EHIC from 2021

witzend

Dont understand this.

I googled "Under the Withdrawal Agreement, certain people are eligible for a new UK EHIC.

You can apply now for a new UK EHIC if you have a registered S1, E121, E106 or E109 form"

and came up with this.

https://tinyurl.com/y3ssr9st

S1 forms (formerly known as E106, E109, E120, E121)

S1 forms are issued to people who live in one EEA country or Switzerland, but have their healthcare costs covered by another EEA country. People entitled to apply for an S1 include state pensioners and those in receipt of certain benefits, for exmaple survivors’ benefits and certain disability benefits. It also includes people who have been posted to work in another country (once they have lived there for 2 years) and frontier workers (people who commute across a border to get to work). Family members are also covered by the S1 form.

Is this for Brits who are living overseas in mainland Europe?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-11-10 11:43 AM

This link "Apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)” is perhaps more detailed

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

It's the same thing Derek.

As David posted earlier, get to the third question; Are you studying, or do you intend to study in the EU, EEA or Switzerland before 1 January 2021?

If answering honestly your answer being NO. = You are not currently eligible to apply for an EHIC

Bulletguy

I experimented by going further into the on-line application procedure than just the first 3 questions - I was just pointing out that the link I gave had more information on it.

The link I provided advises

"For most people, EHIC may not be valid from 1 January 2021."

which I would have thought most UK-resident forum members would be well aware of.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-11-10 1:36 PM

Bulletguy

I experimented by going further into the on-line application procedure than just the first 3 questions - I was just pointing out that the link I gave had more information on it.

The link I provided advises

"For most people, EHIC may not be valid from 1 January 2021."

which I would have thought most UK-resident forum members would be well aware of.

I was. The EHIC is history now and everyone intending on venturing across the pond in future will need to start looking for a damn good health insurance which will cover every eventuality. Be interesting to see what the costs are but a decent insurance won't come cheap.

This EHIC card is just for UK nationals that have an S1, this means the UK Gov cover their healthcare as they have for example become a resident of France and are of UK pension age or are working in France but still pay their national insurance in the UK for certain reasons.

You can not have one if you are resident of the UK.

If you live and work in France and are a UK citizen then you can get a French EHIC (CEAM)

The old UK EHIC will not be valid after 31/12/2020 as far as we know at the moment.

mildi - 2020-11-10 2:03 PM

This EHIC card is just for UK nationals that have an S1, this means the UK Gov cover their healthcare as they have for example become a resident of France and are of UK pension age or are working in France but still pay their national insurance in the UK for certain reasons.

You can not have one if you are resident of the UK.

If you live and work in France and are a UK citizen then you can get a French EHIC (CEAM)

The old UK EHIC will not be valid after 31/12/2020 as far as we know at the moment.

Thats correct.

I notice that the on-line version of “The Connexion” publlished an article today about this, with a link to the UK application procedure

https://www.connexionfrance.com/index.php/Practical/Health/Britons-in-France-can-now-get-post-Brexit-Ehic-cover

Understandably, the article focuses primarily on British state pensioners living in France.

Although the NHS on-line application procedure is newish, information on those UK people who would continue to be eligible to use their EHIC card after 31 December 2020 was available some months ago. For example, this July 2020 webpage

https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog/expat-tips/973-ehic-will-the-card-still-be-valid-post-brexit.html

• 1 month later...

I assume forum-members are aware of the following

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ghic-card-brexit-ehic-health-insurance-b1779934.html

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

I THINK this matter has been discussed recently on the Chatterbox forum (which should be the right place for it) but I was given an experimental anti-drivel vaccine 30 years ago and my immune system now produces antibodies causing temporary blindness after I’ve read the first posting of any Chatterbox thread.

It would appear (from Dereks second link) that you can apply for the GHIC now. The terminology EHIC ceases on the 4th January 2021.

What the card will look like and level of cover is not clear yet as you need to register or log in to pass the first information page.

Davy

I already have a ‘EHIC’ login account, but my current card is valid until October 2023 (I renewed it ages ago when BREXIT was looming and I thought there was a sporting chance that the card would continue to be valid afterwards) so I’m not in a position to renew my card now or apply for a GHIC.

There’s no great difficulty registering/logging in to the application website, so for anyone who is eligible to renew an expiring EHIC card or apply for the new card, experimentation with the application procedure should be straightforward.

I suspect I am about to test the limits of the scheme in wholly alarming fashion. I took out a travel insurance with medical cover with Surestart because their scheme is advertised as providing ing cover for countries listed as essential travel only. Having duly paid, I was not emailed the documents. They emailed a link, which consistently timed out as a corrupt url.

I had to leave to catch the ferry and a few days later whilst cycling in Valencia I hit a patch of hydraulic oil left on the cycle path and crashed to the ground, shattering my hip. The police managed to find the errant building contractor for the spill but that is another story. This was on the27th December. Much confusion as I was off-loaded from the ambulance. Nobody, but nobody knows what happens next.

I was booked in for surgery on the 29th Dec. Meanwhile a call to surestart was a non-start. By failing to “check” the documents I was not aware that the advertised cover requires a specific opt in that I had not ticked in the small print. Insurance companies eh?

The eve before scheduled surgery a change due to sky- rocketing COVID, no elective surgery for possibly weeks. So, who can answer, what happens now. Looking up the average cost of hip pinning it seems to be in the range 10 to 14k. Weeks in hospital, post surgery physio?? I am girding myself for anything up to 25k. Will I be at least partially covered or reimbursed? No answers anywhere really, so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Bulletguy - 2020-11-10 2:06 PM

mildi - 2020-11-10 2:03 PM.........................................

Thats correct.

I think the above is no longer the case. The second, NHS, link in Derek's 1/1/21 @ 1:47 post above states "You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC. Your EHIC remains valid in the EU until it expires." (My bold).

Derek Uzzell - 2021-01-01 6:25 PM

There’s no great difficulty registering/logging in to the application website, so for anyone who is eligible to renew an expiring EHIC card or apply for the new card, experimentation with the application procedure should be straightforward.

...well, as our EHICs expired in the middle of last year, and with little prospect of Continental travel, I'll put myself forward as a guinea-pig.

Application duly completed, and acknowledgement received, I now await the delivery in the undefined future of what I assume will be a pair of GHICs (or not!).

curdle - 2021-01-01 7:22 PM......................................The eve before scheduled surgery a change due to sky- rocketing COVID, no elective surgery for possibly weeks. ............................

But surely the pinning of a broken hip following an accident is not elective surgery, it is emergency treatment. In your state I do not think your surgery should be delayed. I think you are a medical emergency and should be treated as such. Perhaps ask to speak to someone with higher authority? I hope you get this fixed quickly. Failing sense from the hospital, perhaps see if you can contact the British Embassy in Madrid.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-02 2:52 AM

curdle - 2021-01-01 7:22 PM......................................The eve before scheduled surgery a change due to sky- rocketing COVID, no elective surgery for possibly weeks. ............................

But surely the pinning of an broken hip following an accident is not elective surgery, it is emergency treatment. In your state I do not think your surgery should be delayed. I think you are a medical emergency and should be treated as such. Perhaps ask to speak to someone with higher authority? I hope you get this fixed quickly. Failing sense from the hospital, perhaps see if you can contact the British Embassy in Madrid.

Thanks Brian. I agree and in the beginning they were treating it as such. NICE recommend that Surgery on hip fractures should take place within 48 hours. There seemed to be sea change at some level and now I have been bundled in with those waiting for longer term hip replacements and the like in the interest of “fairness”. Poor wife is camped out in a local site and of course I am in severe pain most of the time. I think your British embassy idea will be worth a try.

I would note that I've technically had a broken hip for nearly two years, the head of femur is cracked. I stupidly carried on as best I could instead of rolling around crying with pain. For this reason it's considered elective surgery.

The latest is it's considered 'urgent', but that means nothing in a CV-19 world.

colin - 2021-01-02 3:20 AM

I would note that I've technically had a broken hip for nearly two years, the head of femur is cracked. I stupidly carried on as best I could instead of rolling around crying with pain. For this reason it's considered elective surgery.

Stiff upper lip duly noted! I will endeavour to tone my cries to snivelling whimpers ??

For the last ten years or so I have been using travel insurance provided as a "no charge" add-on to the cost of having a premium level Visa or MasterCard. The additional cost of the premium card over the standard item is considerably less that the cost of a separate travel insurance policy particularly if you are over 70. Only proviso is you must spend A$250 on your card on travel related purchases. Maybe worth checking if available to UK residents if you need to buy travel insurance. cheers,

Archived