Diesel engine oil

Simon

Guest Simon
Can somebody explain to me the difference between synthetic and mineral diesel engine oil , and which one should I use in my Ducato based motorhome. any information would be appreciated.

Guest Derek Uzzell
1: For difference between synthetic and mineral oils, have a look at http://www.bestsynthetic.com/whataresyn.shtml 2: The appropriate oil for a vehicle will depend on the particular model and engine. Ducatos have been made since 1994 (I think) with a variety of motors. Best advice is always to follow the manufacturer's handbook recommendation.

Guest Clive
Synthetic oils have a viscosity when cold which is very near the viscosity at the engine working temperature. The molecular structure of synthetic oils is more robust so it will last longer. It also costs twice as much. Operationally, synthetic oils greatly reduce the cold starting battery currents during the winter especially. The economies gained in modern vehicles that use synthetic oils is by increasing the service intervals to say 20,000 miles or 2 years. The saving is the labour content. BUT you just cannot put synthetic oils into an older engine and expect to be able to do this. Especially diesel engines. Modern diesels have additional filtering systems to remove the black soot from the lubricating oil, frequently by centrifugal seperators. This is necessary to keep the oil clean. Even so. diesels on synthetic oils mostly only extend the service intervals from 6 months to 12 months. Lastly, if the engine is well worn then synthetic oil will find the leaks quite quickly!. If however you engine has been "superchipped" to give it more poke then the use of synthetic oils is recomended but the service intervals must remain as stated in the handbook. Hope that helps

Archived