Doing it right the first time

Hello everyone

Im after some advice as Im very fortunate to receive some inheritance that will allow me to fulfil a life dream.

Please save your financial advice, my matters are in order.

Therefore I wish to do the motorhome thing right and not waste money, nor hold back on worthwhile items.

Im going to buy any decent high payload motorhome big enough for my family and large dog. Along the lines of tag axle or dually , such as the Burstner 747.

We are planning on doing many wild camp breaks and longer european holidays.

Ive previously caravanned so know all the joys and pleasures of this type of vehicle.

So what would you suggest getting if you had a healthy budget for a used vehicle?

Self levelling suspensions, or steadies? £5k to 3k

Aircon with a built in MH generator to keep the dog cool when we go to a shop? £6k ish

Roof decked out in solar? How many, size etc?

Lithium batteries? What size?

Would it also be sensible to get the timing chain, all fluids and filters, tyres, pads and discs changed for improved safety and reliability?

OR WOULD YOU

Put all that reserved money towards a newer or lower mileage MH?

A nice problem to have, though not one I can afford to put right after my good fortune is used.

I would look for a layout which suits your family unit and allows you to have some personal space when cramped up in the van during those wet and windy periods. Make sure you have accessible storage for whatever you want to take and ensure that your payload is as big as possible.

Also, make sure that you can carry as much water as possible and if you can stretch to 2 x 100Ah Lithium batteries and 300-400W of solar then you should be good for expeditionary camping.

That said, if you plan to camp off grid in the Cairgorms in February then a thousand more solar panels would not go amiss, lol.

Layout - payload - water - energy - storage.

Good luck,

Andrew

I think we are ever so slightly into "how long is a piece of string" territory! :-D

How many people will travel in the van? Any children, of what ages, or just two adults?

By wild camping, do you mean simply parking your van in lay-byes and car parks as opposed to camp sites, or are you thinking of those away from it all, scenic, locations, down narrow tracks with a mix of mud, gravel, and road base as their surface? (The point being that the sort of van you have prioritised is tall, has a long wheelbase, relatively poor manoeuvrability, a somewhat restrictive ground clearance and, possibly, a longish rear overhang that is liable to snag on abrupt surface irregularities.) This type of van may restrict the kinds of locations you can access - or leave! It is also FWD, which will leave it prone to getting stuck if you venture off-road and encounter soft ground.

You have specified a second hand van, so it will come as it is, and any options you may wish to add will inevitably be after-market fit items. Are you settled on the Argos 747? It is a current model, but variations have been marketed for a number of years and not all are the same. It might help if you can be more specific as to the model and year you have in mind.

But, as a general rule, I would say first get the van, use it, and then add what you feel it lacks as, and when, you feel the need. If buying used, even if from a dealer with a warranty, I would also recommend keeping back several thousand pounds against the possibility of out of warranty, or excluded, items failing.

Final thoughts. Health, age, and driving licence. I assume you already have a licence to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, or you would not be contemplating an Argos. However, once you reach 70 you will need to pass a medical to maintain that right, and that is where the health comes in. It would be especially galling to find that you lose your right to drive your van soon after you get it, because a medical at 70 reveals a condition that precludes you from driving such vehicles.

SilverFoxApparently - 2020-06-24 3:16 PM

Thank you Andrew for your input.

I note that you didnt mention any of things I suggested- are these completely frivilous?

I was impressed by Andrew’s succinct but accurate advice and I see that Brian likewise has added some great points whilst I've been composing this reponse.

I think you’ll receive a lot of different answers to your add-ons question. For instance, some will swear by their air con and some will say that it just adds weight and noise for little gain.

A lot depends on what you want to get out of your van. Some people like bling and will happily automatic things that do not really need automating. Some treat their van as a status symbol and are sensitive to what others think of their van. Others are the reverse (a category we fit in to) and prefer to minimise unnecessary automation (‘cause it can go wrong) and treat our van as a means to an end, ie as an ‘expeditionary’ vehicle that enables us to explore Europe cheaply, conveniently and with a few creature comforts.

The one additional question I’d add to your list is left hand or right hand drive? If you plan to spend extended time in Continental Europe then I’d always advocate LHD. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea though.

The good news is that with your caravanning background you’ll probably have a better idea of what you need then some new to the motorhome environment.

Sounds shocking, and we were surprised, but as our motor caravan, like most, is white and well insulated, we've found that even on hot days (admittedly only in UK) that we can safely leave our dogs in it with just roof lights open - no need for running a fan or air-con. Obviously best to park it in shade. One caveat - we told reception at an RSBP reserve we were doing this, and not to worry, but they said if some well-intentioned folk report the dogs in the van, the staff would be obliged to call the police/RSPCA.

So that may be £6k saved!

Solar panels - we had them fitted, I thought so the fridge would run on leisure battery when parked up, but it doesn't work like that, it has to run on gas, unless you're hooked up. But it has been very handy to keep the battery topped up over winter.

You didn't mention gas bottles - if you can run to it I'd advise the re-fillable ones. We have an 11kg GasIt bottle (fitted it myself); benefit is gas is about half the price, and very handy to top it up before a trip rather than look for a dealer when on holiday, or waste gas by getting a refill anyway before going. If you're going to continental Europe, you'll be able to refill it, but non-refillable such as Calor can't be exchanged.

Archived