Discrimination

monique.hubrechtsgm

My partner saw a post of me and a reaction of Derek Uzell on 4-1 2019. In that post he take the liberty to say: what are you doing here whit the google translation from belgium. And difficult to understand going to your Native sites. What is his position here from 2006-03-25. If that is the case in general from the forum i quit the nice chat.

Yes, I too thought Derek's remarks a little out of character for someone who usually appears to give considered contributions.  Perhaps Derek should also consider remarking on the incorrect grammar of many of us British contributors.  Don't be put off by this, continue to contribute. 

If you read the relevant forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-Engine-Battery/50985/

you’ll see that Monique (unprovoked) had said

“...The discussions on this site are endless and boring to read.”

My response (having been provoked!) was as follows

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-01-03 7:36 PM

...The discussions on this site are endless and boring to read.

Then why do you bother to do it?

Are there no Belgian/Dutch motorhome forums that would be more relevant and interesting for you, and that would allow you to write/read in your native language rather than using Dutch-into-English on-line translation software that often makes your postings extremely difficult to understand?

If Monique criticises this forum’s discussions as being endlessly boring (which is open to question) I’ve no compunction in pointing out that her contributions are difficult to understand (which is very definitely often the case).

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-20 6:28 PM

If you read the relevant forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-Engine-Battery/50985/

you’ll see that Monique (unprovoked) had said

“...The discussions on this site are endless and boring to read.”

My response (having been provoked!) was as follows

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-01-03 7:36 PM

...The discussions on this site are endless and boring to read.

Then why do you bother to do it?

Are there no Belgian/Dutch motorhome forums that would be more relevant and interesting for you, and that would allow you to write/read in your native language rather than using Dutch-into-English on-line translation software that often makes your postings extremely difficult to understand?

If Monique criticises this forum’s discussions as being endlessly boring (which is open to question) I’ve no compunction in pointing out that her contributions are difficult to understand (which is very definitely often the case).

Derek I'm sorry I think you are wrong and that you should apologise.

Your comments were out of order.

I can't see much wrong with what Derek posted..?...

(..Besides, I thought you old codgers were supposed to like your plain, straight forward speaking?... (lol) )

Joking aside, it's possible(probable) that it is the translation software that has put a different "slant" on what Derek actually meant..?

well I disagree, I think Derek was quite right in what he said, Monique called the forum dull and boring, so he just said basically if you find it like that why do you bother with it, nowt wrong with that in my world, and it is certainly not discrimination as the OP title says, and she didn't need to comment at all, she could have scrolled on by. maybe the comment by her got lost in translation..just a thought.

When I first read Derek's comments, I raised an eyebrow but no more. There are two contradictory points in my head. One is that I believe it is reasonable to ask anyone why they bother if they find the discussions endless and boring. It is also reasonable to suggest alternatives. The second is that from my workings days, discrimination is often about how the recipient feels.

I'm sorry that Monique feels the way she does. I hope she can put it aside and continue to contribute to the forum.

Whilst perhaps Derek could have phrased his response a little differently (haven't we all done that at some point), I don't see that he said anything that was fundamentally wrong. As others have said, perhaps something has got lost in translation. Also, perhaps, Monique if you got bored with a topic, the best thing perhaps would simply to have not commented on it.

Monique, I think the title of your post 'Discrimination' is perhaps a little strong. In the UK, the word Discrimination is nowadays synonymous with racism or sexism. That part of his post that talks about the language barrier is perhaps a little blunter than I would have put it, but sounds like an honest assessment of the perils of trying to converse in a language in which one is not fluent. I see nothing in Derek's post that strikes me as racist or sexist.

Why do I have a feeling all of this is a giant google translate misunderstanding? If Monique really thinks this forum is boring then she probably wouldn't be around much.

I usually find her posts very difficult to understand because I'm never certain if what it says is what she actually wanted to say or it is some weird translation error. Not lost in translation but lost in mistranslation.

spirou - 2019-01-20 8:50 PM

Why do I have a feeling all of this is a giant google translate misunderstanding? If Monique really thinks this forum is boring then she probably wouldn't be around much.

I usually find her posts very difficult to understand because I'm never certain if what it says is what she actually wanted to say or it is some weird translation error. Not lost in translation but lost in mistranslation.

You have it spot on and i'd suggest that's the way forward out of this. I recognised long back English isn't Moniques first language and she possibly isn't a fluent speaker of it either....but at least she's brave enough to try which is more than can be said for most British!

Monique. I find the most interesting thing about communication is the illusion that it has taken place. We all can and should infer meaning and so even amongst native speakers there are sure to be misunderstandings. So just hang around and continue to post whenever you're inclined :-)

Monique registered on the Out&AboutLive forums in November 2015 and, to date, she has posted 1133 times.

I’ve been participating here since the O&AL forums were set up in 2006 and to the best of my knowledge Monique is the only person who has made regular use of machine-translation software that, inevitably, has produced postings that often stray far from vernacular English.

My follow-up posting to Monique’s out-of-the-blue comment that "The discussions on this site are endless and boring to read.” was intended to be interpreted literally.

A motorcaravanner who understood only Welsh (or perhaps Portuguese) might use machine-translation software to participate on a motorhome forum where the standard language was not Welsh (or Portuguese), and this might be understandable if there were no Welsh-language or Portuguese-language motorhome forums.

But I’ve always wondered why Monique (who has owned German and French motorhomes) chose to post on this relatively minor English-language forum, and I wonder that even more so now that she has expressed her negative opinion of the O&AL forums.

I would have thought there should be enough motorcaravanners in Belgium for Dutch-language forums to exist but, if not, there will be large German and French motorhome forums that one might anticipate would be more logical for Monique to participate on. But, of course, that may be exactly what she does do (plenty of O&AL forum-members are active participants on other forums) and the O&AL forum may be just one of several motorhome forums she posts to.

Monique’s “boring to read” comment was on 3 January 2019 and I posted my “Why do you bother?” enquiry the next day. My questions were not answered and, since 4 January, Monique has posted 12 times with no reference to my query until yesterday (apparently) as a reaction to her partner's interpetation of what I had said.

I never intended to ‘diss’ Monique, women, Belgium or using GOOGLE software. I just wondered why Monique participated on these forums as she said she got no enjoyment from doing so, and asked if there were no alternative forums that she could use without resorting to GOOGLE translation. I don’t see either of those questions as ‘taking a liberty’.

Perhaps a better starting point would be to ask Monique to explain why they used the phrase "that discussions were endless and boring to read". Assumptions are being made that it is or isn't to do with translation and some clarity could help?

Ps this was posted prior to Derek's further explanation above.

If people post on the main German motorhome forum English/Google translations and any other form of communication are welcome.

Derek as a member since 2006 and the font of an amazing amount of knowledge are not reasons enough for your comment which I found just a little too pointed.

However I think I too am adding to this molehill unnecessarily *-)

PS. But that's what members do here and on the CC site >:-)

EJB - 2019-01-21 8:53 AM

...Derek as a member since 2006 and the font of an amazing amount of knowledge are not reasons enough for your comment which I found just a little too pointed...

I freely admit to having been irritated by Monique’s dismissive comment, but if my follow-up is considered to be “a little too pointed” so be it.

Just as many have an issue understanding what I often say, I often have an issue understanding Monique's posts. Clearly in some of her posts she has misunderstand the basis of the threads.

It is not an issue of racism or discrimination, but of pure language, and that is what I think Derek was trying say.

Just as my often 'Technical' language goes with out being understood, so does other peoples for various reasons. Regardless of race or creed.

Derek, you write, "But I’ve always wondered why Monique (who has owned German and French motorhomes) chose to post on this relatively minor English-language forum, and I wonder that even more so now that she has expressed her negative opinion of the O&AL forums".

That is easy to answer - this is the best Forum in the World.

As Monique uses a translator to post on the forum, I assume she will do the same for any responces.

So it does beg the question of how Derek's responce was translated back to Dutch.

I suspect therein lies the problem, of Monique's understanding of what was intended.

I admit I find some of her posting difficult to understand her actual meaning & other highly amusing due to the translation.

But alot have been informative & hope she will reconsider as it's nice to see motorhome information from a different perspective.

Nothing wrong with Derek's reply in my opinion, I always say what I think and care not if I offend if I hold a strong opinion, it is called freedom of speech, after all , internet forums are just that, if you do not like what you read , read no more, go elsewhere, life is too short for all that crap. :-D :-D *-) *-) I had a reply to my last post from the same Lady interesting to read once you get the Gist of it .I thank her for that.

I also find many of the discussions on this site are endless and boring to read.

But, by 'eck, when I want an answer to a question of mine I find the answers extremely interesting and informative - long live this Forum and its Members

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Archived