EGR valve Peugot Boxer.

auntyjanet1

Has anyone had an EGR valve cleaned or replaced on a 2.2 Boxer base . Is it worth cleaning or should i replace instead. the engine managment light first came on back in April ,van would start in short bursts and would not pull away because of lack of power,also fuel gauge would dive to zero ,after switching off and trying to start again it would pull off only for the lack of power and needle diving to zero again.Van was towed by AA to a dealer who checked all ,and advised ECU needed replacing (£1,300) but engine now running ok ,was advised to try it out and see what happens ,2300 miles later problem has reoccurred ,lack of power fuel gauge on zero etc.

have had van hooked up to computer(different dealer) who came up with EGR valve actuator stuck closed. also on his computer my engine came up as Visteon .

Any ideas what the best course of action would be

Thanks

Hello,

We do not run any of the 2.2 engined X250 vehicles. They have a jointly developed Peugeot and Ford engine, while the 2.3 and 3.0 engines are made by Fiat. I do not know how often Peugeot's have issues with EGR valves but we have seen a number of Transits that have needed new valves so it must be fairly common.

I don't think that is your problem though.

The fuel guage is the clue and along with that you said there had been suspicion about the ECU at one point so I will go out on a limb and suggest that this is an earth problem. On our 2.3 Fiats we have had several different symptoms (non starting, engine revs rising, strange readings on dash, blown fuses and ECU errors) that have all been cured by either a cleaning or replacement of the earth strap that goes between the chassis and the gearbox.

You should definitely get this ruled out first.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
auntyjanet1 - 2011-11-03 3:21 PM

Hi

Yes thanks Nick off 9am tomorrow to get earthing strap sorted out ,hope it works supply and fit EGR is about £200

Derek thanks for the link,

Have had van back from repairers all earthing straps checked and found OK ,new EGR valve fitted and oil switch. £210 for parts without labour !

But the mostr disturbing thing was the ECU was checked out for codes etc and one piece of disturbing info was that the milage according to the ECU was 29,000 miles but recorded milage is 18,000 i bought the van in June 09 when milage was 6,000 and i have done 12,000.

So we came to the conclusion that the ECU had been changed before i purchased it ,and that a second hand unit had been fitted.

I have contacted the dealer that i purchased it from and he doesn,t want to know as the van is now out of warranty.

I told him i would be writing him a letter to confirm that i would claim under the( SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979) that he had sold me faulty goods .

I would be grateful for any ideas or advice on how to proceed further

As there are a number of scenarios that might apply, I would advise you progress with care.

The ECU may well have been replaced with a second-hand or refurbished one (but I'd expect this to have been reset unless it came from a scrappy). If this is so, then I suspect you will have little comeback, as it may simply have been a cost-effective means of repairing a fault.

It may, however, be that your vehicle has been "clocked", in which case the question of warranty becomes of no interest. I have no idea whether your vehicle has an electronic odometer, or the old dial type, but I think it would be worthwhile asking your fixing Peugeot dealer whether the odometer mileage is normally independent of the particular ECU reading (it appears to be so in your case). It would also be useful to get them to put in writing to you the nature of their original findings.

Without jumping to conclusions, and in a (relatively) calm manner I would ask the selling dealership to explain the discrepancy between the odo mileage and the ECU mileage. Use a recorded/signed for delivered letter enclosing a copy of the diagnosis above, asking for a response within, say, 14 days. If you get no (or no acceptable) response, follow up with a reminder and a statement that, as you have concerns that the vehicle may have been "clocked" (don't mention that in the first letter) if there is no response within, say, a further 7 days you will raise it with the local Trading Standards.

If you still get no acceptable response, then do just that.

(It will be worthwhile ascertaining what was said, in either the large or small print) as to the veracity of the mileage when you bought it. If you signed up to a waiver or disclaimer, it will be worthwhile taking advice from your own local Trading Standards as to whether this is valid or not. If they'll talk to you in advance, a quick visit may well be useful, but I think you shoud give the dealer a fair chance to respond).

Cliff,

Sorry to hear your tale of woe, but did your MH come with a service history?

If so what is documented and is there any possiblility it has been altered to 'lose' the excess mileage?

You may be able to ask a dealer for confirmation of service details if any have stamped the book.

Also it may be worth asking DVLA if a mileage has been recorded at any point in the vehicles life as you have an option to enter a figure when registering a change of keeper.

HTH,

Keith.

auntyjanet1 - 2011-11-15 1:23 PM

auntyjanet1 - 2011-11-03 3:21 PM

Hi

Yes thanks Nick off 9am tomorrow to get earthing strap sorted out ,hope it works supply and fit EGR is about £200

Derek thanks for the link,

Have had van back from repairers all earthing straps checked and found OK ,new EGR valve fitted and oil switch. £210 for parts without labour !

But the mostr disturbing thing was the ECU was checked out for codes etc and one piece of disturbing info was that the milage according to the ECU was 29,000 miles but recorded milage is 18,000 i bought the van in June 09 when milage was 6,000 and i have done 12,000.

So we came to the conclusion that the ECU had been changed before i purchased it ,and that a second hand unit had been fitted.

I have contacted the dealer that i purchased it from and he doesn,t want to know as the van is now out of warranty.

I told him i would be writing him a letter to confirm that i would claim under the( SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979) that he had sold me faulty goods .

I would be grateful for any ideas or advice on how to proceed further

Cliff.

Hold your horses!

I think that the recorded distance on the ECU may well be in Kilometres!

18,000 X 1.6 = 28,800

There may well be nothing sinister going on at all.

Nick

euroserv - 2011-11-15 3:49 PM

Hold your horses!

18,000 X 1.6 = 28,800

Nick

.....that makes quite a lot of sense.

Though it is possible that the odo reading (if electronic) is fed from somewhere else, I'd have expected it to be from the same point, hence my question above.

:-S

Cliff.

Hold your horses!

18,000 X 1.6 = 28,800

Nick

Cliff,

Do you have an option in the menu to change the odo reading from miles to kilometers?

That would then prove Nick's theory, which I must say I have to agree with.

Keith.

Robinhood - 2011-11-15 3:59 PM

Hold your horses!

18,000 X 1.6 = 28,800

Nick

.....that makes quite a lot of sense.

Though it is possible that the odo reading (if electronic) is fed from somewhere else, I'd have expected it to be from the same point, hence my question above.

Thanks to everyone who has posted , especially Nick, horses back in stable , could have got nasty!

actual milage is 18291*1.6= 29291 klm. so that makes sense

thanks again

:-S

Wow! I had an Elddis 120, Peugeot base vehicle, 2008 registration. Had the 24,000 mile service before it had completed the mileage but was at the 2 year point. Travelled to France and in the middle of nowhere red oil warning light came on! Next morning tried again and in addition to the red oil warning light flashing the green spanner light was on (Just over 24,000 miles completed) . Took van to a Peugeot garage explained my dilemma he advised change of oil, check and he would readjust the computer. All done at a cost of aproximately £180.00 and I completed my holiday in Europe. Returned to garage at home in UK and challenged need for me to get 2nd service in France (I considered it unreasonable for garage to expect me to travel for a further 2 or 3,000 miles with a red oil light flashing!) Didnt get any sympathy from garage, wrote to Peugeot UK, garage called me in to do a computer diagnostic check of the van and hey presto! and I quote:

Warning Light on PPS tested

Engine ECU Fault PO401 EGR Fault. Carried Out

Software & Earth Checks As per I/F B1JWOHQo

Advise Replacement of EGR Valve. Fitted New EGR

Valve, Cleared Faults & Initialised ECU

Peugeot have contributed 40% Parts & Labour

& Initialised ECU

Cost to me, a further £209.77!!!!!!!

Prior to the 2nd service in France my radio would not play properly, constant crackling and disruption and cds overheated and cut off. (This was my second radio, the 1st radio had the same symptoms and the garage replaced the radio!). Since the service in France - radio and cds played perfectly - I suspect an earth problem was resolved. Makes you wonder who you can trust.

Whilst I was waiting in the garage waiting room I did overhear one of the 'engineers' state to the manager that they had had several egr valves replaced under warranty (of course my van was just outside the warranty period).

Don't know whether this helps at all but it has allowed me to get an uncomfortable saga out of my head!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Kind of has you understanding the bloke on here who said he's had the best nights sleep since selling his motor-home, and will never buy another one. I really do think we have gone backwards not forwards with all this ECU crap and modern vehicle design when it comes to electrical systems.

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-19 1:17 PM

Kind of has you understanding the bloke on here who said he's had the best nights sleep since selling his motor-home, and will never buy another one. I really do think we have gone backwards not forwards with all this ECU crap and modern vehicle design when it comes to electrical systems.

yeah but is this just yet another sevel base problem,

or can we all expect it regardless of what base vehicle you have

dawki - 2011-11-19 3:54 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-19 1:17 PM

yeah but is this just yet another sevel base problem,

or can we all expect it regardless of what base vehicle you have

Pretty much, yes.

Sorry.

Nick

Archived