Dunkirk port overnight parking

trickydicky

starvin marvin - 2015-06-22 1:17 PM

StuartO - 2015-06-22 12:54 PM

Just driven to the Port and to Gravellines, absolutely no sign of migrants or migrant activity, despite a stream of lorries checking in.

Would you go to Dunkirk unless you really had to?

It's only 30 minutes by road so is not that far away compared with the distances these people have already travelled. I've seen loads of them at Dunkirk in the past walking along the dock access road. I have always found security far more stringent at Dunkirk so perhaps word has got around. Dunkirk would now be my port of choice given the debacle in Calais.

Stayed at Dunkirk loads of times ,either coming in on evening boat ,our coming back on early boat ,never had any trouble ,never seen any problems .

If you are staying prior to coming back nice restaurant,on way in you can see from road ,red colour

starvin marvin - 2015-06-22 1:17 PM

StuartO - 2015-06-22 12:54 PM

Just driven to the Port and to Gravellines, absolutely no sign of migrants or migrant activity, despite a stream of lorries checking in.

Would you go to Dunkirk unless you really had to?

Not sure that I actually went to Dunkirk (i.e. the Town) because we aimed for the Auchan site, which is out of Town on the West side, likewise Gravelines (a pretty harbour village with Aires) and the Car ferry is on the West side too -but Calais never grabbed me as an attractive town anyway, and that's not why I go to either.

Dunkirk definitely a chunk of miles further , from the South, as we were coming, but the freedom (for now) from migants and the very handy, free and seemingly safe overnight parking at the Ferry Terminal, which suited the timing of our crossing, made it a better bet this time. And as if happens Calais closed to ferries today because of a French strike, so we missed all that too.

Dunkirk Ferry Port is a bit of an out-in-the-wilds dump but it does the job and I've slept in worse places than its car park in the MH. The Terminal Building looks ggod from the outside but insde its very basic - just a service window for tickets and a vending machine for refreshments - and the toilets need a refit, although at least there are toilets. There are free showers too, for which I suppose we should be grateful, but they would have been a challenge to use for us yesterday because someone had stolen the shower rose fittings.

Not sure whether it was a fluke or an accident of timing but the Dunkirk crossing was much cheaper than our outbound P&O crossing to Calais, £68 compared with £118 (two plus MH plus trailer plus dog) and the ship ("Dover Seaways") was very nice too - better overall than P&O's in fact.. Modern, clean, even the toilets, and the food was slightly cheaper as well.

All I want of a French Channel Port is somewhere to pass through easily, maybe have a sleep for a few hours and maybe do some shopping en route home. Dunkirk serves this purpose and it's only half an hour or so extra driving. And of course half an hour less if you are holidaying to the East.

We now tend to use Dunkirk all the time as if late crossing can stay in terminal car park, or if more time then stay on aire at Gravelines which is worth a couple of days as nice little town. Regarding visiting Dunkirk itself then have done this by taking bus from Gravelines. It is a nice city with large squares, good museums, restaurants and shops.

Guest adhple

Use the Air at Gravellines the payment machines is still not working (5years) now! You won’t see any migrant problem as the Albanians control the area and won’t put up with the migrants easy access to ports at Calais 10 miles and a mile from Dunkirk Port.

The only migrants you will see are the ducks which will visit asking for food!

Archived