Dimensions of a type L6 battery

Earthmover

The dimensions of an “L6” vehicle battery are generally quoted as

Length=393mm (or sometimes 394mm)

Width=175mm

Height=190mm

As shown here, there are alternative codes that relate to a vehicle battery’s dimensions

https://www.batteryequivalents.com/the-best-car-battery-brands-types-features-and-specifications.html

(I can’t find off-hand anything to say exactly what the “L” relates to.)

It used to be with Ducato X250/X290 models - where the starter battery is housed in a compartment in the floor in front of the left cab seat - that an L6-size battery was fitted as standard when the vehicle had a 3.0litre motor and an L5-size battery (353mm x 175mm x 190mm) was fitted when the vehicle had a smaller capacity motor. But my understanding was that the L6-size battery was no longer factory-fitted after the 3.0litre motor was dropped from the Ducato range.

When I replaced the L5-size starter-battery on my 2015 Ducato X290 I did toy with the idea of fitting an L6-size battery instead, but - when I inspected the battery compartment - I wasn’t sure if a) the longer battery would go in or b) if it would go in whether there might be problems connecting/venting it. In the end I chose to stick with an L5-size battery.

Many thanks Derek,

Your reply has also provided the answer to another query I had?, My previous motor home had a marvellous 3 Litre engine and the battery was bigger dimension wise than the one I have now!. When i first looked in the battery compartment I could see that the battery fitted was quite a bit smaller, so I asked Fiat what battery was actually fitted in the new motorhome?, they replied a Type L6 105A/H/850A. The engine I have now is a 2.3, so based on your info it must be a L5. I must stress there is nothing wrong with it but it had me puzzled.

Regards Em

2020 Fiat Ducato models with the “EcoPack” have a Start&Stop system as standard. It’s quite possible that these vehicles have an L6-size battery to cope with the repeated starting load and that the battery itself will be AGM or EFB type.

When you contacted Fiat, unless you were specific regarding when your motorhome was built, and just asked (say) “What starter-battery does my new motorhome, have?” if the latest Ducatos now have an L6-size battery, that’s likely what Fiat would have told you.

Archived