Dual battery charging differing Ah between batteries

chrsfrm

HI everyone. Trying to understand what is happening.

Set up: 1 x solar panel 80W + 1 x panel 100W, connected in parallel via a PWM controller with remote display. 2 x new 120Ah lead acid batteries connected in parallel. Controller set at default = 90% charge to battery 1, then auto over to battery 2 when B1 is charged.

Problem: Combined panel output shows 2394Ah. Battery 1 shows Ah on display at 1892 but Battery 2 only shows 472Ah.

I thought that both would be 50% of the 2394Ah if they are both fully charged.

Is this correct or do I have a problem? Thanks guys, very confused here.

I think your confusion could be in the numbering of the batteries. Battery 1 appears to be your PAIR of leisure batteries and battery 2 is your starter battery.

Think about it, if the leisure batteries are actually wired in parallel at the batteries then the charger has no way of differentiating the charge between the two.

Others may chime in and explain further...

Keith.

Thank you Keith.

I did some more web research based on your comments and am now happy.

You are completely correct.

Now I will look into upgrading my PWM to a dual battery MPPT controller, with B1 = Leisure and B2= Starter.

Such a great forum, thanks again.

If the OP's vehicle is still a 3.0 L 160 Maxi, then the stated 60 Ah starter battery is too small for the application. I would expect to see something in the region 100 Ah on such a vehicle, but the CCA or similar rating of the battery should be the prime consideration.

Conventionally B1 is normally the starter battery, with B2 being the additional habitation, or often so called "leisure" battery.

Alan

Archived