Down plating. ie 3800 to3500

Guest Bill Haylor

Guest Bill Haylor
Now then all you over 70's hear this. I'm told that on a new M/home (only) they can be down plated in conjunction with the DVLA Swansea. This does of course reduce the payload, but who wants to carry lots of junk anyway. Any comments from you knowledgeable ones?

Considering that for most motorhomes the payload is in the region of 300 to 400 kg Downplating from 3800 to 3500kg would leave about 300 - 300 = 0 kg payload or 400 - 300 = 100 kg payload or 220lb just the driver and some tea bags, kettle, soap & towel Answer fit a tow ball: pull a trailer 7 put missus & dog in it

Guest Derek Uzzell
Search forum on "plating" (omit the quotes) for plenty of earlier comments. Mel E can provide a guide to down-plating, as mentioned in one of the postings that will be recovered by the search. As Petec suggests a 'heavy' motorhome is usually that weight because it needs to be to get some useful payload.

Losing 300Kgs sounds rather a lot to me too. . . If you keep back copies, see my articles in MMM in Aug, Sep and Oct last year ('It Ain't Heavy'). If you want the step-by-step guide, email me at MPEastburn@aol.com

Losing 300Kgs sounds rather a lot to me too. . . If you keep back copies, see my articles in MMM in Aug, Sep and Oct last year ('It Ain't Heavy'). If you want the step-by-step guide, email me at MPEastburn@aol.com

Bill As far as I am aware you can have new AND pre-owned 'vans downplated. Obviously you do need sufficient payload. Where this is most practical is on very large motorhomes (RVs) that are over the 7.5 tonne limit (16,800lbs). These can be downplated whilst still leaving enough payload for absolutely everything a couple would require. Regards Neal

Archived