Dometic Skyview Blind Repair

Teacher

Hi, thanks to your forum I now know how to take this unit down in my Autotrail Tracker EKS 2011. The plastic cover plugs which conceal the fixing screws had completely defeated me. The blind is a concertina type which includes an insect blind. It has a broken cord.

When I do this job, which will be after the present heatwave is over, am I in danger of disturbing the outer part of the skylight and possibly creating a leak. If there is any chance of this I might leave well alone and manage without a blind over the bed.

If anyone has tackled this job or something similar i would appreciate hearing from them.

The problem is in summer the sun comes up early, and personally speaking I don't like the blind open.

The cord went wrong on our Globecar, it runs in slot in plastic which is a crap design, I drilled hole in plastic, fitted a small 'keyring', and threaded cord trough that.

That's a bit of a problem to have the sun in your eyes at 5.00am

I'm not sure if the outer unit and the inner frame which holds the blind are screwed together using the roof as a sandwich between them.

If that's the case I might end up loosening the outside bit..

Back in the day before skylights had blinds etc and we had a very limited budget we used to make up 2 sections of curtain, or towel, or net, or any suitable material and fix it with velcro over the skylight.

One was opaque for night times and one was net curtain as a day time fly screen, especially for Scottish midgies!.

Another way to fit is using curtain wires, or elastic, and hooks, not quite so easy to make, fit and remove but just as effective.

It depended mainly on what we already had or was free or very cheap at the time, and our ingenuity.

Not a perfect solution to be sure but very effective, easy to make, fit and remove and - best of all - inexpensive.

Archived