EHIC card and Brexit

Bulletguy

This isn't for Chatterbox as it is an important issue and relevant to all mh'ers who enjoy touring in Europe. It's looking very likely the EHIC card is going to be completely lost if Brexit goes ahead so people will see travel insurance costs rise significantly.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-health-medical-treatment-ehic-theresa-may-best-for-britain-a8603286.html

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

Obviously our resident Panic Bosun didn't read this bit ;-) ..........

But they have now announced a fast-track bill they say will “provide the powers that are needed” to replicate the benefits – as part of stepping up preparations for crashing out of the EU without a deal.

Looks to me like that have everything in hand B-) ............

I'm in the it'll all be alright on the night camp. Mrs May just has to say we'll do to you, what you do to us. 27 countries have a bigger population and more to lose than us by imposing draconian new "laws". health insurance, pet passports etc are small beer compared to needing to extend the channel tunnel if we're moving further away from yourop. Who will pay for the tunneling and building work and where will the labour come from?

ColinM50 - 2018-10-29 9:10 AM

I'm in the it'll all be alright on the night camp. Mrs May just has to say we'll do to you, what you do to us. 27 countries have a bigger population and more to lose than us by imposing draconian new "laws". health insurance, pet passports etc are small beer compared to needing to extend the channel tunnel if we're moving further away from yourop. Who will pay for the tunneling and building work and where will the labour come from?

The EU are not " imposing new laws "

We are currently part of an EU wide system on health care for travellers, pet passports etc - but the UK voting public have decided we should drop out.

:-|

It’s possible to renew an EHIC card up to six months before the card’s expiry date (though any time left on the ‘old’ card won’t be added to the new card).

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

The renewal procedure is relatively straightforward and free, so if you have an EHIC card that expires soon, you might want to consider renewing it now, just in case this might be beneficial. Even if the EHIC scheme dies as a result of Brexit, what have you got to lose by having a card that has a full 5-year lifespan.

There are a large number of EU citizens resident in UK who currently benefit from access to NHS facilities, including a lot of French people - enough, for example, to cause Macron to want to think twice before imposing puitive measures on UK tourists.  I think there will be substitute reciprocal arrangements established fairly quickly.  Nor will travel insurance companies automatically apply much higher rates because the risks and costs (compared with travelling to North America for example) are not that big in Europe anyway. 

No need to panic.

Solwaybuggier - 2018-10-29 7:37 AM

Horrendous prospect - how long though before usual suspects tell us it’s all Project Fear?

That seems to be exactly what it is, not that that's any surprise coming from the Independent. Whatever slant the article tries to put on it, the only facts reported are that the Government want to keep it but are making provision for an alternative should that not be possible. That seems eminently sensible.

It's interesting how Brexiteers are still ignoring obvious calamities like ehic and pet passports.

There's a well known condition known as "cognitive dissonance"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/how-risky-is-it-really/201007/why-changing-somebody-s-mind-or-yours-is-hard-do

Which basically means that when someone has made up their mind, even overwhelming evidence that they were mistaken doesn't change their views. It actually hardens them. They seek any crumb of evidence to support themselves, and dismiss any solid evidence as "fake news" from "experts".

42% of the electorate still believe the "£350 million to the NHS" slogan, when even that arch liar Nigel Farage disowned it as untrue.

To speculate that the EU, or any WTO country, will broker a better deal for us than we have now is pure fantasy. The penny is finally dropping and even Liam Fox (brexit will be the easiest deal ever done) is now realising that we have made the biggest self inflicted disaster in modern times.

The simple fact is that it is not decided, so no-one can say with certainty whether it will be retained or not, or whether a similar reciprocal scheme can be put in its place.

If you value the EHIC and it goes, and your travel insurance premiums do increase as a result (which must be a possibility, as a number of (most/all?) travel insurers a) restrict the cover to travel within the EU area and b) require the insured to carry their EHIC), it will be one of the Brexit risks you voted to accept, in which case you will presumably be jubilant. If it is maintained, I assume all will be jubilant, whether or not they voted Brexit. The only way to remove the risk to the EHIC is to exit from Brexit.

The outcome will not be in the slightest influenced by whatever beliefs an individual clings to. Uncertainty is implicit in Brexit. Enjoy the ride! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-29 12:52 PM

The simple fact is that it is not decided, so no-one can say with certainty whether it will be retained or not, or whether a similar reciprocal scheme can be put in its place.

If you value the EHIC and it goes, and your travel insurance premiums do increase as a result (which must be a possibility, as a number of (most/all?) travel insurers a) restrict the cover to travel within the EU area and b) require the insured to carry their EHIC), it will be one of the Brexit risks you voted to accept, in which case you will presumably be jubilant. If it is maintained, I assume all will be jubilant, whether or not they voted Brexit. The only way to remove the risk to the EHIC is to exit from Brexit.

The outcome will not be in the slightest influenced by whatever beliefs an individual clings to. Uncertainty is implicit in Brexit. Enjoy the ride! :-D

Of course the EU will do everything in its power to put us Brits off from travelling to the EU wont they Brian???? *-) ..........

If they do........ then there's 169 other countries that I suspect will be more than happy to accept our filthy pounds >:-) ......

Derek Uzzell - 2018-10-29 9:32 AM

It’s possible to renew an EHIC card up to six months before the card’s expiry date (though any time left on the ‘old’ card won’t be added to the new card).

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

The renewal procedure is relatively straightforward and free, so if you have an EHIC card that expires soon, you might want to consider renewing it now, just in case this might be beneficial. Even if the EHIC scheme dies as a result of Brexit, what have you got to lose by having a card that has a full 5-year lifespan.

I admire your optimism Derek but somehow i can't see how that would 'work'. You opt to cancel your membership fee from a club...but expect the club to continue providing facilities for free to you which other countries as members are paying into? Should Brexit go ahead and UK does sever EU ties, then i'd expect the remaining 'members' to rightly withdraw access to any agreement. After all, the EHIC wasn't a contractural arrangement but just one of many benefits of being a club member

And for those who imagine the government will 'cover the EHIC' with some kind of super special bill is naive to say the least. The NHS is already facing massive financial pressure from draconian cutbacks, not to mention loss of EU staff, so unless government plan to inject £billions, it's not going to happen. Of course the NHS will soon be asking where that £350m per week is which would go some way to covering the possible loss of EHIC...but i expect the more likely will be hefty increases in travel premiums.

I agree. It's quite strange that anyone actually believed they could 'have their cake and eat it'....but it's since become clear many really did and some still do! As you said, 'if it's maintained, everyone will be jubilant' irrespective of which way they voted, so it does seem most odd we continue down such a self destructive path.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-29 2:22 PM

I agree. It's quite strange that anyone actually believed they could 'have their cake and eat it'....but it's since become clear many really did and some still do! As you said, 'if it's maintained, everyone will be jubilant' irrespective of which way they voted, so it does seem most odd we continue down such a self destructive path.

It's about damn time we had some of that EHIC cake *-) ..........

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-scandal-as-uk-pays-millions-to-eu-10189381

Of course the EU will do everything in its power to put us Brits off from travelling to the EU wont they Brian???? *-) ..........

If they do........ then there's 169 other countries that I suspect will be more than happy to accept our filthy pounds >:-) ......

How does one get to the other 169 Countries in a Motor Home without going through the EU?

Especially when limited to a 2 week holiday.

Guest pelmetman
Andy&Lou - 2018-10-29 3:08 PM

How does one get to the other 169 Countries in a Motor Home without going through the EU?

Especially when limited to a 2 week holiday.

How does anyone visit a none EHIC country? ;-) .........You take out travel insurance :D ........

If you have a Nationwide Flex account its free for 31 days, although we pay to extend our cover for 6 months B-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-10-29 2:01 PM............…………...Of course the EU will do everything in its power to put us Brits off from travelling to the EU wont they Brian???? *-) ..........

See Bill's post just above mine, Dave. Your post is a perfect example. :-D

pelmetman - 2018-10-29 2:41 PM

I hope you read that piece, my cognitively dissonant friend, because, as it explains, the reason for the shortfall is that the UK is not charging what it is entitled to charge, while the other countries are. The estimated shortfall to the UK is around £1bn annually.

So, a) it is not the EU that is causing the shortfall, it is ……………………………

wait for it:

the UK government.

Oh yes, and that piece is from March 2016, and yes it is scandalous how a government that promotes itself as the guardian of sound money could be so lackadaisical. You need to have a sharp word with your new mates, I think, and tell them to start doing what we pay them to do. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-29 4:49 PM

pelmetman - 2018-10-29 2:41 PM

I hope you read that piece, my cognitively dissonant friend, because, as it explains, the reason for the shortfall is that the UK is not charging what it is entitled to charge, while the other countries are. The estimated shortfall to the UK is around £1bn annually.

So, a) it is not the EU that is causing the shortfall, it is ……………………………

wait for it:

the UK government.

Oh yes, and that piece is from March 2016, and yes it is scandalous how a government that promotes itself as the guardian of sound money could be so lackadaisical. You need to have a sharp word with your new mates, I think, and tell them to start doing what we pay them to do. :-D

Correction they are your EU lickspittle subservient mates ;-) ..........

Our establishment is infested with them *-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-29 4:35 PM

pelmetman - 2018-10-29 2:01 PM............…………...Of course the EU will do everything in its power to put us Brits off from travelling to the EU wont they Brian???? *-) ..........

See Bill's post just above mine, Dave. Your post is a perfect example. :-D

I did....... and it just proves you Remoaners are gluten's for psychobabble (lol) (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2018-10-29 5:02 PM...…………..

I did....... and it just proves you Remoaners are gluten's for psychobabble (lol) (lol) (lol)

Ahem: Gluten: "Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like wheat, rye, spelt and barley."

Don't start on that legal document just now Dave, I'll have to give my suggestion some more thought! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-29 5:07 PM

pelmetman - 2018-10-29 5:02 PM...…………..

Ahem: Gluten: "Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like wheat, rye, spelt and barley."

Don't start on that legal document just now Dave, I'll have to give my suggestion some more thought! :-D

Picking up on typo's is a sure sign of losing the argument ;-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Matrix Meanderer - 2018-10-29 5:35 PM

You can renew your EHIC up to six months before it expires.

Just done mine online - easy :-D

By which time we'll know whether we need the EHIC and travel insurance ;-) .........

Or just travel insurance :D ..........

Because folk who just RELY on the EHIC really should read the small print 8-) ..........

Archived