Driving a panel van as first vehicle after test

Dan t smart

I’m thinking of buying a panel van motorhome no bigger than 6 m in length and 2.3 litre next year after passing my test this year At the age of 29 as my first vehicle as don’t see the point in buying a car first as no need for one and this is the whole reason it has made me want to learn to drive. I have looked at insurance and it’s expensive but affordable. Am I mad or Do you think this is achievable ? Has anyone else done this ?

Couple of points.

From a point of learning to drive, then I don't see any real problems, you will soon get used to it.

Re convenience, you will need to assess your own circumstances, a 6m van can be difficult to park, if not banned, in many car parks, if you will be having to park in town centres very often then a Transit or Ducato might not be a good choice for a single vehicle, but a SWB Transporter or Vivaro will be hardly any different to a car.

Not quite sure if you've already passed your test, but if not, have you explored the possibility of learning on a van? My reasoning is that if learning with a driving school they often use fairly small cars, so the move up to a van of any size is liable to be disorienting, plus the controls will feel different (as they do when switching to any different vehicle).

With familiarity one begins to drive without having to concentrate on the clutch, the brakes, where the gear lever is, which gear to switch to, to apply the handbrake, to use the indicators, and to keep monitoring the mirrors. It all becomes second nature, and one develops a sort of "auto-pilot" that takes care of all those jobs, leaving one to concentrate on the road and other road users.

I remember hiring an estate car for a holiday with friends when my own car was a Mini (hence the estate car!) and my reaction on turning in the driving seat to reverse it for the first time was that the rear window was about 100 yards back!

If you can learn on a van of similar size at least you won't suffer that surprise on top of having to familiarise with a strange vehicle.

Failing that, it may make the transition easier if you have had to learn and pass your test in a car, to get a cheap run-around for 6 months or so and drive that as often and as far as you can until driving has become second nature. Then sell it or trade it in against the van and you'll only have to learn to vans differences rather than having to also develop that second nature familiarity with driving at the same time.

As you say, the insurance will be expensive, but if, in a moment of confusion caused by the unfamiliar and larger van, you damage it, the insurance premium will be liable to increase punitively as a consequence.

Folk always focus on the length, but think of the height as well. Some car parks will have a height limit. I could just squeeze my VW T5 into the multi-story locally, but had a narrow escape when I had to try the upper floor one busy day, and found the limit was a precious 20cm less!

Other than that, go for it. I passed my test aged seventeen and a half, came home and took out my parents VW T2 camper (they were away!)

Hi Dan

I see you say you’ve no need for a car generally.

So a camper seems a great idea.

Ideally one with a shower and a proper loo is best rather than a day van.

You could go to a commercial company like Top gear Halesowen and take a lesson in a van or a 16 seater minibus to become accustomed to a PVC.

Going shopping to a supermarket is generally no problem.

Ours is 6.4 mtrs. and find no problem parking and even in our A class larger ones were ok.

Just took up a couple of places.

Den

My 6m Globecar PVC is my only vehicle. I don't find it a problem at all. In normal times I use public transport as much as possible when at home,for environmental reasons. It has to earn its keep and It is great for collecting large DIY items and during a house refurb in 2016 I did 15 tip runs in it after first lining the interior with protective card board sheets. Normal vans were only allowed with a permit,got away with it as we were a camper.Go for it, you will love it when you use it for it's intended purpose. Don't think I'd use one for a regular commute or anything like that though.

Archived