Dorset motorhome parking

chas

From what I have seen in the past, there does not appear to be any parking for motorhomes . I know of the car park at the top of Lyme Regis which offers about 6 places :'( but east bound through Charmouth, West bay all I have seen are bans on motorhomes, does anyone know differently ? Its bad enough having to pay rip of prices if one finds one, but as far as I can see there seems a blanket ban all along the coast.

Dorset has had problems over the years with Motorhomes taking up residence on places such as Studlands Ferry road, Poole, Weymouth, West Bexington, West Bay and so on. The 4 small campervan parking bays at Lyme Regis down by the Cob dissapeared a couple or three years ago, Weymouth council didn't like you sleeping in your vehicle (unless it's a car or lorry) for obvious reasons but if you are a councillor you can sleep/live on your yacht in the council owned marina. All very good if you owned a near by B&B which some did. West bay has moved it's motorhome parking bays several times over the years just to keep us on our toes. There are no bays now but the Station car park is available for motorhomes with time limits, parking only and no overnighting but there is a big camp site. The amount of times I have heard the cry go up from that camp site "HOW MUCH" and not always with a Yorkshire accent. :-D . West Bexington had car bays marked out that a short wheel base Ford Transit would not fit on and at the time Dorset council had a very aggressive approach to Campervans and motorhomes due to one resident who had just moved there complaining that it spoilt his view Some, Like Ron the bird man (he used to keep a large owl in or on the roof of his van,I think it's name was Dougle. the owl not the van) used to spend a lot of time there. He had several strokes over the years and it had affected his speech a bit and he didn't move so well but he could cast a line of feathers out further than most able bodied men to catch Mackrel. There is a little brass plate on a rock near the car park in his memory, he died on the beach there while walking a friends dog about ten years ago. Thankfully Dorset is not as anti motorhome as it used to be.. I still visit Dorset from time to time with my small pop top camper with no problems with the council and long may it last A lot depends on the size of your 'van. I sacrifice some comfort with a small Autosleeper van so i can park within the confines of a car park bay.

Parked in the Park and Ride at the top of Weymouth (free) along with many other motorhomes. Regular bus service (every 10 mins) down into Weymouth. Also parked at the car park at Portland Bill. Used 2 spaces (end to end) so bought 2 tickets which is permitted if you read the Dorset parking website.

chas - 2017-07-30 12:36 PM

From what I have seen in the past, there does not appear to be any parking for motorhomes . I know of the car park at the top of Lyme Regis which offers about 6 places :'( but east bound through Charmouth, West bay all I have seen are bans on motorhomes, does anyone know differently ? Its bad enough having to pay rip of prices if one finds one, but as far as I can see there seems a blanket ban all along the coast.

I was at Charmouth recently, and parked up on the beach carpark, no problem. There is a fee to pay, of course.

Howwever I dont think that overnighting is permitted, but not sure how they police it. Presumably they lock a gate or chain across the entrance to prevent escape or late entry.

At the time I was there during the day, there were several other vans as well, and loads of cars. Didnt see an attendant, but paid the machine instead.

Tonyg3nwl.

Historically, when my father tried to start the campsite at Newlands, the locals attitude was "we dont want that sort of people here"

He eventually got the permission after many arguments, enforcement notices, etc, and a lengthy legal battle.

Today the site is now owned as part of a national chain, and have recently spent more money terracing the field and installing further elects etc.

Nightly fees when he started were 2 and 6pence fo a tent, and 5 shillings for caravan..

Prices have increased since early 1960s !!!!.

Tonyg3nwl

• 1 year later...

West Bay has a brilliant car Park purpose made for about 60 motor homes (rough guess as it’s huge) at a bargain £2 a day and free overnight parking. It’s the Station rd car park right behind the famous cliff. It’s on the left past the first car park you come to as you come into the resort.

Lyme Regis was more of a stressful affair! The Holbush car park was very busy and only offered six motorhome places ( two of which were occupied by small VW vans which could have gone in a normal car park space which was quite annoying. )

I Doublebacked and parked on the main road coming into Lyme Regis (Uplyme Rd) near the medical centre it was free and only a 15 minute walk from the seafront. For those less able there is a bus stop just ahead of the parking which was 2 pound per adult to get to the seafront (X51 bus)

I stayed at the lovely Charmouth Caravan and camping club nearby which was perfect location for all the popular spots .. fantastic brand-new shower facilities too!!

Redfox - 2018-08-22 12:16 PM

West Bay has a brilliant car Park purpose made for about 60 motor homes (rough guess as it’s huge) at a bargain £2 a day and free overnight parking. It’s the Station rd car park right behind the famous cliff. It’s on the left past the first car park you come to as you come into the resort.

You are mistaken!

The old Station car park at West Bay is just that - a car park next to the old station. It was not purpose built for motorhomes. It's a car park in which motorhomes are permitted. It's not that huge. I don't think it would take anything like 60 vans! You are correct about the price - a very reasonable £2 a day and free overnight, but overnight sleeping is not permitted. There have been problems there recently - see this report from the local paper

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/16592407.pressure-builds-on-wddc-to-clamp-down-on-motorhomes-parked-at-station-yard/

For overnight/sleeping there's a very large seasonal campsite on the right as you drive into West Bay which I believe is reasonably priced, as well as the large commercial site in the Bay itself with residential caravans but plenty of space for tourers.

If you're just looking for parking though, I have often seen motorhomes parked without problems for the day at Burton Bradstock's National Trust Hive Beach car park.

Just seen in the news that Travellers have taken over a car park in Sandbanks Dorset.

Normally i am aghast and would recommend drastic action....like being let loose with a bulldozer for 30 minutes or so. But not this time.... seems like poetic justice, Now they know what REAL problem overnight stayers are like....Also see if any of the fines are ever paid ? Bet they are not.

Dorset doesnt deserve holidaymakers, perhaps it DESERVES travellelers ?

Most of us Motohomers are not looking to stay overnight, just to park without getting fined for being bigger than a mini-car (which is all the present marked bays are good for).

If we go to the Coach parks (which are empty most of the time) we can get fined there too if the Council decides to outlaw us.

We are NOT going to dissapear, there are more and more Motorhomes being registered every year. AND motohomers DO spend their holiday money where they are welcomed.....we DO NOT leave rubbish like Travellers, AND our cassette toilets dont need emptying every day !

I also live in a Seaside resort, and we manage to be welcoming to Motorhomes.

The link I provided in my posting of 29 August 2018 3:54 PM above refers to four places in Poole with the potential to park motorhomes - Harbourside One car-park, Poole ferry docks, Lake Pier and Thistle Hotel.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=25212

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=23522

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=32167

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=28793

Each of those four links carries ‘reviews’ (some very recent) by motorcaravanners and more information on parking at the Thistle Hotel can be found here

https://www.thistle.com/en/dorset/poole/car-parking.html

Archived