Ducato 2.2

Fgg226

Any dashboard lights on - like the padlock showing the immobiliser / not communicating with the ignition key?

(PS: The coil around the ignition lock barrel sends a wireless signal to the chip in the key. If it doesn't get the right signal back the padlock should stay lit, and the engine crank but not start.)

Turn ignition on all dash lights normal .no padlock light on for few seconds then comes on and stays on .cranks as normal but won’t start

Have tried complete second hand Ecu kit and still same problem

Have done all the usual checks on wiring behind fuse box and under passenger headlight

Fgg226 - 2018-11-06 4:32 PM

.no padlock light on for few seconds then comes on and stays on .cranks as normal but won’t start

It won't start if the padlock light is on.

Might be a defective key - do you have a spare to try?

If that doesn't work take off the covering around the ignition key barrel and check the 2 thin wires running from the coil around it to the ECU. Has someone fitted an interruptor switcjh as part of an immobiliser system?

Hello,

Been too busy to look here for a couple of days but since i had a Cornish garage call me today and ask this same question i thought i would have a gander!

I had a similar problem not long ago and it was found to be a broken wire between the ECU and the firewall where the loom goes into the cab. The wire was apparently responsible for 'waking up' the ECU and was failing to send the appropriate command from the body computer. This makes the ECU believe that the engine is being turned over without the immobiliser code and obviously refuses to start.

If it is not this, i hope that the garage have already checked the CAL 5 fuse on the positive battery terminal. This can have the same effect. But they must have checked that, mustn't they?

I only wish i could find a way of making a living out of this!

N

euroserv - 2018-11-07 5:22 PM

I only wish i could find a way of making a living out of this!

N

Maybe you can? Trouble is you'd need to be pretty mobile ...... and how about towing a 3.5t + ramp 8-)

Seriously Nick if you were anywhere near me I'd be happy to pay you as a Consultant :-D

euroserv - 2018-11-07 5:22 PM

Hello,

If it is not this, i hope that the garage have already checked the CAL 5 fuse on the positive battery terminal. This can have the same effect. But they must have checked that, mustn't they?.............................................

N

Please I am confused by the above statement. It is my understanding that the CAL x range of fuses are generally used as starter motor fuses. If this fuse had failed, I would not expect the srarter motor to crank the engine???

Alan

I am not sure but think Nick is referring to the fuses as part of the Starter battery positive clamp, one of which is the Starter cable feed, one is the Alternator feed. don't know what the others are for, but presumably feed to various accessories, devices, like body computer?

See photo of X250 Starter battery box.

273893117_FiatX250Batteryboxfuses.thumb.jpg.68a765408ddd67ff5832f020bcd858f1.jpg

Allan,

Thanks for the picture, which is similar to my x244. The CAL fuse is the one on the right, connected to the thick red starter motor cable at the bottom of the picture. This fuse is not fitted on my x244.

The other fuses will be for the alternator as you suggest, and if similar to the x244 the remaining fuses are for, the engine bay fuse panel, and the RHS cab fuse panel. The LHS cab fuse panel, is connected via the engine bay panel.

However that does not help the OP, but I expect that Nick's suggestion of a faulty wire/connection to the ecu, will take some time to investigate.

Alan

Alanb - 2018-11-08 8:48 PM

I expect that Nick's suggestion of a faulty wire/connection to the ecu, will take some time to investigate.

Alan

As I put in earlier posts the 2 thin wires run from the coil around the ignition lock barrel to the ECU.

As Nick says, chafing her they go through the bulkhead is a strong possibility.

But we are talking very low voltages here so all connections need to be perfect.

Plugs and sockets need checking obviously.

If someone has cut one of these wires in the past to fit an immopbiliser switch, and rejoined them somewhere, the join may have corroded sufficient to stop the ECU communicating with the key.

Producing exactly the symptoms the OP describes.

Archived