EU passport in a GB motorhome

HarveyHeaven

Can you provide a link that states that, please? I was under the impression that - as a general rule - 6 months was the critical time-period.

This link refers to vehicle registation

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/registration-abroad/index_en.htm

France is nor specifically covered, but the ’Sample story’ sems to indicate that a 6-months rule applies there.

Sample story

Know the rules to avoid fines

Cristina from Spain found a job in France and moved there. In a couple of months, she decided to bring her Spanish registered car to France but didn't re-register it there. She regularly used her car to go to work, however, the traffic police who were carrying out a routine check stopped her on one occasion. As she was driving with a Spanish registration plate, she was given a large fine because Cristina didn't know that in France she needs to re-register her car within 6 months after changing her main residence to a French one.

The link seems to be referring to people who move to an EU country rather than visiting it. So I’m wondering whether if someone remains resident in for instance the UK and motorhomes in France for say seven months whether the six month vehicle registration rule would actually apply.

BruceM - 2020-07-31 9:28 AM

The link seems to be referring to people who move to an EU country rather than visiting it. So I’m wondering whether if someone remains resident in for instance the UK and motorhomes in France for say seven months whether the six month vehicle registration rule would actually apply.

Unless the law has changed since I retired, it was always the case that a foreign registered vehicle could only remain in circulation within the UK for 6 months before it needed to be registered in this country. I believe that EU law only confirms what has previously been established in international conventions.

So I interpret the word "move" as meaning to change location, rather than to assume residence. If you take the vehicle out of the foreign country within 6 months of arrival, even for a day, my understanding is that the "clock" starts again, but anyone doing that solely with that intention in mind ought to cover themselves by obtaining satisfactory evidence of their exit and return.

On the other side of the coin, if you take your vehicle to a foreign country knowing at the outset that it will be staying there for more than 6 months it has always been my understanding that it should be re-registered at the outset. In practice, re-registering a foreign vehicle in another country unless you are actually a resident may be very difficult if not impossible to achieve, so the rules effectively limit a continuous stay in a country other than that in which the vehicle was registered to a continuous 6 months.

Deneb - 2020-07-31 9:52 AM

BruceM - 2020-07-31 9:28 AM

Unless the law has changed since I retired, it was always the case that a foreign registered vehicle could only remain in circulation within the UK for 6 months before it needed to be registered in this country. I believe that EU law only confirms what has previously been established in international conventions.

So I interpret the word "move" as meaning to change location, rather than to assume residence. If you take the vehicle out of the foreign country within 6 months of arrival, even for a day, my understanding is that the "clock" starts again, but anyone doing that solely with that intention in mind ought to cover themselves by obtaining satisfactory evidence of their exit and return.

On the other side of the coin, if you take your vehicle to a foreign country knowing at the outset that it will be staying there for more than 6 months it has always been my understanding that it should be re-registered at the outset. In practice, re-registering a foreign vehicle in another country unless you are actually a resident may be very difficult if not impossible to achieve, so the rules effectively limit a continuous stay in a country other than that in which the vehicle was registered to a continuous 6 months.

A further point is that if a UK registered vehicle is continuously absent from UK for more than 6 months, it is deemed to have been exported. I don't know how this might be checked, or what the practical consequences might be, but by checking ferry/chunnel records against the reg No I imagine reasonable evidence of absence could be established.

Brian Kirby - 2020-07-31 1:09 PM

A further point is that if a UK registered vehicle is continuously absent from UK for more than 6 months, it is deemed to have been exported. I don't know how this might be checked, or what the practical consequences might be, but by checking ferry/chunnel records against the reg No I imagine reasonable evidence of absence could be established.

Where do you get 6 months from Brian? The UK government website seems to suggest 12 months

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

webpax - 2020-07-31 10:03 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-07-31 1:09 PM

Where do you get 6 months from Brian? The UK government website seems to suggest 12 months

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

Apologies. My mistake: you're right.

I should have checked, but had gained the clear, but clearly wrong, impression that the barrier fell at 6 months.

Having said that, one would have to be careful to get VED, insurance, and MoT (where required) renewals all aligned to be able to travel abroad for much longer than 11 months or so, and doing that would definitely require some kind of extended visa if visiting EU or Schengen countries long term, and presumably similar if doing likewise in non-EU / non-Schengen states.

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-01 11:48 AM

Apologies. My mistake: you're right.

I should have checked, but had gained the clear, but clearly wrong, impression that the barrier fell at 6 months.

I'm sorry, I was wrong as well. In my post above substitute 12 months for every instance of 6 months that I mentioned. The 6 month period relates to driving licences and is the point from which a person driving in a foreign country and who intends to remain there for more than 12 months, can arrange to take a test to obtain the relevant domestic licence that they will require to be able to continue to drive after 12 months.

That doesn't currently apply to holders of licences issued within the EU, as a licence issued by any member state retains its entitlement in any other.

We kept 3 Canadian registered campers in storage in NL, each for several years (the 3rd one for 8 years). Not legal, but not checked on either. Problems arise if you are regularly driving in one country, effectively a resident. We would fly over twice a year for 6-8 week trips. Never questioned about the vehicle, although of course we had air tix showing we had recently entered.

Archived