E Mag

Guest T.Smith

Guest T.Smith
My local Fiat garage (in France)was intrigued by the UK purchased, 'E mag' magnet I have clipped over the fuel pipe. (between the fuel pump and the engine inlet, which I hope is the right place!) It raised a Gallic eyebrow or two in the workshop. Apparently, in the garageland of Descartes, this object is not highly considered. Strange, because there are magnetisers galore advertising in the local free papers who guarantee burn relief and 'problemes de coeur' by the same magic process. Does it work?

Guest Deek Uzzell
Many people swear by copper or magnetic bracelets, while homeopathy seems to have inexplicable but genuinely beneficial effects. I can't see why the E-mag device should work, but I used to be able to do water-dowsing with a hazel-twig and I had no idea why or how that worked either. (In fact most people can do dowsing of this sort once they are shown how.) I'm pretty sure E-mag has come up previously on the forum when it was pointed out that, if simple, cheap 'non invasive' magnetic devices like these produced genuine fuel-consumption improvements, all vehicles would have them as standard. One thing's sure, even if E-mag does no good, the only thing harmed will have been your wallet.

Guest T Smith
It cost me over a £100 with postage! And there I was, quite proud of the fact that up to now I've never followed gurus, done the pools, read my horoscope, bought a record by Cliff Richard, seen an episode of 'Dallas', or 'Big Brother' (french version) or any other of the things that people are likely to do at a weak moment. That'll teach me to read the small ads in motorhome mags with a credit card at hand!

But then it takes a BIG man to admit in public that he's been well and truly "had". Do you remember the one about putting mothballs in petrol?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Mothballs in Petrol? The legend relating to this method of 'improving' petrol arose well before WWII when naphthalene was used as the active ingredient in mothballs. Naphthalene has a number of exciting properties (it's the "na" part of "napalm") and one of its abilities is to increase the motor octane number of gasoline by blending. Hence the addition of a significant amount of mothballs could indeed increase petrol's octane, and mothballs were actually soluble in gasoline. In practice, the amount usually required to appreciably increase the octane also had adverse effects, the most obvious being due to naphthalene's high melting point: when the fuel evaporated the naphthalene would precipitate out, blocking jets and filters. With modern gasoline fuels, naphthalene is more likely to reduce the octane rating, and the amount required for low octane fuels will also create operational and emissions problems. So now you know - there's no point in putting MOTHO in your petrol tank.

Guest David Powell
I have used Emag for many years, I was conviced it was THE thing to fit at the Shepton Mallet show by my nieghbouring motor home owner, who ran a fleet of taxis and swore that the Emag was the best invention since sliced bread, and more or less did everything claimed. SO! I fitted one several years ago. As I live in Wales, I pretty much have to use all available power to propel my petrol driven'white box' up the mountains. My conclusions regarding Emag are:- noticeably more power, and at engine oil changes the oil appears to be as clean when drained as it was when poured in new, and the tail pipe is a nice pale grey, which all ads up basically to a good clean burn, thus a cleaner engine, and better performance.It did not happen over night it took a couple of thousand miles or so, but it works...As for improved M.P.G. My years of record keeping show no improvement...but to be fair that may well have been swollowed up by me using the extra power produced. Regarding diesel, a friend of mine had a slight smoking problem that no ones knowledge nor good advise could cure, so he fitted Emag, started up the engine and after about 20 minutes the smoking ceased and never returned. So these fuel conditioning magnetic gadgets seem to do some good, some of the time.

Archived