Different diesels

Guest Don

Guest Michael Barratt
I think you may find that the different prices of diesel relates to who buys it. The more expensive diesel will be aimed towards the private motorist and as such the Fuel pump nozzles are small for cars. The cheaper diesel will aimed at the commercial driver and the fuel nozzle will be a lot bigger (hence unable to fill private car up) I travelled across France and Belgium with a Transit van (350) and was able to fill up by using the `commercial` pump, whilst my companians with cars were resigned to have to pay more for their fuel in their cars. Hope this helps.

Is the more expensive one the same as we sometimes have here - the 'super' diesel which is supposed to have some of the impurities taken out. Or am I waffling again?

Guest Michael Barratt
As far as I am aware the diesel is the same at both prices/pumps. As to whether it is `low sulphur` as is often seen over here I don`t know. The primary reason for the availability of the cheaper diesel is to `assist` the commecial driver. No wonder our truckers get hacked off with fuel prices over here!!

I always thought that the lower cost diesel was that purchased from Supermarkets and the higher cost from garages. But I believe its the same fuel. Just make sure that you can get under the canopy and through the tight bends by the pay kiosks before you enter with your motorhome.

Thanks everybody, not sure if I'm any wiser! And thanks to Clive, but the different diesels I am referring to are available next to each other at the same garage.

Ah, Then in that case the more expensive one is probably part bio diesel (rape seed oil or similar) and the cheaper one is straight forward mineral oil out of the ground. Both work the same. Your choice - GREEN (very slightly) or POCKET ! (Tesco in the UK do the same)

Archived