Dutch Campsites

noble1

We are travelling abroad for the first time in our motorhome, we are travelling to Holland ,

Will I need to do anything to my motorhome headlights on a 2015 Ford Chausson

and will my electric plug fit their power outlet ?

Thanks

As above either beam benders (if they fit) or stickers to blank kick up.

On our last trip standard EHU on every site until we got back to France where we needed 2 pin adaptor.

Biggest problem we had was credit/debit cards, no sites would take master card credit card couple took visa debit card, but then most sites we went to rarely saw UK vans, forewarned we took a lot of Euros.

P.s. I don't think any shops took our cards either, we have long range tanks so only had to find one filling station that was manned and it took card.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just realised that having been to Holland and beyond on several occasions I have never fitted beam deflectors. Also I have never driven at night while on holiday as I usually start drinking by about 3 in the afternoon. The money saved on beam deflectors can be spent on wine.

alanedwin - 2018-09-04 9:37 PM

I've just realised that having been to Holland and beyond on several occasions I have never fitted beam deflectors. Also I have never driven at night while on holiday as I usually start drinking by about 3 in the afternoon. The money saved on beam deflectors can be spent on wine.

Problem is...........all’s well until or unless you experience a continental thunderstorm when day turns into night, and also any prolonged tunnels where lights are mandatory. I must confess I’ve winged it in the past, but on this current trip, France and Spain, I fitted beam benders.

Holland a wonderful place but bikes needed to take full advantage. For such a small country with a large population, you can get away from it all on bikes in the countryside on the great cycle track system well signposted and mapped.

Yes its great,i have been many times and used a bike,i am going next week,first stop Noordwijk ann Zee for six days then over to Oosterbeek/Arnhem to see the commemorations,then will stay with some friends who live a few miles away before returning home,already booked the sites months ago.

Mike88 - 2018-09-05 9:16 PM

Judging by the thousands of Dutch motorhomers and caravanners that occupy sites in the rest of Europe I have assumed campsites and locations in Holland are not very good.

I think it's more a case of there being large numbers of Dutch motorhomers, they have lots of large high spec campsites which are full of the dutch themselves and lots of germans, we only saw a couple of british vans.

Judging by the thousands of Dutch motorhomers and caravanners that occupy sites in the rest of Europe I have assumed campsites and locations in Holland are not very good.

I think your tongue may be firmly shoved into your cheek Mike?

Looking back to Sept last year we had just set out on a trip intended to be 4 weeks, a tour around Holland then down to St Malo and home.

We came home after 11 days of rain and a bad back.

When the sun was out sites and sights were fine, but we aborted early.

I think Dutch campers head for the sun, and I don’t blame them.

We’ll go back; probably, but sunshine will be a priority.

Regards, Snowie

Looking back to Sept last year we had just set out on a trip intended to be 4 weeks, a tour around Holland then down to St Malo and home.

Regards, Snowie

snowie - 2018-09-05 11:07 PM

Regards, Snowie

It was. But it is incredible how many Dutch people inhabit campsites in France and Spain especially but all seem to disappear at the same time around mid November which one camper told me (possibly also tongue in cheek) is something to do with their Benefits system.

Judging by the thousands of Dutch motorhomers and caravanners that occupy sites in the rest of Europe I have assumed campsites and locations in Holland are not very good.[/quote

It was. But it is incredible how many Dutch people inhabit campsites in France and Spain especially but all seem to disappear at the same time around mid November which one camper told me (possibly also tongue in cheek) is something to do with their Benefits system.

Could be, or maybe health system? Meds and checkups: I heard something along those lines. Maybe they book appointments for the cooler months?

Snowie

A further thought on Dutch campsites. Many of them do not include hot water for showers strangely enough in the tariff. So you’ll need to keep a stock of 50c.pieces, or maybe 20c. (I can’t remember).

Just your luck to fancy a shower when reception’s closed and you’ve no change.

Just consulted Mrs.B. and in general we were a bit ambivalent about the sites we stayed on. They ranged from good to adequate. They are very hardy people and seem not to mind draughty ablutions blocks.

Maybe we’ve become soft and used to our own domestic sites.

Put some cash in your sponge bags. Nothing worse than trudging to the showers, getting your kit off and realising your money’s in the van! Got the T-shirt.

Majority of sites we stayed on where ACSI and they have to include at least one free shower per person per day, a few had 'free' showers, most had either token or card system, a couple of sites we stayed on where 'mini camping' despite stories I heard of them being poor the ones we used where very good with free good quality showers/toilets, all the ACSI sites had good quality showers/toilets. Maybe we just lucked out?

Further to my earlier post, it’s also largely hit and miss whether toilet paper is provided. On one site, a very nice one and one on which we elected to stay extra nights, the communal dispenser was on a wall outside the cubicles. You had to gather a fistful prior to entering. I mean, how does one judge the correct amount per session?

Y’all don’t need to answer that!

blaven - 2018-09-07 2:33 PM

Further to my earlier post, it’s also largely hit and miss whether toilet paper is provided.

That applies in many countries ACSI usually say in the book , if it is supplier. I always carry tissue , just in case

PJay

Archived