Ducato 3 litre - access to and servicing an EGR valve

betsy

My 2010 LHD Burstner (46,000 miles on the clock) has, for sometime, tended to “hunt” for a short period after being started up from cold. After that she runs perfectly and when put through diagnosis by a computer last week showed no faults at all.

My research having pointed me in the direction of a clogged up EGR valve, I decided to clean mine (I once did this to a 2 litre Ford diesel with a huge improvement in performance). Unfortunately, my efforts came to a grinding halt as, although releasing all it’s fixings, I cannot seem to remove (from the engine compartment) the big black plastic moulded air vent that sits directly over the engine and, of course, the offending EGR unit. The air vent, I note, is actually made up from two sections but I am afraid of separating them whilst still inside the engine compartment as I think I it would be difficult to put them back together in the same place (when work on the EGR has been completed).

Can anyone help, not only advising me on the best way to gain access, but also as how to go about ‘servicing’ the EGR valve itself?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Morning Hans and Mike,

Thank you for your posts.

I will do dome research/checking on the solenoid valve (located behind the centre steel

bracket).

Still would like to hear from someone about How to extract the air vent. i note that the cross bar which houses the hood opening/closing mechanism has a cut out on the same side as the vent (mine is a LHD. vehicle) and it looks like it may have been put there to aid extraction of the vent.

By the way, Mike, is Silves busy? Hope to be in the area early in the new year.

Regards

Morning Hans and Mike,

Thank you for your posts.

I will do dome research/checking on the solenoid valve (located behind the centre steel

bracket).

Still would like to hear from someone about How to extract the air vent. i note that the cross bar which houses the hood opening/closing mechanism has a cut out on the same side as the vent (mine is a LHD. vehicle) and it looks like it may have been put there to aid extraction of the vent.

By the way, Mike, is Silves busy? Hope to be in the area early in the new year.

Regards

You really need to obtain a copy of Fiat eLearn for the Ducato X250. It's the official workshop manual.

You can get it for free if your internet search skills are good, otherwise you should be able to find a copy on eBay or similar for a fairly modest price.

Anyway, I don't know if this will work as I've never tried to attach a PDF file here before, but I'll try:

And fail :-(

Despite the forum FAQ stating that the file limit is now 200KB it rejects the 139KB file showing how to remove the air duct, as being too large!

Feel free to PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you direct.

(200KB size-limit for Moderators - 100KB limit for everybody else.- - DU)

Archived