Door surround rubber become sticky and has shrunk

BS20

My 2005 Autocruise Starfire has had a good tidy up in the last few weeks but the external doors has a rubber surround which had become sticky and has also shrunk so needs replacing.

I will need about 8 metres to replace all the rubber but not sure what it is called so web searches have been rather poor so if someone knows the correct name of it or better still where I can purchase it I would be grateful.

The channel it site in is approx. 10mm wide.

Mike

Door.jpg.058c69f67a2a19e7221ae5bd2d9dbf8c.jpg

That looks like the cosmetic trim insert around the frame.

It won't be rubber, it will be some kind of PVC - and this discolouration and stickiness is down to UV degradation.

If you can't find a replacement, just give it a refresh -

Warm the trim with a hairdryer to make it supple and then remove.

Clean the trim with Isopropanol, MEK [or similar] to remove the plasticiser that has leeched out with the UV damage.

Some respond better than others, and some even do okay just with white spirits.

Or if you're near a marine outlet, get some RIB tube cleaner, some have been developed just for this purpose.

You can get very favourable results with this method.

Warm the trim before and as you reinstall - you'll then find a bit of excess, as it contracts and hardens just glue the two butts together.

Lucky enough to have a few cans of Isopropanol in the garage, so a spray around and then gentle scrape to remove the excess plasticiser and a final spray/scrape and clean with a cloth has improved the finish to a good standard.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Archived