaust and sleeving as a snug fit rather than a loose fit as I don't want the possibility of road detritus coming into the double floor which has no access.

I've been told that it is possible to take a T off the diesel fuel return line to feed the heater. Anyone done that as I don't really want to drop the fuel tank and start drilling the top for a dip tube?

vaughan - 2019-12-06 12:22 PM

That exhaust outer pipe looks like plastic with a 'cardboard' inner. Am I right as I can buy that pipe for not a lot of money and use the glassfibre sleeve on the actual exhaust pipe.

I think the outer is the same construction as the Eberspacher ducting, but bear in mind that genuine Eber ducting is much heavier duty and thicker than some of the other ducting around e.g. the flimsy rubbish that comes with the Chinese heaters. It has a metal outer layer that is quite hard to cut.

Archived