Dixell external fridge freezer thermostat fault

Davidhood999

Hi everyone,

In our motorhome we have a Dixell Universal R, by Emerson (I believe) external thermostat display which seems to have developed a fault.

Every light / display is flashing on and off and the fridge freezer has switched off. I've looked through our manual for the thermostat and followed the instructions for common faults but to no avail. The manual just suggests it's a protection from shorting and is in reset mode and to wait up to 5 hours potentially for the reset to happen. So I did that, the electric was left on for 24 hours to give it a chance to sort itself out but it's still just flashing and the fridge freezer is still off. I've even disconnected the power for an hour and reconnected hoping for a factory reset or something but to no avail. There doesn't appear to be an actual factory reset button anywhere and the manual doesn't mention one either.

Not sure where to go from here, does anyone know of potential fix? If it comes to it and I need a new thermostat are they easy to fit as neither me nor my wife are particularly able and the earliest we can get anyone to look at it for us is June.

I have emailed Emerson twice but each time got no reply. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not do I'll just chuck it in anyway incase; Just before we realised the fridge / thermostat wasn't working we had been fitting a new rear light as it had got smashed. We also took the other one off to check where some of the wires went as I'd accidentally deleted the photo I'd taken of the wiring off the broken one before I took it off. I noticed on the other rear light that there was a whole load of wires just hanging loose, don't know what they are and there's nowhere on that light for them to go, so could that have anything to do with it? Everything else works as it should though, just not the thermostat.

Hopefully someone out there has had this happen and knows what to do. Thanking everyone in advance.

David. ??

Hi David,

I have just found the instructions for an Emerson Dixell Universal R as I had never heard of that make/model before and there is nothing in them about the entire display flashing on/off. Fault finding is last page.

https://climate.emerson.com/documents/universal-r-en-gb-3723528.pdf

My only suggestion would be to check your leisure battery voltage as if that is low it may be causing the fridge to constantly switch on and off.

Keith.

Keithl - 2021-04-21 10:54 AM

Hi David,

I have just found the instructions for an Emerson Dixell Universal R as I had never heard of that make/model before and there is nothing in them about the entire display flashing on/off. Fault finding is last page.

https://climate.emerson.com/documents/universal-r-en-gb-3723528.pdf

My only suggestion would be to check your leisure battery voltage as if that is low it may be causing the fridge to constantly switch on and off.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

I've looked at the pdf before and it pretty much says the same as the manual. There is something about all light continuously flashing, so I just did what it said which basically is to wait, but I will do as you suggest and check the battery.

Cheers.

David.

Archived