Diesel motorhomes - obsolete ?

Malo37

At the moment there is no clear idea on fast things will progress. In the UK emission zones are few and only one effects motorhomes. Across some parts of europe they are more wide spread, but still little if any permanent bans on euro5. Personaly for our euro4 I've got a couple of stickers and just getting on with it, how does the saying go? "It's not worth worrying about something you can't do anything about"

I suspect that the majority of vehicle excise duty hikes will be for newer vehicles as retrospective taxes are generally viewed by governments as harder to justify and unfair (and hence can be more easily challenged in court.)

My feeling is that the immediate threat of not being able to drive a diesel-powered motorhome is somewhat over-hyped. I suspect the main initial tightening of restrictions will be where they are at present, in large cities and hence shouldn't effect most motorhome users very much.

Are diesel-powered vehicles set to become a thing of the past - Probably eventually yes. However, to quote Mark Twain “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

At present no alternative is available for the commercial sector.

They have trialed electric in a hgv but at a massive cost.

I’m due to try the hybrid ford Custom soon.

I’ve just purchased the Mini Countryman hybrid for the wife and it has limitations.

They are hitting new vehicles with excessive road tax costs.

Ie. my new ford custom Torneo on order will cost £1,200 for road tax per year.

I look forward to an alternative fuel for the commercial market including MH base vehicles, but I think it’s some time away yet.

Malo37 - 2018-04-04 12:29 AM

How long will it be before my diesel motorhome is banned from so many places it will become unusable ?

Will Euro5 engines be taxed off the road and if so when?

Any ideas ?

As Den says - there is no real alternative to commercial delivery vans at the moment so I reckon we are o.k. for a few years yet.

...and if any party tries to ban us all too quickly we can vote 'em out !

;-)

malc d - 2018-04-04 7:21 PM

Malo37 - 2018-04-04 12:29 AM

How long will it be before my diesel motorhome is banned from so many places it will become unusable ?

Will Euro5 engines be taxed off the road and if so when?

Any ideas ?

As Den says - there is no real alternative to commercial delivery vans at the moment so I reckon we are o.k. for a few years yet.

...and if any party tries to ban us all too quickly we can vote 'em out !

;-)

And even if there is a viable solution on the horizon there isn't the (electric) infrastructure to support it yet.

Davis

Archived