EHU prices.

Gman

Looking through some sites today in North Wales, I saw one site charging £7.21 per day for a 16 amp EHU.

My last power bill at home was £37.99 for the previous month, (£1.26 per day) That's a 3 bed semi, TV on all

day, electric oven, lights on till bed time (12.00 midnight). £7.21X30=£216.30 p.m. A Google check finds 20 family

pitches and 23 adult only pitches. £216.30X43=£9288.00 p.m. that's whithout pitch fees and extras. Sounds a bit

rich to me. I understood you can't resell power at a profit.

Steve.

It was inevitable really that prices would jump and especially on sites with EHU. The cost of everything, not just energy has spiralled so therefore so will all the overheads of campsites. There is a simple solution especially this time of year. Fit solar and avoid them. Been away on a five month UK tour for six weeks now and started off in the south West exclusively choosing remote CL sites that are basic off grid sites. Costs are between £5 - £10 a night. Only been on hookup one night and that wasnt out of choice (£12 a night). Been checking out some of the campsite prices though in Devon and Cornwall and they are eye watering. Maybe a lot of newbies have not discovered solar yet as the £30-£40 a night sites and almost as expensive EHU CL sites are busy, the Off grid CLs, virtually empty.

This was our pitch on one the other week. Our van is there somewhere. Only us there. £8. (lol)

1543924981_clsmall(Custom).jpg.c9ec9e0fd0baba5be1f70192dc1d53f2.jpg

From what I understand, if the same pitch is offered with with or without electric the price must reflect the cost of electric used, if there are 'electric pitches' and 'non electric pitches', there are no restrictions to the price.

...in addition, AIUI, "business" electricity is charged at 20% VAT, rather than the 5% levied on domestic customers, and, in the current climate, does not get the benefit of the domestic price cap, so the site is likely to be paying considerably more for the supply than you might otherwise think.

I have always argued that the cost of electricity in English campsites is too high.

But seven pounds seems reasonable to me for 16A.

In continental Europe it costs less (typically half but also less) but the available power is also lower.

Typically 6A, seldom 10 and often with a surcharge.

Usually higher in mountain areas but in Italy for example the typical current included in the price is 3A.

Enough for the needs of a normal vacation.

I have a roof air conditioner, with one exception it always worked in all campsites used in Europe.

Of course we don't use electric heaters, 2.5KW induction cookers, electric or microwave ovens, etc.

We just need gas (or diesel) heaters and the normal gas cookers that 99% of motorhomes are fitted with.

And those few who have an oven, it runs on gas.

Then given your bad food, who knows what you use them for, smile.

Max

Gman - 2022-07-08 7:14 PM

Looking through some sites today in North Wales, I saw one site charging £7.21 per day for a 16 amp EHU.

My last power bill at home was £37.99 for the previous month, (£1.26 per day) That's a 3 bed semi, TV on all

day, electric oven, lights on till bed time (12.00 midnight). £7.21X30=£216.30 p.m.

Steve.

How do you manage that? :-S

My energy provider increased my monthly DD from £68 pm to £172pm. Thats gas/electric, property is a 2/3 bed bungalow, and my tv is only used 2 or 3 hours a day. Also during winter I only use four radiators and close the rest off.

Energy prices in UK were allowed to spiral to ludicrous unaffordable amounts by setting a 54% price cap which has seen massive price increases everywhere that uses power, from fish 'n chip shops to factories. So it doesn't surprise me in the least a campsite charging £7.21 a day for electric.

Nothing is left on stand by, every bulb has been changed to LED, things are

turned if not being used, leave a room, turn off the lights. all appliances are A+

energy saving, Electric bill £37.99,June. gas bill £93.66 They come and read the meter,

(that's one month over winter a lot of heating on full). all accounts are fixed tariff.

I keep getting pestered to have smart meter fitted. (no way) only you can save power.

All my bills are paid in less than 12 hours of receipt, direct debits put them in control

of your money, your bank account is wide open, try to move away from DDs.

Get a water meter fitted if not already got one, £660.00 down to £345 in a year.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

I send my meter reading to the Southern electricity Company Gas and Electricity every month simple thing to do, they keep on to me to have a smart meter NO WAY I tell them unless you can demonstrate ANY advantage to me [ there are none , I know ] I am in control of my Direct Debits to them too, I am always in credit on my bills , I find it hard to see how some folks have to pay the huge Direct Debits they talk about, I have just [ MARCH ] moved to a variable tariff as it is cheaper than the fixed one they offered me, I pay £90 per month for my combined energy cost, 4 bed Bungalow 2 occupants NO BATHs just showers Gas Heating and water Electric cooking, no dish washer , no Tumble drier and all the usual other electrical bits and bobs, computers, telly, washing machine, toaster kettle microwave, We do however have a large wood burner in our Lounge and burn scrap wood and logs [ I have never paid for wood ever } when it gets chilly, and the central heating seldom runs as the heat from the wood burner over rides the thermostat which remains set at 70 degrees Fareinheight ?? Our gas boiler runs for an hour AM and an Hour PM for hot water which is more than enough hot water for our showers and domestic use, the boiler cycles on and off during these periods so it does not burn for the full 2 hours our attic is well insulated and we have cavity wall insulation, My central heating system is old school, we have a large fully insulated hot water storage tank that remains hot for a weekend when we are away in the van when the boiler is turned OFF Large radiators in every room and my system is single pipe and should not work at all according to the clever dicky heating engineers I have encountered and they tell me that no way will 2 showers gravity fed will work simultaneously , Well I have news for them they do and both showers running together, run very hot too hot if not turned down, we have 2 bathrooms mine and my wife's that is how the showers can run at the same time when needed, so frugal use of energy is possible using common sense and remaining in control,

as for hook ups on camping trips well we never , or very very seldom use the hook ups at all , last week end [ 4 nights ] we rallied at Chichester CCC rally in very high temperatures and other Campers on the Rally were on hook ups Why ?? well who knows each to their own of course,

Bulletguy - 2022-07-09 4:39 PM

My energy provider increased my monthly DD from £68 pm to £172pm. Thats gas/electric, property is a 2/3 bed bungalow, and my tv is only used 2 or 3 hours a day. Also during winter I only use four radiators and close the rest off.

Seems odd that your DD has gone up so much when the price cap has gone up 50%, some providers have been criticised for putting them up too much, is yours one of them, or have you come off a low tariff?

colin - 2022-07-21 9:28 AM

Seems odd that your DD has gone up so much when the price cap has gone up 50%, some providers have been criticised for putting them up too much, is yours one of them, or have you come off a low tariff?

Direct debits are set too take account of a whole years consumption, some times your account can show a debt and other times a credit depending on time of year and higher or lower consumption than planned on ., so any debit or credit is taken into account when the companies adjust the Direct Debit they want, that way there should not be a debit or surplus on an account at the end of the charging period , some folks do not consider this when their DD is changed ?

vindiboy - 2022-07-21 3:24 PM

colin - 2022-07-21 9:28 AM

Direct debits are set too take account of a whole years consumption, some times your account can show a debt and other times a credit depending on time of year and higher or lower consumption than planned on ., so any debit or credit is taken into account when the companies adjust the Direct Debit they want, that way there should not be a debit or surplus on an account at the end of the charging period , some folks do not consider this when their DD is changed ?

The energy suppliers Bulb, E.ON, Octopus Energy, Outfox the Market, Ovo, Shell and Utility Warehouse, have all been told by Ofgem to sort out their overcharging on DD's, this has come about due to excessive increases in DD's after the last price cap increase. On the face of it BG is being charged now what the DD should be after October, even taking in to account extra consumption in winter that isn't correct, the energy suppliers listed above are over borrowing against their customers, this doesn't surprise me as despite years of data E.ON did just that to me, when I questioned them about it they had no good answer.

Archived