Drive away awning help please

Shinetop

Hi everyone

I’m a previous Motorhome owner and returned to Campervan ownership after 10 years

My Camper is a Toyota Grand Hiace pop top Pevril, by Poplar Motors

I am contemplating getting a drive away awning for the rear to add some more space, but as I’ve been off the scene for a while, many sites seem to have become more professional in how they are run, look, facilities and, cost per night!

Are there any specific or special rules for erecting a rear awning? As sites usually have, or did have a length restriction

Can anyone please advise if I would be restricted to larger grassed sites with a more relaxed attitude to space taken up

Cheers

Steve

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Steve.

There’s a longish Caravan & Motorhome Club awning-related 2020 discussion here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/awning-rules/

and this link relates to drive-away awnings

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/campsite-rules-and-driveway-awnings.37169/

Where a campsite pitch allows an awning to be erected, I would have thought any further limitations would revolve around the size of the rear awning you chose. I believe the length of a “Pevril” campervan will be under 5 metres. so - if you had a quite small rear drive-away awning - the overall length of your camper + awning should be little longer than the average ‘family’ motorhome is nowadays. But if you chose a large awning (example in attached image) the camper/awning combination length could be 9 metres or more.

I’m not aware of any hard-and-fast campsite rules for rear drive-away awnings. As mentioned on the VW Club link, if you go down this route, you may need to check with the campsite what, if any, restrictions might apply to you.

KMPA9120001237_1.jpg.fa9383195fdda8e32adac387ea9fbfa4.jpg

Thanks very much for the reply, I’ve read through both links and I feel a lot more informed.

I’ve also browsed other forums and it’s quite enlightening the pros and cons put out there as to whether a drive away awning costing maybe £500 plus accessories is worth the hassle if 2 nighters are your main use of Campervan.

I think I’ll leave it for now…

Steve

The other thing, of course, is that storage space in a small camper-van will be in short supply, meaning that you’d probably need to transport the awning outside the camper.

There are fairly inexpensive rear awnings with a relatively small footprint (example here)

https://www.thecampercoshop.com/reimo-trapez-cabin-tailgate-tent-for-mini-campers

though you’d still have to transport it and make sure it would attach properly to your Hiace. (Poplar Motors may be able to offer advice.)

Thanks for the info, tailgate option is something I did consider, but if we wanted to go out in the ‘van for the day then it would have to be taken down and whatever stored inside put somewhere!!

A side awning is another consideration, as we have a Fiamma 45 roll out canopy that looks like it has some sort of channel at the back of it to maybe use as awning connection system for the tunnel between’van and awning…

All things considered, just accepting the Toyota’s size limitations and enjoying the fact that it is a great day van getting under most car park barriers is probably the sensible thing to do for now…we reasoned that this size Campervan would be more useful to us, so wishing we had more space, palatial shower, separate bedroom, is like choosing to downsize to a small bungalow but hankering after 3 reception rooms, large garage, big garden etc.!

Cheers for all the replies

Steve

Why do you think you would have to take the awning down if you went off for the day? the whole point of a driveaway is you disconnect it from the van and drive away, the awning becomes a tent where you can leave all your ( Non valuable) stuff behind.

We even leave our bedding in ours to air.

We have two awnings, one small poled the other, larger inflatable which one we chose to take depending on the campsite and if the stay is more than 2 nights.

I think a side awning would be better on a campervan which also depends on the internal sleeping arrangement. However get out on some adventures, use the van then decide what kind, if any, extra space you need and what would suit you best.

Hi Steve

As said above, use the van a few times (and in differing weather?) and you will soon see what/if you need(want!) something..

Personally I'd say keep it small-ish, simple and versatile..

As you already have a wind-out canopy (and an awning rail of sorts?), you may find just a utility/day tent tucked close to the van, so that you have somewhere to "disgorge" the camping chairs/table/ stove/bbq/muddy boots/wet jackets etc will do you for now..?

What ever you get (and you probably will get something :-D ), just bear in mind where abouts in the van you are going to shove it when it's soaking wet?.... :-D

Following Derek’s comments about storage.

An air inflatable awning comes as a largest single unit and can be quite restrictive in the camper van.

With a pole based awning, the awning can be put into separate bags for poles, awning etc and will be smaller and possibly easier to store whilst on the move.

A wind out awning can be useful, if you have the correct fittings as it acts as a covered area between he camper and awning. A good sun or rain shade area.

Rgds

Some really useful advice there, my comments about tailgate awning was regarding the type that uses the lift up tailgate as support for the awning ie Reimo etc. I didn’t mean to refer to drive away type, for obvious reasons.

As has been said, use the van and see what additional space would be best… comments about where to put the thing when wet is something you can’t be in denial about in a small camper!!

Cheers guys,

Steve

Archived