EHU

Seanyboy

Morning. Question regarding EHU. Is it ok to leave the van permanently plugged in to the mains electricity supply at home while the motorhome isn't in use. Concerned it may potentially damage the batteries.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Sean, Rapido, 925F

I used to do that on my old m/h and never had an issue. After reading loads of "rubbish" oops I mean advice, on the internet I now keep it plugged in on a timer and it comes on two hours a day. If you've got yours plugged in, adding a cheapo timer for a fiver would be a good move IMHO.

I don't have the fridge on when it's at home but do switch the fridge on and timer off the night before we're going to use it

If your MH has CBE electrics, probably OK, as CBE chargers stop charging and monitor the battery voltage.

Our PVC is connected 24/7, and is only on second set of habitation batteries in over 12 years. The slight disadvantage is that the neon indicator incorporated in the charger mains switch gradually darkens.

Alan

arthur49 - 2019-06-01 10:40 AM

Check this out http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ehu-full-time-yes-or-no.php

The whole website is worth a read incidentally

Yes, indeed, interesting stuff on the charging of batteries. Our manufacturer recommends / insists that the batteries (main and engine) be physically switched off if the van is not to be used for periods of a week or more. This brings problems of resetting clocks and of course alarms would not be active.

Maybe the answer is to monitor the systems and just recharge the batteries on a regular basis, without letting them go flat. So, the question arises, will the batteries last longer if being used and then recharged, or disconnected and re-connected when the van is next used.

As we use our van on a regular basis, sometimes on EHU and sometimes on solar, will the batteries be maintained in good condition?

ColinM50 - 2019-06-01 10:16 AMI used to do that on my old m/h and never had an issue. After reading loads of "rubbish" oops I mean advice, on the internet I now keep it plugged in on a timer and it comes on two hours a day. If you've got yours plugged in, adding a cheapo timer for a fiver would be a good move IMHO. I don't have the fridge on when it's at home but do switch the fridge on and timer off the night before we're going to use it

ColinM50, I did exactly as you suggested skipper, popped in to a well known supplier to the building trade and purchased one. It's actually a 24HR mechanical timer, by MASTERPLUG. It's plugged in and doing what it says on the tin :-)

Thank you all that replied to my post.

Sean Clark Rapido, 924F

Seanyboy - 2019-06-01 3:24 PM
ColinM50 - 2019-06-01 10:16 AMI used to do that on my old m/h and never had an issue. After reading loads of "rubbish" oops I mean advice, on the internet I now keep it plugged in on a timer and it comes on two hours a day. If you've got yours plugged in, adding a cheapo timer for a fiver would be a good move IMHO. I don't have the fridge on when it's at home but do switch the fridge on and timer off the night before we're going to use it

ColinM50, I did exactly as you suggested skipper, popped in to a well known supplier to the building trade and purchased one. It's actually a 24HR mechanical timer, by MASTERPLUG. It's plugged in and doing what it says on the tin :-)

Thank you all that replied to my post.

Sean Clark Rapido, 924F

Most "smart" chargers will start up and apply a bulk (or main) charge for several hours before dropping back to a float charge. Depending on the charger (and battery), you could do more damage to the battery by switching the charger on each day and so give the battery 2 hours at a high charge rate every 24 hours.There was a similar post awhile back about using timers that may be of interest.[url=] https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Long-Interval-EHU-Timer/50698/ [/url]

Archived