Dometic RMD8555 door catch adjustment

Willum

We've changed motorhomes and the 'new' one, a 2003 Frankia i7000BD, has a retro-fitted RMD8555 with no useful paperwork included, other than how to install it.

It was fitted for the previous owner after the original 'failed' and then the motorhome was shortly after laid up for the best part of 3 years due to the owner's serious and continuing illness - I'm not keen on going back and asking too many questions of the poor guy.

So:

Has anyone tried to adjust the freezer door catch on a Dometic RMD8555? The freezer door on ours doesn't latch fully closed and can gape, although the fridge door is fine............ and yes, I do know about the stiff little catches that keep the door ajar when not in use.

For a guess the procedure for getting at the adjusting screws is the same as for changing the silly blue LED light bulb. The screws are behind the same nasty, thin, snappy bit of plastic as the bulb. I don't want to (daren't) apply a lot of persuasion to anything before finding out how it comes off.

Will

I've answered my own question.

The 'cover' over the catch/light unit comes off with careful prying, starting at the back. It's a bit heart-stopping, it's nasty, brittle, plastic and does not, in my case, let go easily.

For those interested, I eventually unearthed some manuals on Google. The Operating Manual can be had here:

Link to Operating Manual

and a generic Service Manual (in colour - sort of!), courtesy of Adria.dk, here:

Link to Service Manual

although the former blithely says "After removing the cover, the lighting housing can be dismantled." ............. but not HOW to do so.

The other bit of information imparted is that the catch/light mechanism is one lump, so if the bulb fails the whole lot is scrap. Hopefully, being a LED, that shouldn't happen for a very long time.

Will

Archived