Ducato soft-close sliding door retro-fit?

mikebeaches

Can anybody help with some info. I'm wondering if it's possible to have the electric 'soft-close' mechanism retro-fitted on a 2013 Ducato sliding door. It was - and believe still is - available as a factory fitted optional extra on new vans.

I called Fiat and they didn't know! They were unwilling to let me speak to anybody in their technical department, or to find out for me. Instead they referred me to my local dealer - they didn't think so, but weren't sure!

Many thanks, Mike

....it is fitted as standard on Globecar/Poessl van conversions (from 2014 MY, I believe), and they appear to currently have exclusive rights to it.

I know of at least one (continental) dealer that is offering to retro-fit the device, BUT, only to models of the above that pre-date the standard fit (and at a not-inconsiderable cost of €1485 !!)

Many thanks for that! I am interested in a 2013 Globecar 3lt automatic with less than 3,000 miles on the clock, which unfortunately predates the standard fit on 2014 models. It would be a valuable piece of kit we'd appreciate having, but I agree £1485 is a bit expensive, though we might still consider it.

Do you have the details of the dealer?

Thanks again.

Any other information appreciated.

Mike

mikebeaches - 2015-02-09 12:19 PM

Many thanks for that! I am interested in a 2013 Globecar 3lt automatic with less than 3,000 miles on the clock, which unfortunately predates the standard fit on 2014 models. It would be a valuable piece of kit we'd appreciate having, but I agree £1485 is a bit expensive, though we might still consider it.

Do you have the details of the dealer?

Thanks again.

Any other information appreciated.

Mike

Ah, just spotted your quoted price is in € Euro, not £ Sterling, which helps a bit. :-D

Mike

MMMM, interesting, I have seen a 'softclose system' on a VW based Autosleeper Topaz, but didn't know that Fiat did them ?

It's the sort of 'Option' that might swing me into getting a PVC, up til now all the Slam,Slam, Double Slam has put me off of them.

Ray

Mind you at that price it might be cheaper to get an IH with a Standard Hab door in the first place ?

http://www.ihmotorhomes.com/new-motorhomes/n-class/N630-RG

AMAZING - that is really helpful - thanks! Appreciate your fast response and the valuable information.

Mike

The answer is simple. If your vehicle has the sliding door on the right hand side one is available which is why Rapido and other continental manufacturers are able to fit them. I understand there are two manufacturers.

If the door is on then left hand side no one manufacturers a screen as the market would not be big enough which is why they are not fitted to UK built vans. AutoSleeper have been trying to find one for some time as they would like to fit one.

From a comment made on the Globecar forum in January 2014, it seems that the Dutch firm “Buscamper” may well make and supply the entrance-door ‘soft close’ system to Globecar/Possl.

It was also mentioned that Buscamper can provide two different door-closure systems. These are demonstraed in the video-clips here

http://www.buscamper.nl/electrische-schuifdeur-softlock

Colin Leake - 2015-02-09 3:34 PM

The answer is simple. If your vehicle has the sliding door on the right hand side one is available which is why Rapido and other continental manufacturers are able to fit them. I understand there are two manufacturers.

If the door is on then left hand side no one manufacturers a screen as the market would not be big enough which is why they are not fitted to UK built vans. AutoSleeper have been trying to find one for some time as they would like to fit one.

Colin - it sounds as though you might be referring to the fitting of a sliding insect screen, rather than the electric soft-lock kit? But, yes, the insect screen is also a valuable asset.

Mike

Derek Uzzell - 2015-02-10 7:34 AM

From a comment made on the Globecar forum in January 2014, it seems that the Dutch firm “Buscamper” may well make and supply the entrance-door ‘soft close’ system to Globecar/Possl.

It was also mentioned that Buscamper can provide two different door-closure systems. These are demonstraed in the video-clips here

http://www.buscamper.nl/electrische-schuifdeur-softlock

Yes, I'd been reading the Globecar forum, but I hadn't seen the video of the fully automated electric door operated by remote control. That looks really cool! Wonder if the door can still be used manually in case of malfunction or flat battery - I imagine so?

Thanks for posting the link.

Mike

mikebeaches - 2015-02-10 11:39 AM

That looks really cool! Wonder if the door can still be used manually in case of malfunction or flat battery - I imagine so?

Mike

Thanks to Derek for the link; and I agree that it looks better value in Euros. I'm getting close to going for it! It's a pity that the "soft-close" is only available to Globcar/Posl, but the "electric open/close" will make a big difference I think. My only reservation concerns the drain on the vehicle battery, but as long as we keep moving every few days I guess it should be ok.

If we can arrange to have it fitted on the out leg of our trip to Sweden in May it will be perfect; will keep you posted,

regards

alan b

• 9 months later...
snowie - 2015-02-10 1:35 PM

mikebeaches - 2015-02-10 11:39 AM

That looks really cool! Wonder if the door can still be used manually in case of malfunction or flat battery - I imagine so?

Mike

Thanks to Derek for the link; and I agree that it looks better value in Euros. I'm getting close to going for it! It's a pity that the "soft-close" is only available to Globcar/Posl, but the "electric open/close" will make a big difference I think. My only reservation concerns the drain on the vehicle battery, but as long as we keep moving every few days I guess it should be ok.

If we can arrange to have it fitted on the out leg of our trip to Sweden in May it will be perfect; will keep you posted,

regards

alan b

Hi Alan

The subject of opening and closing the pvc sliding door on Sevel vans has popped up again on another thread:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pvc-sliding-door-internal-handle/40087/

Just wondering if you did have the electric fully automatic conversion installed? And if so, how it's worked out?

Mike

I would have thought that if the 'demand is there' then it's only a matter of time before the 'soft close' system becomes widely available, and from what I have heard (usually late at night or very early in the morning unfortunately) then the 'Need' is definitely there, I know that I try to avoid being 'Sliding door side' of any PVC that I have to Camp next to.

The Feature will be a 'must have' on any PVC that I might 'downsize' to. no 'ifs' or 'buts' and not sure that a Globecar is what we are looking for, don't like the position of the shower, right in the middle of the aisle..... potty. Come on 'aftermarket makers' start pushing the price down.

Rayjsj - 2015-11-17 12:19 PM

and not sure that a Globecar is what we are looking for, don't like the position of the shower, right in the middle of the aisle.....

...though of course, not all of them have that arrangement. There's even a (new) XLWB version that doesn't - the GLOBESTAR 640 D.

http://www.globecar.de/

(I can't say I'm as enthusiastic about the aisle shower arrangement as Colin is - IMO only a little more thought would have made it much more usable, but it *does* work, and the layout has certain other advantages).

I would have thought that if the 'demand is there' then it's only a matter of time before the 'soft close' system becomes widely available, and from what I have heard (usually late at night or very early in the morning unfortunately) then the 'Need' is definitely there, I know that I try to avoid being 'Sliding door side' of any PVC that I have to Camp next to.

The Feature will be a 'must have' on any PVC that I might 'downsize' to. no 'ifs' or 'buts' and not sure that a Globecar is what we are looking for, don't like the position of the shower, right in the middle of the aisle..... potty. Come on 'aftermarket makers' start pushing the price down.

That pretty much sums up my thinking. We are downsizing to a 6m PVC and thought it would need to be a Globecar, in order to have a soft-close door. We looked at the relatively new Roadstar 600L, with fixed twin beds - but in the end decided the layout just wouldn't quite work for us.

So we've now plumped for the new Rapido Dreamer D58, which also has fixed twin beds and which we've got on order for late spring delivery. But no soft-close door, unfortunately. For the moment, we'll have to suck it and see how things work out.

I have just bought a Globecar 2014 registered model, which means it is actually a late 2013 manufactured one and does not have the soft lock door. So, I guess it applies to 2014 models registered in the 2nd half of the year. However, discussion with the supplying dealer and feedback from Possl/Globecar owners suggest that having one is not that desirable as it is very prone to problems and the result can be either the self locking will not work or the doors will not open.

The following link may provide more information. As for the slamming issue we will use the cab doors if we enter/leave after nightfall to be courteous to others.

http://globecar.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=523

Re: Retro-fit..

Has anybody explored the likes of minibus and taxi convertors etc?

We were in a Scudo (I think it was?) taxi a few weeks back and that had an electric door..

(there seem to be a few electric closure mechanisms on youtube but again, they all seem to be for UK offside).

But still, it may be another route worth exploring?

Robinhood - 2015-11-17 12:53 PM

and not sure that a Globecar is what we are looking for, don't like the position of the shower, right in the middle of the aisle.....

...though of course, not all of them have that arrangement. There's even a (new) XLWB version that doesn't - the GLOBESTAR 640 D.

http://www.globecar.de/

(I can't say I'm as enthusiastic about the aisle shower arrangement as Colin is - IMO only a little more thought would have made it much more usable, but it *does* work, and the layout has certain other advantages).

I've never said the shower in the middle is perfect, but IMO in the confines of a PVC it makes excellent use of space, and IMO apart from blocking the fridge and drawers when in use, and a slightly difficult deployment of rolled door, it knocks spots off most fixed shower rooms normaly found in this size of van. We (like I believe you) have the mark3 version of shower, compared to the (at the time) Adria fixed shower room and the 'new' Hymer with fixed shower room which also has 'twin' beds and front dinette I'd still choose ours, but I can understand those who are a bit skeptic about it, I was when we ordered our van, it was only on first use compared to using a WildAx Aurora that I sighed in relief at getting it right. I could go on more about what I like about it, but that's enough sermonsing from me for today :D

Bulletguy - 2015-11-17 10:59 PM

I had to go on YouTube to see what all the fuss is about. "Soft closing" doors.....on a van??? 1500 quid???

Sorry but i just don't 'get' this at all.

Why not just close it properly and have done with?

I'll not be buying one anytime soon for our van at that price, but I can understand why some might want to.

I notice that, on French and German motorhome forums, there are some fairly recent discussions about the SoftLock system about retro-fitting it to Globecar/Possl models that don’t have it, and about problems with the system itself.

It would seem that the only company offering SoftLock retro-fitting (on 2007-onwards Globecar/Possl models) continues to be Buscamper in Holland at an advertised cost of €1485. It is suggested on forums that the reason for the high cost is largely because retro-fitting involves needing to remove/replace/modify the furniture in the vehicle’s habitation-area.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-11-18 8:33 AM

It would seem that the only company offering SoftLock retro-fitting (on 2007-onwards Globecar/Possl models) continues to be Buscamper in Holland at an advertised cost of €1485.

...though Buscamper's Technical Director told me that they were not allowed to retro-fit until they had made repeated appeals to Pössl on the grounds that they were allowing (some) German dealers to do the same. It apparently took some time before they relented.

Archived