Dog passports Spain / France

Den

I’m guessing with not many travelling with pets to Spain or France if anyone has taken advantage of purchasing a euro passport for their dogs.

I did make an enquiry last July with a Spanish vet we’ve used a few times while on holiday.

They quoted from memory €40 ish.

It’s not the price, it’s how the passport is viewed by officials here and abroad.

I wouldn’t like to take Penny and find problems returning.

We use Eurotunnel.

Den

Hi, we obtained an eu pet passport in Germany last September after spending 165 pounds going out from the Uk with a AHC . The eu pet passport was very easy to get from a normal vet and in Germany it cost me 45 euros which included another rabies vaccination that you must have done in the eu every time it is due and not in the uk.A friend got his in spain exactly the same processes and cost.we was in the vets a total of 35 minutes. No problems returning to the Uk.

tringy - 2022-01-09 5:35 PM

Den , we both have not been back abroad again but hope to soon so I will keep you posted. When we arrived in the pet passport office on our first return we was assured this was ok to travel backwards and forwards .cheers Tringy

I read that the spanish vets needed something to do with tax recipes etc what did you have to supply to the vet to get the dog passport, I do have an address in spain to put on the passport but I'm not registered in spain and my spanish vet has my mobile No

In Germany we was registered with the vet already because we used them for the normal return process before Brexit, we did not have to supply anything other then the normal the dog has to have but as I said the dog had to be re vaccinated for rabies. The same process took place in Spain only that it took two visits, typically Spain , the vet was in Malaga just picked at random. The German rabies vaccination lasts for 3 years and the Spanish one is for 2 years, why? We don’t know , but once you have the passport you can get the vaccination re done any where in the eu when needed, but not in the Uk, so like us going abroad twice no it’s no problem. We even think it might be cost affective to get it done on a day trip to France alongside some shopping ect.

Tringy

tringy - 2022-01-10 12:20 PM

In Germany we was registered with the vet already because we used them for the normal return process before Brexit, we did not have to supply anything other then the normal the dog has to have but as I said the dog had to be re vaccinated for rabies. The same process took place in Spain only that it took two visits, typically Spain , the vet was in Malaga just picked at random. The German rabies vaccination lasts for 3 years and the Spanish one is for 2 years, why? We don’t know , but once you have the passport you can get the vaccination re done any where in the eu when needed, but not in the Uk, so like us going abroad twice no it’s no problem. We even think it might be cost affective to get it done on a day trip to France alongside some shopping ect.

thanks , as our dog is already registered with the Spanish vet hopefully we should have no problem

• 5 weeks later...

The original uk obtained pet passport is no longer valid so to travel to the eu the first time you have to obtain a AHC ( Animal Health Certificate)from your vet in the uk in order to enter the eu. Once you in the eu you can get a eu pet passport in any eu country with a new rabies vaccination and this vaccination has to be kept up with any eu vet . In Germany the rabies vaccination lasts 3 years, in Spain the vaccination lasts 1 or two year. The normal yearly vaccinations are done as normal by your uk vet. Under NO circumstances let a uk vet have any input on the eu pet passport as this will make it invalid.

My friend travelled out two weeks ago with the Spanish eu pet passport on the Eurotunnel with on problems whatsoever. We travel in a few weeks.

Cheers Tringy.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask, not for us as we no longer travel abroad but for my daughter with a new 10 month old puppy , they have a holiday home in France, if they get this health check from the Vet in the UK do they get the dog vaccinated with the rabies vaccine and bloods done as we did before in the UK and then register with a Vet in France? for the EU passport the dog would have to be done again over there! and how long before the can return to the UK? and do the not less than 24 hrs and not more than 5 days rule still stand?

Thanks, it was complicated enough before but it sounds more so now.

Archived