Difference between 3.5 and 3.8ton van?

chris

We are looking into buying our next van and are considering various models. Does anyone know if there are cost differences for 3.5 or 3.8 tons ie. road tax, insurance, tolls. Hubby is concerned that at 70 (in a few years), he will have to prove he can drive a big van. Can anyone enlighten me on the main differences between driving the 2 weights? #Thanks Chris

Guest david lloyd
Hi Chris Certainly at age 70 you have to pass the medical to retain your 'rights' to be able to drive over 3500kg vehicles - and I thing every 5 years thereafter. In addition, there are additional costs for vehicles over 3500kg on toll roads in many EU countries - there are also lower speed limits on some roads. When selecting our new vehicle (Knaus Sun Ti)I took a conscious decision to go for a 3500kg chassis and soon found out that the vehicle I chose actually has as good, if not better, payload than many equivalent British built vans.

Guest david lloyd
Hi Chris I take it you are the same Chris asking about the Chausson Allegro too? Yes we have just gone throught the process of finding a replacement for our Startraveller that will fit under the carport at 2.7m. We wanted a fixed bed model and looked at all the recent ones - particularly those on the new Renault Master - and including the Chausson range. After compiling our ideal specification we compared any van below 2.7m and eventually shortlisted four: Knaus Sun ti 600LF Knaus Sun Ti 650MF Dethleffs Esprit RT6844 Burstner Delfin T680 We originally thought the Knaus 600LF would come out tops - and in the initial assessment (when I gave marks to each of the things that matched our criteria) it did come out top. However, when we finally saw them side by side at Lowdhams we went for the Knaus 650MF - it offered so much more in terms of usable space, kitchen etc. I have to say that, although it is seriously more money than our Autocruise, it shows in the quality of build and in practical issues such as tank capacities, fridge freezer and so on. Your final choice of van is always going to be a very personal thing dependent upon the layout you want, facilities you want, how you intend to use it and so on. But we think we have finally found the right van for us and yes I can recommend the Knaus. Good luck with the hunt. David

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi CHRIS You have to renew your license EVERY THREE YEARS after the age of 70 and at least get the doctor to sign to say that you are fit to drive a vehicle over 3500kg I have just received my papers to renew my license Also how can you be sure that you will pass the test at the next change? I have met truck drivers (aged 50) who were apparently perfectly fit Then just failed the medical with no signs of ill health We were both fit (outdoor work plenty of exercise etc) The wife felt unwell She was diagnosed as diabetic and within 3 weeks came out of hospital after a major (life saving) operation we can still travel to Europe and have plans to go further We have friends who were also fit at 70 then heart problems came on and were put on tablets They continued towing a caravan until over 80

Guest keith T
The very significant differences between 3.5 and 3.8 ton or more weight vans is not highlighted enough in test oin any of the M/Caravan Mags, I feel. I also do not think some dealers are aware of theses. You need to consided, inter alia, the points of age for your dirving licence, and costs perhaps, but I notice as well as the reduced speed limits, there are mnay road where 3.5ton is max permissable weight. This can restict use of some very nice roads, which in the lower weight van are perfectly acceptable. We looked at a Rapido recently A class Fiat based, which was available in both, and although in the end decided against either (kept our existing Rapido in fact) we would only have gone for the 3.5t version, for which payload was probably adequate.

The key points can be summarised as: 1. At 70 you have to renew your licence every 3 years. To retain rights to C1 (over 3500 Kgs) you must pass the equivalent of the HGV Drivers' medical and your Doctor will charge for this (anything from £20 to £120!). 2. Vehicles over 3500 Kgs are registered as Private HGV (NOT PLG) and currently pay £15 more per annum in road tax. They are still, however, subject to the same MoT rules as smaller motorhomes (up to 7500 Kgs anyway). Some insurers will not cover Private HGV motorhomes, but many will. 3. The UK speed limits are lower for vans with an unladen weight of over 3050Kgs, which any 3800Kg Max Wt vehicle is likely to be. Take 10mph off Dual and Single carriageway limits. 4. Foreign speed limits are also lower (down to 50mph on German motorways, for example) and tolls are higher (though they may not always realise you're over 3500Kgs). Some curious restrictions will also apply: in Germany, for example, you become an HGV for the purpose of motorway lane restrictions, which can mean nearside lane only during busy periods or even throughout the day. 5. Many Continental minor roads have 3500Kg weight limits. 6. You are limiting your resale market: any UK resident who passed their test after 1.1.97 has to take extra tests to be able to drive over 3500Kgs. That means anyone now over 26! Most will not bother (the test are not trivial! Hope that helps.

Guest CHRISTINE
Thanks MEL, You answered my questions. As hubby is in his 66th year he is thinking ahead. I will still be able to drive if there is a problem but we really want a lighter van if possible rather than go through all this red tape which is bound to change again in a few years I am sure. Chris

Guest Paul D
sorry Mel E , but you are wrong in point 2, the road tax for a larger van is the same as up to 3500kg, ie £165 per year. I know because i just taxed my larger van yesterday, also look at the government website.

Guest keith T
Hi again - ref the road tax, I am confused following the above posting. My 3.5ton Fiat Rapido has just been retaxed, and cost for 12 months was £170....was I overcharged then?

Guest Paul D
yes! look at the actual disc. What is the amount next to "rate of duty" it should say £165. If not then there must be an anomoly. did you pay by credit card as there is an extra charge for this?

Guest keith T
There seems to be some anomoly here - having looked at the DVLA website, there is a difference (it seems!) on first date of registration, whether before , or after, 1st M

Guest CHRIS EVANS
Thanks to all and especially Mel E as I dug out an article you wrote in Dec 04 MMM. (I assume you are the Mel E?) Ordered our new van today at 3.8ton with the knowledge that we can downplate in several years time if hubby does not go for the medicals. Thanks all Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest enodreven
Hi, Just renewed my road tax and it was £165 (4000kg) private HGV. as for whether to go for under 3500 or over. i think all of the main points have been covered, my reasoning was that to obtain the quality and room that i wanted and have a reasonable payload i didn't have any choice, it appears to me if you want 5/6 berth with thick uphoslstry and heavy well made cupboards ALCO chassis double floor winterised monocouple body etc. and a payload that matches at least 4 people ?? then i couldn't find one under 3500kg hope that helps

Guest Brian P
I had my 2.8 Ducatto upgraded from 3500 to 3850 last year.This made it Private heavy goods.When my tax renewal came some time later it it was for £165.First registered Sept 2000.

Guest CHRIS
Before we can register our new van we have to show our driving license to prove we can drive a vehicle this size. In work I had to produce my license too to show that I could drive the mini bus.

Archived