Ducato drivers window

PJay

Any one have a this problem ?

Our drivers window, has been playing up! It has been sticking open , and we where unable to close it.

As we where on site we left it , than OH decided to have a look at it. On trying to close it , before deciding how to repair it tried it IT CLOSED!! Ok for a while, then the same thing happened . Left for a day IT WORKED again We decided to not open that one, which meant that on returning home on ferry, we had to make sure that the passenger side Kiosk (Passport control ) was used both getting on and off the ferry.

Got home late last night OH accidently opened the window, same problem would not shut (was raining too) Put plastic sheet over it, and BINGO this am works again

Any one else experienced this problem? If so what was the cure ? Sounds like could be an expensive repair!

PJay

Sounds like an intermittent electrical problem. The drivers door tends to get used more than the passenger door so the electrical wires at the door hinge will have had more excercise over the years.

The wires at the hinge may have become partially fractured. With the door open, try wiggling the rubber conduit which contains the power wires and operate the window to see if that affects the operation of the window.

Had the same problem 2 years ago - window went down but would only come back up when it decided to.

I found that by not fully lowering it (leaving 3" of glass showing) - it would work properly and go up and down every time and still does.

At the time I reflected on possible causes and rembered that the first time that it happened was when we were saying goodbye to someone who had been leaning heavily on top of the glass with their elbows..... Is there a limit switch at the bottom that may have been stressed??

Anyway I use it as it is and never fully lower the window and always tell my local garage not to lower the window, although at service time in February they probably don't need to.

Perhaps someone will come up with the mechanical answer, but if it is complicated or costly, I'll carry on with my make do solution

Mine is 2006 model x244

Ruby(Exsis) - 2017-10-11 9:22 AM

Had the same problem 2 years ago - window went down but would only come back up when it decided to.

I found that by not fully lowering it (leaving 3" of glass showing) - it would work properly and go up and down every time and still does.

At the time I reflected on possible causes and rembered that the first time that it happened was when we were saying goodbye to someone who had been leaning heavily on top of the glass with their elbows..... Is there a limit switch at the bottom that may have been stressed??

Anyway I use it as it is and never fully lower the window and always tell my local garage not to lower the window, although at service time in February they probably don't need to.

Perhaps someone will come up with the mechanical answer, but if it is complicated or costly, I'll carry on with my make do solution

Mine is 2006 model x244

Ours is also 2006 reg. It appears to be Ok after having the engine off for a while.

OH did google, and there is a long video on the subject I don't think any one has lent on it , as is quiet high . Our friend in France , where we were staying , gave us a piece of plastic to fit over , so we where glad to have this with us when we got home late on Monday as it stated to rain. To top it all , we could not open the car door to move it, (we have to play musical cars ) with the fob , having taken time to work out how to obtain the hidden key, the car did start.

This has been the first time in 11 years, when we have had problems whilst on holiday. Not all van related.

Think maybe some one is telling us time to give up !!!

PJay

PJay,

May I suggest that you read Allan's (aandacaravans) posting on the thread "Do vehicle fuses wear out?".

As my PVC is a 2006 X244, I have been following your thread with some interest.

Unfortunately while the diagams for the X244 indicate that the window/central locking control unit is under the dash, I have so far been unable to identify it. IT SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE AIRBAG CONTROL UNIT WHICH IS BEHIND A COVER IN THE CENTRE OF THE FOOTWELL.

MODERATOR. May I suggest that consideration is given to combining the threads.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved!!

Took van to Fiat commercial garage,having exhausted all the door /fuse options.

They discovered a broken relay , by the steering column Had to take the dash board off.

Cost us just short of £300.00!! Labour But now we know it.s fixed , and probably could not have repaired it ourselves, without the right tools ,

PJay

Alanb - 2017-10-13 10:18 AM

...MODERATOR. May I suggest that consideration is given to combining the threads.

Not possible.

Moderators can delete, freeze or ‘sticky’ a thread, or move a complete thread from one forum to another. It’s also possible to delete a posting within a thread or edit the content of a posting. But a posting (or postings) in one thread cannot be moved to another, which prevents several threads being combined into one.

PJay - 2017-11-03 5:17 PM

Problem solved!!

They discovered a broken relay , by the steering column Had to take the dash board off.

Cost us just short of £300.00!! Labour But now we know it.s fixed , and probably could not have repaired it ourselves, without the right tools ,

PJay

Please may I ask what the cost of the part was?

I ask because I have some wiring diagrams for X244 Ducato. There is no relay shown on the window control diagram, however all window controls route via the central locking and window control unit. I suspect that this would be an expensive component. Despite a lot of work under the dash I have as previously stated not managed to locate it. I am not surprised that the dash had to come off.

Thanks Alan

Alanb - 2017-11-03 10:41 PM

PJay - 2017-11-03 5:17 PM

Problem solved!!

PJay

Please may I ask what the cost of the part was?

I ask because I have some wiring diagrams for X244 Ducato. There is no relay shown on the window control diagram, however all window controls route via the central locking and window control unit. I suspect that this would be an expensive component. Despite a lot of work under the dash I have as previously stated not managed to locate it. I am not surprised that the dash had to come off.

Thanks Alan

My mistake Alan

it was a pin on a connector, which they said they bypassed !

The cost was for labour 225.00 plus a fuse 1.87 and "sundries" 1.50 ( tea and biscuits ?)plus vat

Our model is pre change in 2006

The problem was originally just occasionally, and after leaving for a while would be OK. so probably been broken for a while, but OH did try ti find the fault , but did not take the dash out. But when you get to our age , it is easier to pay a professional, and as we are thinking of selling, want everything to be working properly. we even had a new windscreen fitted , as a chip, that was previously repaired , about 4 years ago, appeared again

PJay

Archived