Dual Batteries wiring check

suethedriver

I have just upgraded my van and discovered it has 2 batteries wired in series not parallel . Looks like a home job done badly to be honest and even the wire used from the solar is not the usual black coaxial type i have had before just heavy duty houshold stuff ( it has obviously worked for the previous owners but im not too sure )

One of the batteries was duff causing control panel issues. I have replaced it with a good one ( july 2021 in ex condition) I have you tubed how to wire in parallel but just need some confirmation i have understood correctly please.

New seperate wire pos batt 1 to pos batt 2

New wire neg batt 1 to neg batt 2 ( now classed as 1 unit ?)

Existing charge wire from vehicle system Pos batt 1 neg to batt 2

I also have 2 solar panels with wires now combined to 1 piece so i guess same with that pos to batt 1 neg to batt 2

Please can you confirm this is correct before i damage anything.

Many thanks (?)

If the batteries were wired in series were they 6 volt or 12 volt batteries?

Two 6 volt in series would equal 12 volts BUT two 12 volts in series would equal 24 volts!

If you have added a new 12 volt to an existing 6 volt then you would be running your system at 18 volts!!!

Keith.

I have now taken it down to just 1 x 12v battery until i know i can carry out the correct procedure.

They are 2 x 12v batteries 110ah

They were wired main wires to batt 1 and then 2 x thin wires spurred off to batt 2 so, to my brain, not acting as a larger capacity 12v which is what i think i need for off grid living just charging from 2 solar panels . Everything i will use will only be 12v eg lights or maybe tv .

suethedriver - 2022-01-06 11:12 AM

They were wired main wires to batt 1 and then 2 x thin wires spurred off to batt 2

From that description if + was wired to + and - to - then they where in parallel. Just not the best way to do it as the second battery would receive less charge and load due to the added resistance of the wiring.

The better way to do it is as you say in your first post. Main Positive lead to one batteries positive and main negative to the second batteries negative.

Keith.

515534448_connecting-two-batteries-in-parallel(2).jpg.47fce75de6c5627430d3f7eabbaf9169.jpg

Archived