Diesel additives, do you use them ?

BS20

Peugeot Boxer 2.2hdi 2005

I have been chatting to a friend who said that he adds an additive to his tank when he fills up at a garage (He has a delivery van 2006) and he said I should do so as well.

I don't think it will be of use as our MH is usually run for 100 miles plus on most trips out on the motorway, so the engine gets hot enough to burn off carbon.

As we are low mileage at around 24,000 miles do you think I would benefit from any additives ?

Mike

I buy Redex Diesel and Petrol additive in small containers single dose, from the pound shops or Asda £2 each it is enough for a full tank it says on the bottle, I have used both diesel and petrol additive this way for years and my vans sail through the MOTs as do our cars in the emission tests, in fact the MOT tester was amazed last year by my 2.8jtd 2004 Fiat Vans emission result, and I told him that I used the additive regularly and he said that it is obviously doing its job?, I only ever buy Supermarket diesel and Petrol , some folk say it is cheap and nasty stuff ,also Spain Portugal France etc. but hey ho it works for me, My van passed its MOT again today no problem or advisories but I did put 2 new front tyres on it 2 weeks ago , so is the additive worth the bother, well its a YES from me.

I owned a 1992 Toyota hilux surf 4X4 for 14 years and used Redex diesel

addative for years, it always passed the MOT emissons test, but failed on

corrosion this year :-( :-( best car I ever owned, 350,000km and still doing

service in Gambia today. And yes, I use Redex in the M/H today.

Additives, with the exception of AdBlue in later engines are unnecessary & waste of money.

They are a throwback from years ago, when fuels were not as refined as today & an engine decoke was a regular requirement.

Legislation regarding sulphur, etc, since the 1990's has dramatically reduced levels & oil companies spend huge amounts formulating additives to ensure engines run much cleaner.

Archived