Dometic RM5380 fridge runs on gas for 15 mins or so then stops

robdav

Hi

A friend has bought a brand new panel van conversion (Pilote/Danbury Avenir 60TR) which has a Dometic RM5380 fridge. The fridge works on electric and will run on gas for 15 mins or so and then cuts out.

I have tried the multiple switching on/off and that hasn't helped. I have tested the gas on the cooker hob and it works fine with no problem. The gas bottles (Gaslow) are full and the boiler works on gas. It only seems to be the fridge that has a problem on gas and only after a certain amount of time.

I doubt it's the burner that needs cleaning as it''s brand new.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

I echo Keith’s advice.

Rob has carried out logical (and ‘harmless’) trouble-shooting checks that have not provided any conclusive diagnosis as to where the problem lies.

As will be seen from the following link, a RM5380 fridge ain’t cheap

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/mobile-refrigeration/fridges/dometic-rm-5380-_-44191

and it’s the vendor’s responsibility to ensure that the appliance functions properly.

The gas side of modern 3-way fridges does not involve a pilot-light, and the gas-burner turns on and off automatically. It sounds like the RM5380’s gas-burner may be turning off but failing to relight when it should, which might indicate an electrical fault. That’s just a guess though as the problem needs to be addressed professionally.

• 3 weeks later...
robdav - 2019-03-11 3:55 PM

Update - the dealer couldn't resolve the problem so they have swapped out the fridge this morning so fingers crossed it remains lit.

Thought I would update on this.

Swapping the fridge out did not resolve the issue. Doemtic admitted a faulty batch of burners in recent fridges of this type and I guess possibly others.

Symptoms - fridge runs on gas but only for a varying period of time (sometimes days, sometimes hours or minutes) before going out.

Rob,

I appreciate you are awaiting a decision on the 'faulty burners', but has anyone actually checked the gas pressure at the fridge?

The 30 mbar regulator pressure is actually less than half of one psi. Think of you car tyres at around 30 psi and that should put it into context. So any fluctuation form 30 mbar can have a HUGE effect on operation.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-03-31 12:52 PM

Rob,

I appreciate you are awaiting a decision on the 'faulty burners', but has anyone actually checked the gas pressure at the fridge?

The 30 mbar regulator pressure is actually less than half of one psi. Think of you car tyres at around 30 psi and that should put it into context. So any fluctuation form 30 mbar can have a HUGE effect on operation.

Keith.

More than one fridge more than one gas supply tried by the dealer.

Archived