Driving Licence Renewal.

Ninian

HI, Has anyone else had this scenario.

My licence expires next month but I'm not 70 until the very end of December '19. When I renew it will the DVLA automatically remove the C1 category which I need for my 4.25 T motorhome OR will it come back as is, meaning I would have to renew it again in Jan '20 when I reach 70.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Ninian - 2019-07-09 1:39 PM

HI, Has anyone else had this scenario.

My licence expires next month but I'm not 70 until the very end of December '19. When I renew it will the DVLA automatically remove the C1 category which I need for my 4.25 T motorhome OR will it come back as is, meaning I would have to renew it again in Jan '20 when I reach 70.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Suggest you check with DVA, but my expectation would be that there are two possibilities.

1 Renew now (about which you have no choice) and may then receive a licence that retains your C1 category valid until your 70th birthday - when you will have to re-apply with the medical information to retain the C1.

2 Renew now making an early application to retain your C1 category beyond 70 (for which a medical is required) which I would expect to expire three years from the date of issue.

I recently had a renewal reminder for a licence that will expire in September, so you seem to have been given very little notice of expiry if you've only just got your reminder.

Getting the medical and eye test can take a while, as can DVLA (don't know about DVA) to check the medical report, so I think you'll need to get your skates on!

Archived