Driving Licences

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
The March 2005 issue of Motorhome Monthly magazine (page 28) mentions an amendment being considered by the European Parliament relating to the "motorhome driving-licence 3500kg limit". Most people will be aware that, from 1 January 1997, passing a car driving-test earns you a Category B driving-licence limiting you to vehicles not exceeding an overall weight of 3500kg, plus a trailer up to 750kg. Over the last few years, the chassis on which the majority of Eurozone-built motorhomes are based have been getting progressively heavier as safety and creature-comfort features have been added. During the same period, motorcaravanners have become seduced by the idea of 'big is better' - hence big-bodied 'vans with big motors to pull 'em, big fridges, big water-tanks, big batteries, etc. Together, these factors produce a predictable result - heavier motorhome designs, many of which must inevitably exceed the 3500kg threshold. This is bad news for motorhome manufacturers who would love to build these profitably luxurious vehicles, but can see a lucrative market vanishing as fewer and fewer potential buyers hold licences permitting them to drive anything over 3.5t. Of course the current rules also hit motorcaravanners themselves, as first-timers' choice of vehicle is reduced and large motorhome designs end up with pitifully inadequate payload. Also the "downgrade to Category B licence at age 70" rule means that drivers currently holding up-to-7500kg licences may have to exchange their over-3500kg 'vans for lighter ones. The Category B driving-licence already permits a 4250kg 'train' to be driven (3500kg towing-vehicle + 750kg trailer), so a special dispensation to include up-to-4250kg motorhomes would not be illogical. Motorhome Monthly promises to keep its readers posted on how the proposed amendment progresses.

Hi Derek You dont have to loose the 7500kg licence if you can pass the medical Our van conversion has Full cooker, Fridge, shower, toilet, and blown air (deisel powered) central heating. All with a pay load of 1120kg. 2.8Turbo diesel engine doing 35mph at 60+ down continental motorways I deliberately picked a van conveersion when I recconed up the pay load - Also when we bought ours the 2.8TDi was not available on 3500kg MGW vans And after some 40+ years of driving underpowered vans opted for one with more poke under the bonnet

Guest Derek Uzzell
But if you can't pass the age-70 medical (or choose not to take it) then your licence will be downgraded to 3500kg - that's why I said "MAY have to exchange". By the way, what motorhome have you got? I've assumed it was a Devon, but I could easily be wrong.

Archived