Ducato 2009 - Spare wheel removal tool problem

johnnyNorwich

Hi Folks

I was recently preparing my Ducato based motorhome for a trip to France, by giving it a good general check over.

Despite owning it for almost three years, I’ve never had a puncture in it, and so I’ve never tried removing the spare wheel.

I felt therefore, that it was high time I checked the spare wheels condition, and became more familiar with its removal procedure.

After checking in the Fiat toolbox from under the passengers seat that all tools and the jack were present. I inspected the under-slung spare wheel, which was nicely inflated, I then located the spare wheels internal pentagon screw-drive lowering recess, which the bespoke Fiat hex tool should fit in to.

After being unable to get the tool to fit, I was astounded when I realised that the Fiat supplied six-sided male hex tool, simply didn’t mate up with the female five-sided internal pentagon recessed screw-drive, and removal of the spare wheel was completely impossible with the supplied tool.

I have since discovered that there was a type-change of spare wheel carrier on Ducatos, around the time that my vehicle (2009) was manufactured, and that some vans [including mine] were supplied with the new (pentagon screw) spare-wheel carrier, yet have the old (and incompatible) hex removal tool in the toolbox.

Have you ever checked yours?

1670866873_Ducatosparewheelloweringpentagonrecess.jpg.79cd6500d33f789a37386af3edbcde1e.jpg

1690515012_DucatosparewheelHexloweringtool.jpg.8f47aae4ebfb30a1d49495fa36189642.jpg

Just so happens my brother had a flat a month ago in some tiny Bulgarian town. He tried to remove the spare and the mechanism didn't work. Luckily there was a tire garage just down the street, the guy came out, took the wheel off, went back to fix it and put it back on. It cost my brother a beer and 5€ for the service.

Apparently the mechanism is a very simple design but a bit of rust can easily prevent you from getting the spare off. Been told having someone use some brute force while you wind down sometimes helps. Now waiting for the next scheduled service for our garage to replace the thing.

My problem's the other way round. Three or four times the spare wheel carrier has come loose and the wheel's dropped down. Hasn't come off but has dropped enough that it's dragged on the ground but fortunately not damaged the wheel or tyre. Had a Peugeot dealer look at it and all he said was "hmm needs tightening up" which he did for me but it happened again. So I've since put a heavy duty cable tie round the wheel and the cross brace to make sure it stays put. Seems that the ratchet mechanism isn't strong enough or is slipping (???) not sure which.

There was a safety-recall in 2011 relating to the spare-wheel-carrier factory-fitted to Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Relay and Fiat Ducato vehicles. Details are on the DVSA website and the Ducato entry is here

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=5286FB614962C05C802578D90046BE8A&freeText=Blank&tx=

As Johnny found out, the tool needed to operate the replacement winch has a 5-sided end rather than the 6-sided end of the original tool. Motorhome forums contain the occasional report of the winch being swapped but the 5-sided tool not being provided to the vehicle’s owner and this omission is mentioned in the reviews in the following advert for the later tool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer-Citroen-Relay-Spare-Wheel-Winch-Tool-5-Side-1369574080-/232190703217

Archived