Duff Speedometer on Peugeot Boxer 2004

Elijay

It is previously owned, has low mileage and the vehicle is around 5 years old.

For a while I noticed the speedo needle behaving erratically, then it stopped working altogether. The LCD odometer doesn't work.

I believe that this sort of thing should last the life of the vehicle and I was thinking of approaching Peugeot.

Strangely enough the MOT test doesn't require the speedo to be in working order.

Its not that rare a problem and is fairly simple and cheap to fix. The most likely cause is the pulse generator on the gearbox has failed. Its mounted on top of the diff on the drivers side output shaft. Access is easiest from behind the passengers side front wheel. Pull out the rubber bung then undo the 6mm (10mm hex head) bolt retaining the pulse generator. Fitting the new one is a direct reversal of this process.

D.

Hiya,

Yes its true the speedo does not have to work for the mot, my speedo stopped working, and at the mot I explained I wanted it fixing, they said that they could book me in the week after so I mentioned about the mot , the reply was don't worry about the mot it does not have to work. They fixed it the week after £160, I have been told its common problem on peugeot, mine is a 2003

The UK's MOT test targets various 'safety related' items, and dashboard instruments are not covered. Although inspecting the condition (or presence) of a vehicle's speedometer is not part of the MOT test, a correctly functioning speedometer that can provide speed-readings in mph or km/h and that is readable by the driver in day or night conditions remains a legal requirement.

There are lots of apparent oddities regarding the scope of the MOT test, but that's just due to the manner in which the test has evolved over the years. For more detail see:

http://www.motester.co.uk/

Just going slightly off thread,is this some sort of " design fault".. on the speedo both M/Hs I have owned the speedo's have never worked properley they have both read 5 MPH under.

My speedo is reading lets say 60 MPH, but the sat nav screen reads 55MPH still it does mean I don't get tickets for speeding..just get em for loitering with intent!! (lol) (lol)

Medal.jpg.bdc197c9d066f9bb2fb3c0b59fa18a2b.jpg

The design of campervans - motorhomes don't really lend themselves to speeding so staying within the speed limit without a working speedometer isn't that hard. The sat nav advises along with rev counter and engine noise.

Besides that speeding means higher fuel consumption and at over £1 Litre who can afford to use more than necessary?

Thanks for the advice about getting it sorted. Is it relatively easy and could I possibly do it myself?

Guest Tracker
If relying on a sat nav as a speedo do be aware that it is reactive and as such only shows the speed that you were doing a couple of seconds ago and this can be very relevant as you pass a magic money box - sorry, speed camera - sorry, safety camera!

There was a programme on TV about this very subject the other night. I think the programme is called Watchdog and the presenter is Anne Robinson. Sian Williams, the presenter from BBC, was driving a car with the speedo covered as an experiment and it was made very plain that it is totally illegal to do so. I am sure this came about because of the many complaints of car owners whose speedos had stopped working and I am fairly sure that the cars were Peugeots (I am sorry but I was not listening intently enough). Many owners on the programme had paid up to £700 for the repair but the car firm (Peugeot?) had now agreed to charge everyone £100 (many thought it should be free anyway) and to refund the difference to those who had paid more. It might be worth checking for this programme on the internet to see if my memory had served me correctly.

I think you'll find the Watchdog piece actually was regarding Renault scenics.

I've had my 2000 Boxer based MH for 2 years with no problems - however i have experienced similiar problems with a LR Freelander and before that a Ford granada in the past - in the case of the Freelander despite severals attempts it never was cured (crap quality circuit board & sensors).

The problem can be the engine / gearbox connections sensors - but quite often it's simply a dry solder joint in the circuit board of the instrument panel.

Find a REALLY good Auto Electrician - they should be able to trace & cure it without spending out on expensive parts.

davenewell@home - 2009-10-09 7:25 AM

Its not that rare a problem and is fairly simple and cheap to fix. The most likely cause is the pulse generator on the gearbox has failed. Its mounted on top of the diff on the drivers side output shaft. Access is easiest from behind the passengers side front wheel. Pull out the rubber bung then undo the 6mm (10mm hex head) bolt retaining the pulse generator. Fitting the new one is a direct reversal of this process.

D.

As I said earlier, its not an unknown problem and the most likely cause is the pulse generator on the gearbox. 10 minute job and that includes jacking the vehicle up and placing axle stands etc.

D.

Archived