ELDDIS AUTOQUEST 200RL TEST DRIVE

Guest Andy

Guest Nick Miller
Three things come quickly to mind supposing it is based upon a Fiat/Peugeot base. If it has a 2.2 or 2.3 HDI engine you should have no problems but find a hill to point it at.Remembering that it is probably empty of gas water and other travellers;Can you live with the acceleration/climbing ability. Try and find a spot where you can drive above 60mph to see if you are troubled by the well documented turbulance noise around the top of the Sevel cab doors. Listen out for any unexplainable creaks and squeeks from the conversion that might get on your nerves after a few hours driving. Good Luck N

Guest Nick Miller
Three things come quickly to mind supposing it is based upon a Fiat/Peugeot base. If it has a 2.2 or 2.3 HDI engine you should have no problems but find a hill to point it at.Remembering that it is probably empty of gas water and other travellers;Can you live with the acceleration/climbing ability. Try and find a spot where you can drive above 60mph to see if you are troubled by the well documented turbulance noise around the top of the Sevel cab doors. Listen out for any unexplainable creaks and squeeks from the conversion that might get on your nerves after a few hours driving. Good Luck N

Hi Andy, I would guess your intended van would possible be a peoguet 2 litre diesil on the short wheelbase chassis with rear lounge,like mine only I have a 05 special dealer Exlorer. I am very pleased with mine and find the 2 ltr engine more than powerfull enough, 70-80 mph on motorways if you need to,and very stable if loaded correctly. Most of the heavy fittings are between the axles but most of the storage space is to the rear of the back axle and needs to be loaded with care because of the body overhang. Another point is I have to watch any ramps or unheven ground with this overhang. Its a nice size van to park and ideal for 2 people with plenty of lightweight storage space in the luton. If the one your looking at as been cared for you wont go wrong, Chas

Andy When you do your test drive (assuming you ain't done it yet!) make sure you try to manoeuvre it as it you were parking etc, they are okay to drive forwards but most people, if they are going to have a problem, tend to have it going backwards. Also think about the length of the vehicle - are you going to be able to find suitable parking spaces for it as you travel around, if it's too big you could regret it. We've got a Fiat 2.3JTD engined Rapido (18'3") and in comparison to the Fiat 2.8JTD, the 2.3 is like a racing car ... I have to keep reminding my husband he's in a motorhome! The 2.0 litre versions are okay on small, and I mean, small motorhomes, I wouldn't recommend it in anything over 18 feet though, no matter how convicing the dealer is. My suggestion is to try similar sized motorhomes with various engine options, you can judge the difference yourself then and can choose which suits you best. Also remember that there are lots of motorhomes out there and don't jump at the first one you see, have a really good look around and make sure that the conversion you are getting really suits the way you want to use it, go through the routine of pretending you are sleeping, cooking, eating, washing, lounging etc in it, opening doors, re-arranging bed cushions, even making sure you can get the freezer compartment door open (you'd be surprised how many can only be opened a bit!). Let us know how you get on.

Mel B. Thanks for your advice, this model is only 18ft long and i have tried it and it drives fine.i am taking delivery this friday, i must admit i didnt open the freezer compartment ( knew i should of took the wife along for the test drive)however it was her favourite when we first went looking. So touch wood we should be happy with our purchase freezer compartment and all. Thanks to all who responded. Andy

Hi Andy I bet you're getting excited now! Don't be tempted to hit the dealer shops for bits and pieces, go to car boot sales, charity shops etc for them, or even some of the cheaper Pound shops, supermarkets etc, you'll find a lot of what you need and at a fraction of the cost. Same with gas bottles, you don't have to buy a new one from the dealer , you can usually source one elsewhere much cheaper, if not free such as at the local tip, or the Calor bottle suppliers themselves. Oh, make sure you take a pen and paper and write down what you are being told about how things work, it may take more time but it's worth it as, once you're at home or on a camp site you'll be scratching your head trying to remember ... trust me, we've done it! Welcome to the 'club'! Mel

Archived