You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Documents for France
AuthorMessage
userpotus4388
Posted: 12 September 2018 1:00 PM
Subject: Documents for France

Pops in from time to time

Good morning,
Going over to France shortly, I have packed copies of my insurance and V5 documents etc to take with me,however,I have been told by a friend that French law requires the original documents to be carried.
Does anyone know if in fact this is the case?
What do you normally carry?

usermgnbuk
Posted: 12 September 2018 1:15 PM
Subject: RE: Documents for France

Gets involved

Originals of all vehicle documentation + driving licence carried at all times for me. While I have copies, I understand that these are not legal & if stopped the Police expect to see the originals.

Many years ago I had a motorcycle stolen in France - the only interest from the Gendarmes was to see & record the details of all the bike documents & my licence when I reported the theft.

Nigel B
userPAJay
Posted: 12 September 2018 1:18 PM

potus4388 - 2018-09-12 1:00 PM

Good morning,
Going over to France shortly, I have packed copies of my insurance and V5 documents etc to take with me,however,I have been told by a friend that French law requires the original documents to be carried.
Does anyone know if in fact this is the case?
What do you normally carry?

Yes take originals AND copies, BUT leave a set of copies at home. I used to hide the originals in van, and keep the copies handy

Also a good idea to take a copy of road tax application , and MOT as well

Edited by PAJay 2018-09-12 1:19 PM
usermonique.hubrechts@gm
Posted: 12 September 2018 3:45 PM

Epic contributor

Real origimals do not exist in the computer world. What you get is a colour coded, in green stamped SCAN OK. Even your ownership of your vehicle is new by the invoice and reg, but at resell only by reg. Any commemts welcome.
userpotus4388
Posted: 12 September 2018 4:03 PM

Many thanks for your replies, I will now make sure I have the originals with me when I go! I would have gone with copies only which could have caused me problems in some circumstances I guess.
Thank you again.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 12 September 2018 4:48 PM

This website has a “Documents” section

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

As Monique says, it’s tricky nowadays to identify an ‘original’ document, but it would make sense to take your vehicle’s original V5C rather than just a copy and (obviously) driving-licence and passport documentation should be original. It shouldn’t matter whether insurance and MOT certificates are originals or copies provided that they are valid!
userBillggski
Posted: 12 September 2018 5:23 PM

Epic contributor

It's interesting because all my insurance documents are on line, I have nothing on paper. When I take a flight or go to the theatre I scan my phone, will French police wait while I find a signal for the internet?
Of course UK police and DVSA know my details before they stop me.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator