Drop down beds and fire evacuations

Brock

Went to the Motorhome Show at Peterborough looking at vans with drop down beds in the body of the motorhome, not the cab. I questioned two motorhome dealers about fire evacuation when the bed was down. It seemed to me the bed blocked exiting via the door unless you raised the bed, crawled and could reach the door handle. Both dealers said the vans met with the appropriate legislation but neither knew what it was. One wasn't willing to drop the bed so we could see ourselves whilst we didn't ask the other.

My questions are how safe are motorhomes with drop down beds in the centre of the habitation area in the event of fire and what are the regulations covering such a fire.

The drop down bed in my A-class cab does not hinder exit through the main door but you would need to crawl to get out through the passenger door if the bed was down.

On the 2017 Chausson Welcome 610 the bed covered abut half the hab door width, but didn't obscure access to the door handle. I think there was (just) enough room to get past the bed & out of the door had the need arisen.

Our current 2018 Welcome 610 has a completely different drop down bed mechanism design to the 2017 version & has a cut-off at the foot end of the bed frame (like a French bed) which leaves the doorway unobstructed.

On either I can (could) get off the bed at the cab side over the cab seats, so egress via the cab doors would be an option in an extreme situation.

Which specific manufacturers / models did you think had a problem ?

Nigel B.

The two vehicles we looked at came from Hymer and EuroMobil.

The Hymer dealer would not drop the bed but taking a lead from Nigel's comment, I've looked at internet pictures of the HYMER B-Class ModernComfort T. The optional drop down bed does have a cut out in the base (shame the dealer didn't know his product) but it's unclear to me whether the mattress has. It looks like the Euromobil has a cut out as well based on the website 360 video (we didn't ask the sales people as they were having a chat).

Our Burstner Ixeo680G has a drop down bed and the main door access is 100% clear so no problem, the only problem being the front seats are turned inward and the bed covers a portion of them so a quick driving get away would be a problem fesspark

"The optional drop down bed does have a cut out in the base (shame the dealer didn't know his product) but it's unclear to me whether the mattress has"

On both of the Chausson beds the mattress sits snugly inside (and is retained by) the base, so has to be the same shape.

Nigel B

We had a Sunlight T67 with a drop down bed, that also gave 100% to the door. I would not have bought one that covers the door.

Archived