Driveaway Awning

ken001muffin

I'm looking for an inflatable driveaway awning for my Peugeot Symbol Boxer but not really a clue where to start.

Love our camper as it suits our storage space but an extra room would be the icing on the cake.

The dealer we bought from isn't much help.

Has anyone bought the Revolution Turismo Air Standard Size Inflatable Driveaway Awning as I think this might fit?

Can't really help with the purchase of a awning. But a funny story many years ago when we had one for our Auto- Sleeper Flair. While staying on a campsite on Skye we left the awning up and went out for the day. On our return we were surrounded by youngsters who thought it was a tent. so we couldn't back into it. They were very sorry and were willing to move but as we were leaving the next morning it didn't matter. Just be warned.

Grumpyman - 2020-08-05 12:21 PM

Can't really help with the purchase of a awning. But a funny story many years ago when we had one for our Auto- Sleeper Flair. While staying on a campsite on Skye we left the awning up and went out for the day. On our return we were surrounded by youngsters who thought it was a tent. so we couldn't back into it. They were very sorry and were willing to move but as we were leaving the next morning it didn't matter. Just be warned.

My parents had a driveaway awning for a Dormobile in the 1970's and had this happen to them. After that they always pegged out the space for the MH and added a sign saying 'Reserved for Motor Caravan' to stop anyone pitching in the way.

Keith.

ken001muffin - 2020-08-04 8:50 PM

I'm looking for an inflatable driveaway awning for my Peugeot Symbol Boxer but not really a clue where to start.

Love our camper as it suits our storage space but an extra room would be the icing on the cake.

Has anyone bought the Revolution Turismo Air Standard Size Inflatable Driveaway Awning as I think this might fit?

Hi..

Sorry, this answer isn't really what you are after either but...

Although we have never had an "inflatable" awning,some friends of ours have got one and because unlike poled-awnings, which can have some elements seperated to a degree, it is "one-piece" and is therefore one helluva bulky/heavy lump!

(it takes up most of the floor of their large-ish caravan).

No idea where you'd want to be storing/transporting something like that in a panel van conversion? ( I wouldn't what it stuffed into a toilet room/shower tray, due to it's weight!)

We've had a couple of (old,discontinued now) small poled type awnings over the years..

An Outdoor Revolution Driveaway awning never got used in anger (and was sold-on unused, as it was too much like putting a tent up again).

We used a small basic caravan porch type awning a fair few times, if staying put for a few days(at festivals).but obviously, not a "driveaway".

Address how you are going to attach the awning to your van (throw-over straps? or to a gutter rail, if your van has one?)

Also be aware that unless the awning is quite long, there's a chance the the siding door "may" contact the awning wall or even protrude outside when the door is opened?.

From what I've read over the years, a good many motorhome awnings do end up getting sold-on, as they they get little use (what starts as a "must have", can turn into a bit of a pain, when it come to putting up/packing away- especilly in the wet!).

We've used a Quechua pop up shelter for years now.- as a cooking/storage tent and/or shelter (used with our MHs and our "festival camping-van").Again a large "bulky"(but lightweight) thing to cart about.. but I have a feeling that they no longer make them anyway..?

It’s a Marmite topic :-)

Try the forum search button on top of the web page and use “awning” as the search topic.

There is a drop down list that lists week, month year etc. Sometimes the “All Posts” is missed on the display of smaller tablets. Just scroll down and tick it.

Keep you reading for hours!

Rgds

ken001muffin - 2020-08-04 8:50 PM

Looks like a good awning at a good price, the first thing you need to do is check the height at which you are going to attach the awning to your van and then check the awning spec to ensure it fits. Next you need to understand which type of fitting you are going to use eg throw over straps or a railing fitment to your wind out awning and make sure the awning is suitable. They do provide a lot of extra space. However, like everyone else, I can only advise that you think twice before buying, I bought one and found it too bulky for carrying in the van unless it was on the bed, found I couldn't be bothered to put it up unless staying put for some time and found driving away and reassembly such a major faff that I didn't even attempt it a second time, I was also left with a steaming soggy mess when packing up in the rain or after it had been raining In the end didn't even try and sell it, I literally took it down the tip.

Archived