Donaghadee Aire now open

Douzeper

• 6 years later...
Douzeper - 2012-06-14 1:27 PM

DONAGHADEE aire de service is now open.

Two spaces at aire for electric etc but bye laws changed to allow many other motorhomes to overnight there.

http://www.visitstrangfordlough.co.uk/Utility-menu/News/Aire-de-Service-opening-in-Donaghadee

Ards and North Down Borough Council wishes to advise that overnight parking at the Donaghadee Aire de Service is prohibited by law.

For more information, see:

https://www.visitardsandnorthdown.com/where-to-stay/31659/the-commons-millisle-road-donaghadee

An interesting first post. Curiously I have not seen it replicated on any other forum, particularly the main Irish forum.

You might have included the facts that the Aire is the subject of a legal challenge from a caravan site owner or that the list of sites you link to are all closed for the winter.

You might also have indicated that the council are still developing a strategy to roll out up to nine Aires in the council area.

People are still overnighting at Donaghadee without issue.

Davy

ArdsAndNorthDown - 2018-12-13 9:58 AM

Ards and North Down Borough Council wishes to advise that overnight parking at the Donaghadee Aire de Service is prohibited by law.

For more information, see:

https://www.visitardsandnorthdown.com/where-to-stay/31659/the-commons-millisle-road-donaghadee

A pity.

We used to overnight here. Wandered into town and spent money there eg Bridewell Cafe where we would have breakfast.

Sorry we'll go elsewhere in Ulster now. We carry all our own facilities, we don't need caravan parks.

I THINK the posting from “ArdsAndNorthDown” is intended to be a helpful update to the information that was provided in this forum thread back in 2012.

There’s more about this issue in the following November 2018 MotorhomeCraic discussion titled "Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed"

https://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=18098

The post may have originated in 2012 but the post claiming to be from N. Down and Ards counci was only posted this morning.

There has been no similar post on any other of the main forums I frequent and certainly not on the main Irish forum motorhomecraic as I write this. The council claim to have stopped permitting vans to overnight a month or so back.

I have been working with the council for about a year now (some of you may remember the questionaire I asked for support on some time back). The upshot was and is at last communication with the tourism department recently that the council is actively persuing a policy of providing Aires.

Donaghadee has proved a bit problematic as during the summer it was hugely overused, but plans were in hand to restrict the number of users, which we at motorhomecraic agree with especially since there could eventually be approx 3 other coastal Aires within 5 mile radius.

The policy has taken a bit of a setback as a local caravan site owner has taken a legal challenge to the council providing what amounts to parking provision. Nothing new there then. We have some weeks ago contacted every site on the link made by the council. Needless to say every site has been closed since approx October and presumably will not reopen till Easter.

Vans continue to overnight at Donaghadee. the Aire and daytime parking are permitted by the council who (if the poster is who they claim to be ) presumably are covering them selves while the legal action plays out. Curious that they have not posted on any other forum or directly contacted me. Interestingly some other councils have already made provision similar to what this council area are planning in various locations throughout Northern Ireland.

Davy

Hi Derek,

Whilst the council asked me to post the temporary (hopefully) ban on overnighting many weeks ago on the craic forum, their communications were done by email on a personal basis by the council officer we are dealing with.

We have met several times during the development of the plans for Aires which are a small facet of a whole redevelopment plan for tourism, employment and business. This is current council policy. It just seems odd that we have not been updated.

The link I made reference to is not the one in the post, but one sent to us by council which listed all commercial caravan sites in the area. Some of our members undertook to call the 10 or so sites, all of which indicated that they were closed for the winter.

Davy

Davy

Please ignore a PM I sent you earlier. I've been on 'Craic' and all is explained.

And thank you for your efforts in NI. We love the island of Ireland but we won't go where we're not welcome, or where we feel 'nudged' towards sites. Though I have to say the friendliness of the locals as we've walked from the Aire to Donaghadee and back is brilliant. Never been when its busy, max vans when we've overnighted was 3 including us

Arthur

Archived