Digiboxes and LCD TVs

Guest Don B

We have been told that if we use an LCD TV with satellite we should use a high performance scart lead, not the cheap and cheerful type. Does anybody know anything about this?

Guest Ian Stewart
I'm using a "normal" SCART lead (similar to those I use at home to connect all the various boxes) with a Sat receiver and LCD TV. I've never had a problem. Presumably "special" leads are more expensive ? Like gold plated audio leads . . . errr, why ? (Unless you've got a couple of thousand pounds worth of Hi-Fi in a dedicated environment)

Well Digi signals are not like your normal TV or audio signal Audio is an analogue signal - a small drop in voltage is noticed by a lower output and you can just turn up thr volume control digital signals consist of On and Off states only ( Commonly refered to as " 1 " and " 0 " ) Now this may be a bit difficult for some dumbo's If the "1" is not of sufficient value it is not reccognised - The signal does not exist - So the information received is recognised as something different So while digital signals are supposed to give you a better tone (yes it is possible to detect abetter tone) if yo input CRAP signals you will get CRAP output - or possibly NONE at all Please yourself what type of leads you choose to use, but; you have been told Ex Computer Engineer & Lecturer

Guest Ian Stewart
I don't see what you're getting at here with the reference to digital signals and why we got the reference to "dumbos" . In the days when we only had analogue signals from satellites, we didn't tend to use SCART leads anyway, the signal went via normal RF cables (for the uninitiated in jargon - like a normal TV aerial lead) from receiver to TV. If you haven't got the digital signal in the first instance, the quality of the SCART won't make a blind bit of difference ! No signal is NO signal. In the motorhome, I'm using 19" LCD TV connected via a SCART lead to a Technomate Combi box, ie Satellite and Freeview reception. At home, the TV is connected, via a SCART 4-way switching box to VHS, DVD, Sat Receiver/Positioner and Tuner Amp. These are all *normal* SCART (Peritel if you prefer) *fully wired" leads of decent quality. Obviously beware of "brand new" leads on market stalls at 50p each, you only pay for what you get. OTOH, at 50p a time, you can take a chance, they may be OK. But, as I originally said, I suspect the OP is being asked to purchase a higher quality component than he actually needs.

Sorry Ian You weren't the target of my comments, but the Nerd who followed you Think he is a "Wooly Pully" type No I dont deliberately set out to pull people down but when someone - Who obviously does not understant, or want to, the technical intricasies of a subject and tries to hid behind a smoke screen that renders all new things as too much trouble and those who do are "Anoraks" Well thet deserve to be castigated. Like you I come from analogue systems days, but I have been draged screaming into the modern days. I have come through computers that used punched cards, or tica tape ans "VALVES" to digital electronics and micro chips

PeteC You say “If the "1" is not of sufficient value it is not recognised”. What about longitudinal and vertical parity checking? Surely rather than the bit not being recognised the whole packet should be slung out as defective. At least, that’s the way it worked when I was an R&D programmer on IBM mainframes.

Corect Bill Have to simplify things for the non technical - Something you have to learn as a lecturer - Aim you lesson to the level of your students Also if giving a lecture (on whatever) Never assume your audience understands even simple things Here we are talking about digital sound and TV signals

Please gentlemen, I didn't mean you all to start shouting at each other! Could you please translate into English, and tell me if an expensive scart lead is any better, i.e. one of these gold-plated ones? or am I all right with the one that came with the digibox?

I hesitate to intrude buy my experience is that there is no noticeable difference in signal quality. The only thing that I have found recently is a scart lead that claims to stay in place and not readily jump out on the move. That I have found helpful.

Hi Don I am not shouting at anybody - well only those who are "too clever ?" to accept change You asked a sensible question and as such deserve a sensible answer which I hope to give - there are some technical niceties involved if as you say your equipment work quite well - DONT TRY TO FIX IT - that is one of my beliefs However if you do find difficulties you have one untried alternative for bad signals - these gold contacts are new and intended to cut out poor connections

(I don't know the TV answer) but regarding things gold plated be aware that most can be produced cheaper than a plain original. Bathroom taps for instance. Just take a normal chrome one, decorate it with gold and charge x 4 for it. the only cost is the gold coating, nothing else !! Perhaps the leads are the same?

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Bill, As PeteC said in his last post the gold ensures a good contact only. Gold doesn't tarnish or oxidise like many other metals and so the contact should remain as good as the moment you put it in. As for the signal business, in general PeteC is absolutely correct, apart from one important detail. The Satellite receiver, (or terrestrial digibox for that matter) converts the digital signal received into a good old analogue signal that the TV can deal with. Therefor the scart cable is not carrying a digital signal at all and all the business of ones and zeros is irrelevant to this thread. I would reccomend the use of better quality scart (or perritel if you prefer) cables because they are individually shielded wires inside and therefor not as prone to interference. The gold contact leads will not make a noticeable difference though. Regards, Dave Newell. dave@davenewell.co.uk

Archived