Documents for France

potus4388

Good morning,

Going over to France shortly, I have packed copies of my insurance and V5 documents etc to take with me,however,I have been told by a friend that French law requires the original documents to be carried.

Does anyone know if in fact this is the case?

What do you normally carry?

Originals of all vehicle documentation + driving licence carried at all times for me. While I have copies, I understand that these are not legal & if stopped the Police expect to see the originals.

Many years ago I had a motorcycle stolen in France - the only interest from the Gendarmes was to see & record the details of all the bike documents & my licence when I reported the theft.

Nigel B

potus4388 - 2018-09-12 1:00 PM

Good morning,

Going over to France shortly, I have packed copies of my insurance and V5 documents etc to take with me,however,I have been told by a friend that French law requires the original documents to be carried.

Does anyone know if in fact this is the case?

What do you normally carry?

Yes take originals AND copies, BUT leave a set of copies at home. I used to hide the originals in van, and keep the copies handy

Also a good idea to take a copy of road tax application , and MOT as well

This website has a “Documents” section

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

As Monique says, it’s tricky nowadays to identify an ‘original’ document, but it would make sense to take your vehicle’s original V5C rather than just a copy and (obviously) driving-licence and passport documentation should be original. It shouldn’t matter whether insurance and MOT certificates are originals or copies provided that they are valid!

Archived