ETHER GAS DETECTORS

Guest Andy B

Guest Andy B
Advise on which one to purchase would be most helpfup and, if anyone has purchased one, comments on the model pse. I was looking at a G.A.S. PLUG (12/24v plugs into cig lighter socket)produced by THITRONIK. Small but effective (I'm told by salesman!)

Problems with items which plug into the cig lighter 1 Our cig lighter is at the forn tin thr cab area 2 The ignition has to be on for the cig socket to be live 3 the detector should be close to the sleeping area

Guest AUDREY
Is there anyone out there who can say, first hand, that they have been gassed? All the stories we have heared, relating to this subject, have happened to a friend of a friend etc. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced it and to hear if they were very ill after the event. Did they find out what kind of gas was used and how was it administered? The other thing that puzzles me is how did the robbers know how much gas to use and where would they get it from? Would a detector wake one up in time??

As, I believe, that gas is heavier than air it will sink to ground level initially. Therefore any detector should be located at ground level for an early warning. We have a detector fitted by Van Bitz at Taunton. It's very sensitive and will alarm even at the sniff of adhesives in the area.

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris
To Audrey The gas is easily and cheaply obtained from garages or car parts supliers . It's "Easy Start" or any such for assisting the starting of diesel engines. Just pump it in. I have two alerts one at either end of the motorhome, wired in. Only because I am one of those guys that believes that if you are going to do the job. Do it right. Which means I generally "over egg" the pudding Sleep tight!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to gas a motorhomer follow these instructions. 1 - Buy a can of ether from a garage and spray it into selected van. This small amount either escapes through the floor vents or the roof vents. Foiled! 2 - Buy a huge tank of ether (believe me - you'll need a huge amount of ether to fill the average motorhome - see below) squirt this in (taking care not to be observed backing your ether tanker up to the target motorhome) and, hoping that there are no dogs on board, (the amount of gas needed to render the average human insensible will certainly kill the average spaniel) break into the van and steal the contents. Better wear a gas-mask though because, remember, you are stepping into an atmosphere that contains sleeping gas (well, as much sleeping gas as hasn't escaped through the door you just opened) and you don't want to be rendered unconscious yourself. Be quick because ether is a VERY short acting gas and once the occupants start breathing clear air again they are going to wake up. DO NOT SMOKE!!! Should you enter the van with a cigarette in your mouth the resultant explosion is going to see you and the van hurtling skywards faster than an Apollo rocket. (The ether is sold to start engines, remember, and is highly inflammable.) Better hope the occupants didn't leave a candle burning too. Actually, you would be well advised to study medicine for 5 years and then take the exams for the Royal College of Anaethetists too because (in the words of one anaesthetist I spoke to) "The difference between awake, unconscious and dead is very small - that's why they don't let just anyone sedate patients in hospitals!" FACT 1 - the amount of ether needed to fill the interior of a motorhome of average size (say, 18 feet by 6 feet by 7 feet) is 756 cubic feet. You have to fill the motorhome because you won't know (in the case of my van)whether the occupants are sleeping up high in the pull-down bed at the front or down low in the fixed rear bed at the back. FACT 2 - You have to pump sleeping gas in faster than it can escape and all motorhomes are designed from scratch to vent gas to prevent the risk of explosion should, for example, the pipe to your boiler/fridge/heater spring a leak. That means a can of Quick Start is never going to be able to perform that task. FACT 3 - On Monday morning I woke with a headache in my motorhome. Strangely I hadn't been robbed. Mind you, I hadn't been gassed either - but I might have had one glass of red wine too many the night before. Luckily, when I checked that the carpet (which we had wrapped my dead Granny in to bring her back from Spain) was still on the roofrack (see Urban Legend number 43). People get robbed in motorhomes. People have their drinks spiked sometimes. Some nasty people are skilled at breaking into motorhomes in the night without waking the occupants. Some people are makng money by selling "narcotic alarms" on the back of Urban Myths. Be on your guard agains these people!

Andy H Sometimes it's worth buying things just for peace of mind and in any case I am a gadget freak. i doubt if anybody has got as many gadgets on a motor home as I have.My business was inventing and I cannot get out of it even though I have now retired.. regards to all readers. Now there's a challenge for you out there what gadget do I NEED?. I am looking forward to the York show to see whats's new in the gadget field. Am I just the biggest sucker?????

• 2 weeks later...
If you like gadgets, how about an intercom £12.99 from Maplins.I can now hold a conversation with the wife whilst I,m driving and she,s sitting at the back.No more missing half the conversation because of road or wind noise.No more sore throats repeating and raising my voice.Just a sore ear occasionally !!!!!

Andy B Not having a wife, having had three,and not wanting another.I don't think it would be usefull. Can you turn it off if she starts going going a bit ? Peter

Archived