Drive away awning for Hymer A-class

Guest Tim O'Connell

Guest Tim O'Connell
I have a 1990 Hymer 554 A-class & am looking to buy a drive away awning. A few years ago I modified a caravan awning to fit to the partial awning rail on the camper. While it didn’t look the best, it gave an extra room for the kids to play (3 under 6) but was restrictive in that we were confined to the site once we erected the awning. I now feel that a drive-away awning would give us the room but also allow us to use the van for day’s touring etc. The Tivoli from Apache seems attractive but is a bit large & I can’t get the weight from Apache. They don’t seem to answer snail-mail & it’s not mentioned on the web. Anyone have one of these?. How heavy is it & is it easy to erect. It’s also quite expensive. Would like to hear from someone who has one of these awnings. Quite like the Maxim from Foxwell but the told me it won’t suit an A-class. Anyone have any other suggestions?. Many Thanks, Tim

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi Tim For weights and a good range of choises try Glossop Awnings/ Caravans They are on the A57 (Snake Pass Road) just before Glossop Center when entering from Manchester We got and end of season from them at 1/2 price about 4 - 5 years back It is a Eurovent 2.5m wide & 3.0 m deep The top clears our sliding door which is 2.5 m high (side panel van door) As to how difficult they are to put up - that is another matter. We have had 3 frame tents This takes two of us (pensioners) about 1/2 to 3/4 hrs to get up and pegged down First put up the frame with the legs partly collapsed The next is actually best begun as you take it off last time We lay the ground sheet out In front /behind the van (depending on room available) Then with all zips (except the rear door center) unzipped. ANd legs partly collapsed Lift the end furthest from the Grnd sheet and take it over the top of the awning - continue until the awning top is upside down on the ground sheet ( keeping the now loose panels free as you go) Then open out all the atached parts & pull them straight Fold in the rear door to the roof joint. Flod in the front unless this has been removed then fold in the two ends These are best folded in half, so that the lower edges are now back at the outer edges of the future parcel Take one end and fold this back across from the 1/2 way point Then bring the front and back edges to the center (these flods shold be made so as to adjust the complete package to the size of your storage bag) Roll tightly to exclude air startin at the flod in the centre of the awning. It shold now slip in to the bag Erecting just lay out the package correct way round at which ever end you intend to start from Take the edge Furthest from the frame and pull/ease over the frame then jst pulll the sides into place secure the top and lift the legs Zip all zips & secure the corner pegs. Boss nw goes to make tea - kids are either placed inside to play or put to work to give dad the tent pegs Peg down all sides - Chairs out tea should be ready and cakes on the table - kids tired out "Hopefully"

You could always try a rollout. With a zip in safari room it would fit your bill nicely and is a lot quicker to erectr and bring down. Good luck# Docted

Henry A roll out is fixed in a box to the side of the van. As its name suggests it is rolled out when required, much the same as blinds on shops used to be or the awnings advertised on daytime television. They are very easy to put up/down. The safari room is zip in sides and front.Try www.awnings-blinds.com, Bournemouth based, to see what is available. there are other advertisers in MMM evry month. Docted

Henry From what you've already said you've already had an 'attached' awning that you cdouldn't take down easily, a roll out awning would be similar so I wouldn't think it would be much better for you. It would appear that you'd be much better getting a free standing awning. Your best bet is to have a look round some of the motorhome shows, you'll find several different designs on show and can see the pros and cons of each type. Some are easier to put up than others, they are made in a variety of materials, of varying quality, size and weight. Once you've decided what you want you can then shop around for the best price, or even get one second hand, it's surprising how many there are that have only been used a few times. However, if all you want is an extra room in the warmer months do you actually need it to attach to your van at all? Maybe one of the better quality gazebos with zip in sides would suit? This has the benefit that you can use it at home in the garden as well on a nice summer's day so that you can sit in the shade. But you must make sure you secure it properly with ties and pegs, even on a calm day it's surprising how quickly the wind can get up, especially into the evening. I've seen gazebos flying around before now with the owners chasing them around the campsite ... hilarious, yes at first ... but when they come near your 'van ... not any more! You can also get mesh sides for some of the gazebos so you could keep the nasty bugs out as well whilst sitting out in it in warmer climates. I hope you manage to get what suits you best.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi Timm We worked on a market for several years next to a couple who had a Gazebo made specially for shows They could not work in a not too strong wind It was very unstable We dont always fix ours to the van - instead we just zip up the back wall (nearest to the van) Enclosing every thing - as we do when leaving the site for a drive When closed up it is just like any "Frame Tent" Ok it takes a bit longer to put up but again we are two 70+ pensioners If we are able to put up a stand alone. Then you youngsters should have the ability

Archived