Ducato sliding door window

costaexpress

The window assembly in my Ducato sliding door is making a terrible rattle. I would like to remove it and check it is seated and secured correctly. Has anyone done similar and can advise on how I remove the trim. It looks like a lot of it just prises out, however, even after taking a few deep breaths I'm still reluctant to make the first move.

Is there a maker’s name on the Autocruise Select windows?

The attached photo shows the sliding-door window, and it looks like the less-sophisticated ’caravan’ type that is attached to a top-hinge screwed to the vehicle’s bodywork and with rubber seals that butt against the bodywork, rather than the more expensive type that are more flush-fitting with a proper frame.

I had ‘caravan type’ acrylic windows on my 2005 Hobby motorhome and - once closed and locked -the window itself never rattled. However (as Don has said) there is plenty of scope for the window-stays or the window blinds to rattle.

You might try asking about this via the Swift Motorhomes Owners Club Facebook group

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/4689823807/about

It seems unlikely that someone on this forum will have done what you are proposing on an Autocruise Select model, so - if you MUST remove the trim - you may have to grit your teeth, use judicious brute force and hope no damage results.

1862534983_selectwindow.png.848f625a538c3615b8e021151948b831.png

Thanks. Yes its the cheaper type window. As the other post says I can reduce it by placing a series of small rubber wedges around the frame its just a pain removing them at night to close the blind and it still doesn't eliminate it entirely which makes me wonder if it is fixed in correctly. Once we are free to move around if I haven't fixed it by then I'll drop it off at the dealer who are happy to look at it just that they are 140 miles away so thought I might have a go myself. Will try and identify the window manufacturer next time I go to the storage compound.

I’m pretty sure that Select panel-van conversions have Acryform “Plastoform Blanca” windows manufactured in Slovenia.

https://www.acryform.com/en/products/windows

I don’t know when your motorhome was built (I did ask in an earlier thread but you omitted to say) but your Swift Group Owner’s Handbook should contain references to Plastoform Blanca windows in the "Windows and Blinds" section. The window blinds may be Horrex products.

With this type of window, provided that the top-hinge part has been firmly fixed and (when the window is closed) the window seals fit tightly against the motorhome’s bodywork all the way round, there’s not much potential for rattling from the window itself. As ‘wedging’ the window has proven to reduce the noise, you may be correct that the window was not installed properly when your motorhome was built.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-03-21 7:39 AM

I’m pretty sure that Select panel-van conversions have Acryform “Plastoform Blanca” windows manufactured in Slovenia.

https://www.acryform.com/en/products/windows

I don’t know when your motorhome was built (I did ask in an earlier thread but you omitted to say) but your Swift Group Owner’s Handbook should contain references to Plastoform Blanca windows in the "Windows and Blinds" section. The window blinds may be Horrex products.

With this type of window, provided that the top-hinge part has been firmly fixed and (when the window is closed) the window seals fit tightly against the motorhome’s bodywork all the way round, there’s not much potential for rattling from the window itself. As ‘wedging’ the window has proven to reduce the noise, you may be correct that the window was not installed properly when your motorhome was built.

That looks like my window, however, I now realise I have misled the forum, the problem isn't the actual window its somewhere within the blind fitting within the window space and the plastic outer trim which tidies it all up and I suspect the blind fittings are loose or broken, the first part of investigation is to remove the outer trim which I suspect prises out, however, need confirmation before I apply too much force.

Realistically, obtaining informed guidance is only likely to be obtainable from Swift, a Swift/Autocruise dealership or the Facebook group I provided a link to earlier.

Motorhome's are designed to be built not dismantled and removing interior trim without causing damage can be challenging.

If there are no visible fixings (eg. screws hidden beneath cosmetic caps) and you think that 'prising' will detach the trim and allow you to access the blind, then you are probably correct. But - unless you can contact someone who has either done this on a Select model or actually KNOWS how to do it, you'll need to lose your trim-removing virginity yourself.

Thanks, I think you are right, either dive in or leave for the dealer when I'm next down that way. Thanks for the facebook link, however, I am not on facebook and not planning on jopining. The Swift owners club website closed down due to inappropriate behaviour I believe so I will do a bit more digging on the web, not like we are going anywhere for at least 3 more weeks.

Facebook is widely used nowadays by groups of people for data storage and discussion rather than hosting a forum in the traditional manner. For unusual specific enquiries about Swift motorhomes the Swift Motorhomes Owners Club Facebook group should be the best starting point.

Facebook is a bit like Scientology - it’s easy to become a member but there’s definitely no encouragement to ‘un-member’ oneself.

In practice, if you just wanted to sample the Swift Motorhomes Owners Club Facebook group, it’s simple enough to unsubscribe from Facebook.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-unsubscribe-facebook

If your motorhome’s blinds are made by Horrex, the company’s website is here

https://www.horrex.nl/

I’ve attached below an interior view photo of a Select 164’s sliding-door window and I assume you want to remove the trim (arrowed in red) that hides the edges of the blind. The photo shows no obvious visible fixings, so it’s reasonable to think that removal would involve brute force.

If the window were fully opened and the blind fully retracted, could you get any clue about how the trim is fixed? If carefully pushing/prising against the rear of the trim from outside the vehicle caused the trim to move, you might be able to know how much effort would be needed to take the trim off and what risks might be involved.

The blinds of my Rapido motorhome’s large roof-window used to rattle slightly when the vehicle was being driven. My wife is oblivious to such noises, but I’m not. I cured the rattling using small pieces of brush-pile draught excluder (example on link below) that stopped the blinds moving when they were fully retracted.

https://www.thehairyworm.co.uk/draught-proofing/the-hairy-worm

650002220_Select_164window.jpg.4f97d3cd55b812627c397360ac2b9709.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2021-03-22 7:51 AM

Facebook is widely used nowadays by groups of people for data storage and discussion rather than hosting a forum in the traditional manner. For unusual specific enquiries about Swift motorhomes the Swift Motorhomes Owners Club Facebook group should be the best starting point.

Facebook is a bit like Scientology - it’s easy to become a member but there’s definitely no encouragement to ‘un-member’ oneself.

In practice, if you just wanted to sample the Swift Motorhomes Owners Club Facebook group, it’s simple enough to unsubscribe from Facebook.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-unsubscribe-facebook

If your motorhome’s blinds are made by Horrex, the company’s website is here

https://www.horrex.nl/

I’ve attached below an interior view photo of a Select 164’s sliding-door window and I assume you want to remove the trim (arrowed in red) that hides the edges of the blind. The photo shows no obvious visible fixings, so it’s reasonable to think that removal would involve brute force.

If the window were fully opened and the blind fully retracted, could you get any clue about how the trim is fixed? If carefully pushing/prising against the rear of the trim from outside the vehicle caused the trim to move, you might be able to know how much effort would be needed to take the trim off and what risks might be involved.

The blinds of my Rapido motorhome’s large roof-window used to rattle slightly when the vehicle was being driven. My wife is oblivious to such noises, but I’m not. I cured the rattling using small pieces of brush-pile draught excluder (example on link below) that stopped the blinds moving when they were fully retracted.

https://www.thehairyworm.co.uk/draught-proofing/the-hairy-worm

What a fantastic response, many thanks. That could be a photo straight from my van. Yes that is the piece of trim (red arrow) that I am trying to decide whether to have a go at. When I get the van from storage I will also have a look to see what I can ascertain from looking outside in as you suggest. I will also have a look at where I can wedge it without impeding the blinds opening and closing (if that turns out to be possible then I will just leave the job to the dealer next time I'm down that way). It really does rattle over every pothole or bump in the road and that's why I think something is loose in there. Thanks for the link to the draught excluder, nice simple idea, I'll just check what height i need and get some on order. I do not have a trip boked until 20th April so plenty of time to see what's what. I was on facebook and understand its value, however, for one reason or another (friends and family) it became more like the chatterbox section on this forum and eventually decided my life didn't need it especially as like a moth to a flame i couldn't help responding!

• 2 years later...

Hey there! I came across this thread and saw that you were looking for advice on removing the trim on your Ducato sliding door window. I totally get being hesitant to make the first move, but it's not as tough as it seems. Just give it a little force and it should come out. Just be careful not to break anything in the process. Have you thought about getting some sun shades for your Ducato? They're super helpful for keeping the heat out and protecting your interior from UV damage. I got mine from (advertising link removed) and they've been really great. Sorry if I'm replying super late to this post, but I just wanted to offer some advice. Let me know if you need any more help!

Archived