Dolomites

Duckonhill

If your destination is Austria I imagine you will go up the A22 motorway, Cortina is on the other side.

The internet is plenty of information, for example https://www.visitdolomites.com/?lang=en

The roads are all passable without problems, if a bus passes by a Morelo Palace too.

If you want to go up to the Auronzo Refuge (Tre Cime di Lavaredo) the road has a toll and is quite expensive, 2021 motorhome rate (any size) 45 €. Ticket valid from 8am to 24.00.

As I write this, the road is still closed and it is not known when it will be open, in 2021 it was on June 30th.

from Venice head up the east side of the Dolomites heading towards Cortina a'Ampezo. All good roads now. 3 or 4 campsites in the area.

For a day or two in the Dolomites , From Cortina head west to Plan Falzarego up the pass. lots of buses head up there, take the cable car up to the top , have a stroll along the top of the Dolomites with stunning views.

For a bit more adventure from Cortina head east to Misurina and take the toll road up to Tre Cime, stunning mountains, again coaches go up there. Take a walk on the donkey path either to one of the refugios for coffee and cake or circumnavigate the tre Cime, you cant get lost from memory its about 7km on more or less flat paths, and you can overnight up there in the car park.

From Cortina head towards Dobbiacco, Some stunning viewpoints to look back at Monte Christallo and Tre Cime especially at the lake at the top. Good but now seems pricey campsite at Lagi di Dobbiacco on the far side of the lake , nice pizzeria on site. Once at Dobbiacco turn left for Innsbruck turn right for Lenz Stunning stell platz at Sexten I think it was.

Enjoy, Its about 10 years since we we spent anytime in the Dolomites, more recently we've been much further south, but if you any more info ask

alan

Not forgetting that the Alto Adige region (South Tirol) is bilingual (Italian-German), there are also small towns with a very Austrian style that are worth a visit.

For example Bolzano (Bozen), Merano (Meran), Vipiteno (Sterzing), Bressanone (Brixen).

Max

mtravel - 2022-05-29 11:17 AM

Not forgetting that the Alto Adige region (South Tirol) ......

Max

...very much a favourite area of ours. I was going to suggest traversing from Italy to Austria via Merano, the Val Venosta/Vinschgau and the Reschen Pass. It's a pleasant run, and an unchallenging road, but does drop you into Austria well to the West (No bad thing if visiting the Tirol is on the agenda).

We particularly like the "municipal" campsite at Glurns/Glorenza:

http://www.glurns.eu/de/die-stadt-glurns/unterk%C3%BCnfte-mehr/campingplatz/23-0.html

Well situated, quiet, good value for the area, and the free travel card included in the cost makes exploring (even as far as Merano) from a fixed base very attractive.

We did a trip through the Dolomites in 2018 and the following is an extract from my blog.

Jeremy

" We left Predazzo for Cortina but went off through Moena then over Passo di San Pellegrino, then Falcarde then Alleghe onto the SP563 and over the Passo Campolongo. We were going to Cortina but went off to Corvara, Funtanacia on the SS244 then the E66 or SS49 to Sterzing/Vipitino and our camp.

About 20 miles before our stop for the night at camping Gilfenklamm the scenery changed to normal alpine scenery – pine clad mountains and twee hamlets with geranium bedecked houses.

Then arrived at Gilfenklamm at 15.00ish. Office shut til 17.00 “ask in Pizzaria” who supplied a gate key and a fob. Now camping Gilfenklamm is the first campsite over the Brenner Pass so is well used. It is predominantly a permanent site with lots of cabins made from old caravans with wooden extensions set among alpine pines. It’s clean and well organised, but the touring area is a gravelled car park. Not a problem, the facilities are good & clean, but €19 for a car park? Still it did the job for us and we were able to sit out in the evening sun with an aperitif and then retire to Mabel when the temperature began to drop

The next day we went up & up & up towards the Jaufenpass/Passo di Monte Giovo 2094 Metres- all tight hairpins (one of which was a three point turn, then down & down & down to St Leonhard, then up & up to Moos then Rabenstein and a stop to see what we had let ourselves in for! Wow!

The Timmelsjoch. Straight up the side of what looked like a 60 degree knife edge ridge with hairpin after hairpin with the pass at 2509 Metres.

By this time Angela had gone green and was gripping the seat edge. Poor Angela – on the hairpins she had to look behind us to see what was coming up ahead and to see if the road was clear as I had to use the entire width of the road in first gear on full lock to get round the corner and couldn’t see the road. This meant I had to go right up to the edge of the road! So she was looking over the edge & could see down about 1500 ft straight down.

Still off we went and got up OK to the level of the glaciers and a welcome parking place right on the edge near the final tunnel through to Austria. Two old boys (or a chap and his wife?) had their picnic table out and were enjoying an alfresco lunch with a better view than any restaurant.

Then off down through the Gurgls of Austria to Solden and Imst and then to the Rechsen Pass to a stellplatz at Fussen."

spirou - 2022-05-27 9:23 PM

I don't think any of them are remotely scary and your description doesn't mention where you're coming from and going to. But possibly Belluno - Cortina d'Ampezzo - Dobiacco?

I think the above would help. Geographically, the Dolomites lie in the area between the Adige valley in the West and the Piave valley in the East, which is a little over 100 miles.

They are crossed by numerous passes, of which 15 are road passes.

The Reschenpass, which Robinhood mentions above, is easy, but does not fully capture the character of the Dolomites. (If you want full-on Dolomite, you'll need to cross further to the east). But, if heading for Western Austria, it is an excellent choice. However, if you want to avoid tolls as you leave Resia/Reschen into Austria you need to go via Landeck and then take the B171 which parallels the (toll) A12 to Imst. The A12 then continues to Innbruck and beyond, and the Austrians are very keen for you to use it! :-)

Austrian autobahns are toll roads for which you need to pre-purchase a vignette, or maut (except, I think for the Brenner - another cross Dolomite possibility), for which you can pay at toll booths, as you otherwise risk a fine. See here: https://tinyurl.com/y4kzn5ay

So, some idea of which part of Italy you will be leaving, and which part of Austria you want to gain, will help focus advice toward relevant passes.

Brian Kirby - 2022-05-29 6:45 PM

The Reschenpass, which Robinhood mentions above, is easy, but does not fully capture the character of the Dolomites.

...indeed, but there are a limited number of "easy" but attractive routes from Italy into Austria, and this is (IMO) one of the best (esp. if targeting the Tirol).

If coming from the East, and the Dolomites are a must see, (they probably should be) then it is still a recommendation. Simply arrive at Merano from the East via one of a number of different routes through the mountains.

Just South of the Austrian border the road through Dobbiaco/Bruneck/Brixen down to Bolzano is unchallenging with good views to the South and the odd good campsite, but if you want to get into the Dolomites proper, then I'd target a diversion beyond Brixen somewhere like into Val Gardena, over the Sella pass to Val Di Fassa at Canazei (the campsite at Campitello is possibly the best in the area, and within walking distance of the cable car for the lazy who want to get high views) and then out to Bolzano for Merano. I'd personally do it that way round for the views; it is OK either way, but certainly has some climb (and often an awful lot of push-bikes!).

Robinhood - 2022-05-29 8:40 PM................................

If coming from the East, and the Dolomites are a must see, (they probably should be) then it is still a recommendation. Simply arrive at Merano from the East via one of a number of different routes through the mountains.

Just South of the Austrian border the road through Dobbiaco/Bruneck/Brixen down to Bolzano is unchallenging with good views to the .......................

I can vouch for that too, heading east. We went in spring 2008, from Bolzano heading up the A22 to Bressanone, and then SS49, passing Brunico to Dobbiaco, SS52 past San Candido to Tolmezzo, and finally south on A23/A4 past Udine, Monfalcone and Trieste, to Piran in Slovenia.

Not really "in" the Dolomites proper, but skirting them through the foothills with the snow covered peaks always to the north. A very scenic route on good roads - which one had to remember to look at from time to time! :-D

Archived